Maybe my ovary didn't survive? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Maybe my ovary didn't survive? Maybe my ovary didn't survive?

Unread 11-08-2002, 04:59 PM
Maybe my ovary didn't survive?

I had my uterus removed 6 weeks ago. Since the surgery I have had most of my discomfort on the left side. Laughing, coughing, sneezing, climbing stairs or getting in and out of cars requires me to hold my left side, slightly above my large bikini incision. Even the left side of my incision looks like it went through the war. (Maybe they tore me?) Lately, the dicomfort is there inside all the time, just in different degrees, and sometimes it throbs.

Today I had my 6 week visit with DR, and I told him about it. I described the pain and location, and we both said at the same time "and it goes right through to my back". He made a face like he was expecting this to happen. This isn't the first time he has had the "I know something happened in there" look when discussing my left side. (My DH calls it the "Seinfeld Junior Mint" look. I hope some of you remember that episode.)

Much to my dismay, he has released me back to work, because I was only allowed 6 weeks recovery. He then said it may be the pressure of the weight of my spare tire causing the problem, and if I still have discomfort in 2 weeks, call. I'm not sure about the spare tire theory because it hurts if I stand, sit, or lay on my back or sides. And if I apply pressure there it feels better til I let go.

I'm starting to think my left ovary got roughed up a little too much while they were deciding to remove it or not, and maybe it didn't survive. I have passive PCOS, so I couldn't be ovulating - especially for 6 weeks - What else could it be? It has to be something, because he knew exactly what I was going to say.

Anyone else have trouble with ovaries left behind?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2002, 06:03 PM

Hi, Joanne (that's my middle name ):

I'm wondering, with the PCOS, whether or not your doctor is thinking "cyst" as he gets that look on his face. Intestinal problems and rectoceles can also cause that sort of back pain.

Have you considered (or are you already wearing) support panties of some type? Since you are "stuck" going back to work, it may help with the support that you say makes you feel better (you say when you press on the spot, it improves). I know that did help for the first few weeks back at work in my case.

I would just ask him, pointblank, what he was thinking when he said along with you that the pain radiated to your back. Obviously something was going through his mind when he made that statement!

Certainly with PCOS, recurrent cysts can be a possibility and may not be a surprise. The blood supply to the ovaries is considerably, shall we say, "re-arranged" in the course of a hysterectomy, and not all ovaries are pleased with the new "accomodations" that they find themselves in.

You might want to ask about doing an ultrasound or some other diagnostic procedure to "see" what is really going on. But unless you're a mindreader (I wish I was!) I would be calling back, or faxing, and asking him to explain just exactly how he knew where this pain was.

Please do be careful these first weeks back at work. They are very fatiguing, whether you work at a physical job or desk job. This is a time to be kind to yourself, and live on takeout for those dinners!

Audrey
Unread 11-08-2002, 08:28 PM

Hi Joanne. I'm very curious to hear what you find out. I still have my ovaries and am afraid of the same thing. Please know that I'm thinking of you and will check back to find out what your doc has to say. That is weird that he knew what you were going to say. And yes, I saw the Seinfeld with the junior mint. That was funny (glad it was not me).

s, Missy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register