Upcoming hysterectomy 2/27: Pre-op pain management - what worked for your bad pain? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 2/27: Pre-op pain management - what worked for your bad pain? Upcoming hysterectomy 2/27: Pre-op pain management - what worked for your bad pain?

Unread 02-20-2019, 02:15 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 2/27: Pre-op pain management - what worked for your bad pain?

My surgery (th da Vinci ) removing ovaries, Cervix, uterus including a golf ball sized fibroid in my uterus. I’m in a lot of pain that has only been made somewhat manageable with Toradol. Today is this last day that I can take it before surgery. I’m horrified. The pain has sent my to emergency on several occasions before the Toradol. Any advice on managing the pain until surgery? I can take Tylenol per my doctor but that never works. Did anyone have this problem? If so what helped you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2019, 07:17 PM
Re: Pre-op pain management

Are you not allowed to take Advil and such either? Is that because of the bleeding risk?
Can you see if they can give you some Vicodin or Tramodol before? Or do those not work for you either?
If you haven’t tried them, and your doc won’t provide them, I would honestly go to the er/urgent care if the pain does get out of control as expected and explain you can’t take toradol or nsaids because of surgery, but that you just need enough of something to get to surgery. I had a similar situation where I needed the meds so I could make it to surgery without killing myself (it was really bad) and ER docs are pretty reasonable about giving you something when you have a specific issue (your fibroid in this case) AND You have a surgical date set, so there’s a concrete fix scheduled and end to when you will need them, how many you need,etc.

Otherwise. Allllll the hot packs, baths with Epsom salts, trying to rest as much as possible with whatever sleeping meds you need. Kratom has also helped me with pain if that is available to you but I don’t know if that is safe before surgery.

I hope you get through this ok. Just hang on and try not to worry about ANYTHING else. Your body needs you to rest.
<3
Unread 02-20-2019, 07:55 PM
Re: Pre-op pain management

Hi Carebear84 -

If your doctor said only Tylenol, then it is only Tylenol. Do not take anything else, including narcotics, without your doctor's approval. Do not trust the ER doctor to make any determination of what is safe for a patient about to have surgery.

Here are articles that may help:
Do This - Not That: Managing Pain Before Hysterectomy
Period Pain before Hysterectomy
Waiting for Hysterectomy Surgery | Pain

Hopefully other women will provide ideas for what worked for them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2019, 11:07 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 2/27: Pre-op pain management - what worked for your bad pain?

Sorry, I didn’t mean to imply doing anything against your doctors instructions. I don’t know if he said you couldn’t have anything. A lot of docs just don’t seem to take pain seriously (think you can suck it up till surgery) so if they are uncomfortable perscribing opioid pain meds they usually tell you to go to the er if it gets too bad. By all means, you should check with your doctor/the surgical nurse before taking any new medication before surgery. I just don’t want you to suffer unecessarily. I’m not a doctor and don’t know all your medical indications but I personally have always been allowed my pain meds before surgeries.
Unread 02-21-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnymoon View Post
Sorry, I didn’t mean to imply doing anything against your doctors instructions. I don’t know if he said you couldn’t have anything. A lot of docs just don’t seem to take pain seriously (think you can suck it up till surgery) so if they are uncomfortable perscribing opioid pain meds they usually tell you to go to the er if it gets too bad. By all means, you should check with your doctor/the surgical nurse before taking any new medication before surgery. I just don’t want you to suffer unecessarily. I’m not a doctor and don’t know all your medical indications but I personally have always been allowed my pain meds before surgeries.

There are plenty of medical reasons as to why surgeon forbid the use of many pain killers and natural supplements prior to surgery, mostly due to minimize risks during surgery.

For most of us experiencing pain prior to surgery, we had to use Tylenol and heating pads only.

On the bright side, it will get better!
Unread 02-23-2019, 02:58 PM

When it got too bad for me about two weeks ago, I went to the ER that is where I'm going to have my surgery. That way they could see notes, call my doc, etc. I also had my doc tell me he couldn't prescribe anything else narcotic, that I would have to go to my PCP. I did. She told me that since I've got a surgery date, she didn't have a problem prescribing me pain meds to get me through. I also have a rice pack that I use when I can sit down.
I'm so sorry you're in this much pain. It sucks. Almost there!!!
Unread 02-23-2019, 03:57 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 2/27: Pre-op pain management - what worked for your bad pain?

Thanks to everyone for the advice and most of all the support.
It really does help to know that I’m not alone in this. I will continue to post as I travel this journey...it won’t be long now.
Unread 02-26-2019, 02:56 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 2/27: Pre-op pain management - what worked for your bad pain?

I had a migraine before surgery. I couldn’t take anything. I called my doc. Nope. My go to for migraines has been excederin and a unisom. Told nope on all of it. I called my sister. She darkened my whole house, took care of my dog, then walked to all my neighbors and told them “Kim has a migraine, she can’t take pain meds, please try to keep quiet. She is having a hysterectomy in a couple days....” Had an ice pack on my face and neck for a day. It sucked. I thought I was gonna die. That and period cramps.

My point: use the Tylenol. Then have someone there to help. Feel better.
Unread 02-26-2019, 03:44 AM

Thank you for the advice. I’m sorry about your migraine. I will take the Tylenol lol

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register