When a rectocele is not JUST a rectocele | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When a rectocele is not JUST a rectocele When a rectocele is not JUST a rectocele

Unread 11-09-2002, 08:28 AM
When a rectocele is not JUST a rectocele

If you have been diagnoised with a rectocele please get testing done BEFORE surgery. My rectocele repair did not improve my symptoms. I am now faced with another surgery that could have been done at the time of my hysterectomy had it been known.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2002, 08:35 AM
could you be more specific?

No testing was done on me at all, now feeling a bit scared! I described my symptoms and doc said "good call!" Proctologist said "good call!" too. Already had four other rectal procedures related to a fistula and I don't want any more messing around with that area of my body.
Unread 11-10-2002, 01:33 PM

The reason I wrote this is because after my rectocele surgery I did not get any relief. I then found out that only 46% of rectocele repairs are successful. But; with further tests as to the true problems the repair can be done at the same time as the hysterectomy. I am now faced with another surgery. I am unhappy with how my doctor handled this--she said she knew what she was doing and would check all maners out when she got in there. The trust was broken more than once on her part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-10-2002, 01:42 PM

Oh Janice, I remember your process; the diagnosis, the waiting, the prep, and then finally surgery and the long recovery. I'm so sorry you are now facing this. What a dissapointment!

It's kind of you to think of all your sisters and to put out a warning. I'm sure many have read it already. Thanks. Take care.
Unread 11-10-2002, 05:09 PM

I had a rectocele repair, and am 9 weeks post op and don't feel 100% down there either ......I am going to see the dr tomorrow to find out what is going on. I still feel a slight bulge, but did have 2 drs' opinions that it was a grade 4 rectocele....May I ask what your problem was????? and what further surgery you need....Good luck!
Unread 11-10-2002, 07:01 PM

I have a prolapsed rectum--internal. I do not stand for long times nor do I sit for long times. I still use a donut. I see the surgeon 11/19/02. my goal is to have no more feelings of "falling out". I know there are more tests that are going to be done to make sure there is nothing else that needs tacked back up---I want this to be my last surgery. I will say I did get a lot of relief from my hysterectomy,MMK and cysteocele repair---on to repair the rectum. I do want to say that a lot of my problems I think were due to having twins and the second one being born feet first. Janice72
Unread 11-10-2002, 07:08 PM

Janice......may I ask how you found out it was actually a prolapsed rectum, and what your symptoms were.

Thankyou,
Debbie
Unread 11-16-2002, 12:05 PM

My symptoms are:
I can wipe and wipe and wipe and more feces keeps coming out.
I leak when I walk or stand for periods of time.
I do not feel my rectum is empty.
I am woken up to severe back aches/bowel movements at 4,,5,,6,,7 A.M.
I have severe tailbone pain---I do not know if this is related.
Lower back pain lessens with BM's.
My left side is tender.
Hope this answers your questions--------Janice
Unread 11-16-2002, 03:21 PM

(((((Janice)))))) wow....that sounds awful ......I hope your next surgery goes well.

I did see my doctor, cause after reading your post I was concerned about my rectocele not JUST being a rectocele, but she assured me all was well, and that I was just taking a longer time to heal.

Thankyou for informing me of the symptoms. I do not have that leaking problem, but do know of a male friend that has that, and HIS surgeon repaired him as a rectocele repair, and 2 months later now he is leaking again!!!!!......I Bet he as the prolapsed rectum ........

Please let me know how you do?

Sincerely,

Debbie
Unread 11-17-2002, 05:48 AM
Very interested

I have a suspected rectocele (I'm pretty convinced about it) but do not return to see my surgeon until April - I guess he's giving me plenty of time to recover from hyst? He wouldn't do it same time as TAH stating it would be too much for me to deal with?

I am really concerned about what recovery will be like and how it is actually repaired? I've read that having big babies/assisted deliveries can contribute to the condition occuring but only recently realised that it is also a symptom (and diagnostic criteria) for a condition known as Hypermobility Syndrome, which I have. This is basically a connective tissue disorder, means my ligaments etc are rather stretchy and sometimes not supportive enough to do their job. (mostly manifested as joint trouble/pain)

My concern is that they could try and repair but that it could happen all over again but then considering that I won't be giviing birth again maybe the repair would stay good?

I get a bulge at the entrance to my vagina and I cannot have a normal/natural bowel movement without 'splinting' with my thumb or fingers into the vagina and giving it a good push. I never really feel as I have 'emptied'. Despite wiping and wiping, I never get completely clean - means I am quite tender at times.

I am not familiar with how these are 'graded' - how many or what symptoms must present themselves for the different grades???

Any info at all would be appreciated...I'm in a kind of limbo about it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register