I need help for a freind with thyroid cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I need help for a freind with thyroid cancer I need help for a freind with thyroid cancer

Unread 11-11-2002, 02:38 PM
I need help for a freind with thyroid cancer

Hi sisters

My friend is going in for surgery on Thursday to remove her thyroid due to cancer. She is of course worried and has a million questions on what her life will be like after surgery. Does anyone know of a website like this one where she can go for answers and to talk to others recovering from this type of surgery? We are so lucky to have eachother and this site, I wish she could find comfort like I have through my recovery.

Thanks for your help.

Terri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2002, 03:09 PM

Although I do not know of a site for thyroid cancer, I bet there is one, and I just wanted to say I have known several people who have had that surgery and done well. I am an 8 yr. breast cancer survivor myself. Hugs. Maryalice
Unread 11-11-2002, 04:49 PM

Hi TeeCee, here are a few sites to get you started:

Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

endocrineweb.com

medline thyroid

Hope this helps!
s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2002, 04:59 PM

I just want to send to your friend!! I was 3 months pregnant when doc discovered huge tumor on thyroid and they were very worried and negative at first (tests that were done pointed to possible cancer...I even had docs who were total strangers stop me and ask if I knew about my lump on thyroid it was so large!) ) I did not want surg to compromise pregnancy, and finally went to cancer doc who was very reassuring.

He said that thyroid cancer is one of the better cancers for cure and outcomes. It is slow growing and usually totally encapsulated within the thyroid and does not metastisize(go elsewhere). He said that is much more common in men than women, and that there was no reason I could not wait untill baby was born to have surgery to remove.

When baby was 6 weeks I had surgery and did very well, and the tumor was benign after all!! That was over 17 years ago, and my scar is barely visible now.

Best of Luck!!
Unread 11-11-2002, 05:44 PM

I had my thyroid removed 3 years ago due to a large growth. The drs prepared me that it might be cancer but turned out to be benign. Drs told me that thyroid cancer is one of the easiest to recover from. The cancer is contained to the thyroid and does not spread. The surgery was really pretty easy and I was up and around in a couple of days and back to work in a week. Your friend will have to go on thyroid medication for the rest of her life. In my case it took several adjustment to get the dosage right but now I feel great. I hope everything works out well for her.

Sherry
Unread 11-11-2002, 08:03 PM

Hi Terri!

's to you! How nice it is that you're tracking down info for your friend. I can certainly understand her wanting information.

There are quick a few sites listed at the top of this forum under the "Helpful links" thread. Alot are geared toward Gyn cancers specifically but alot have other areas that they deal with as well.

I wish your friend well and hope that all turns out well for her.

{{Hugs}}

Vicki

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register