Surprise Hospital Stay | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surprise Hospital Stay Surprise Hospital Stay

Unread 11-12-2002, 06:52 AM
Surprise Hospital Stay

Last Tues, my left thigh started to swell. By Wed, My leg was swollen from toe to groin. I called my doc and he ordered a CT abd & pelvis (blocked lymph system?) and an US of leg (dvt/clot?).
Tests showed I had a clot from my left knee to my left groin and also in my vena cava. Doc said they could put a vein disolver(streptokinase) up my femoral vein to the vena cava, with hemorrage including brain hemorrage being a main complication. We decided to forgo anything that cause more complications. So I was put in the hospital for heparin IV.

The hospital didn't have any private rooms. I told them that I was a chemo patient with a WBC of 2.4 and a Retic Count of 12,000 and wanted to avoid any hospital germs as much as possible. They put me in a double room but kept the 2nd bed unoccupied for the entire stay. I was discharged yesterday on Coumadin and compression stockings. This is my 2nd blood clot so this time I will have to be on Coumadin for long term.

I had to cancel my appoint with my gyn-onc on monday (the day I was released from the hospital). I did give an update to his nurse and hopefull she passed the info to him. He is about 100 miles away so I haven't seen him since Sept. but have talked to his nurse several times. My local oncologist visited every day at the hospital. I will see him 11/29.

If my blood work looks good , I will be able to have my 3rd chemo treatment Thurs. I don't want to delay them anymore. (Had to wait 2 weeks to begin to clear a would infection).

I have been unable to work because of my blood counts and the danger my patients might put me in. Also my mother (a long term stroke patient in a nursing home) died 2 weeks ago. So this is a pretty dark period for me.

I know things can only get better. You don't know how much just reading this site, and being alowed to vent helps me. Thanks to all for listening

Ruth S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-12-2002, 07:52 AM
Ruth--BIG Hug Here

Atop the delay in chemo to start, your mom's death--this you didn't need! I'm glad you and the doctors were on top of the seriousness of this. May you have that third chemo this week and no more problems and for that I'll add a big er for you. Too much for anyone in a short time!
Unread 11-12-2002, 09:52 AM
Surprise Hospital Stay

Huge s Ruth

I am so sorry to read all that you have been going through!!!!! Sometimes I wish hardships could be more evenly dealt out. Enough is enough.
I sure hope everything gets back on track soon so that you can get your chemo finished up.
I too was not permitted to work as a nurse during chemo. My doc wanted me totally out of the hospital setting. You were wise to insist on not sharing your room with another patient. Those hospital acquired infections are the worst to cure.
Best wishes to you Ruth. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

s karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-14-2002, 06:54 AM
Surprise Hospital Stay

{{Ruth}}

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your mom. 's to you.

You certainly have your plate full right now with all this happening at once. I hope you're getting lots of rest to keep up your strength during all of this. That hospital visit must have been really scary for you, I'm so glad they were able to get you taken care of and get you released.

I'll be saying an extra prayer that your counts are good to go for your treatment. Please keep us updated on how things go.

{{Hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 11-15-2002, 02:30 PM
Surprise Hospital Stay

Hi Ruth...
Sorry to hear about the loss of your mom and everything else that you have had to deal with.
That taxol and carboplatin chemo are not much fun.. I know, i have been thru it.. just finished in september. But i will tell you that i did work the entire time and i also work in a very very germy place... I teach nursery school and worked over the summer in the camp. Was I tired??? Yes , sometimes but i kept on pushing because working made me feel better. My oncologist says that people who continue to work during chemo treatments do better than those that sit around. So i did try to keep my life as normal as possible.
Good luck on your next treatment.. just think,,, after #3 you are halfway there!!
Rosalie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register