Upcoming abdominal hysterectomy 4/29/19. How long before your could go upstairs to your own bedroom? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming abdominal hysterectomy 4/29/19.   How long before your could go upstairs to your own bedroom? Upcoming abdominal hysterectomy 4/29/19. How long before your could go upstairs to your own bedroom?

Unread 04-23-2019, 09:02 AM
Upcoming abdominal hysterectomy 4/29/19. How long before your could go upstairs to your own bedroom?

Hello Beautiful and Helpful Hyster-Sisters!

TAH-BSO scheduled for 4/29 (gulp) and I have a question for anyone who has had a TAH and lives in a two-story home like me. After discharge how long before you could go upstairs to your own bedroom?

Was your experience more comfortable lying flat on the couch or sitting in a recliner? Any tips on pillows? Thanks, sisters! Trying to swat away the "worry-bugs" and stay positive!

Your friend,
Smileysong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2019, 12:34 PM
Re: TAH-BSO scheduled 4/29/19. How long before your could go upstairs to your own bedroom?

It will vary but most women can do stairs right away, just take it slow and hold onto the hand rail. I stayed 2 nights in the hospital and was easily able to do the 7 stairs from my entrance to the main level when I got home. I was comfortable in my recliner but also had no issue lying flat, I could even sleep on my side with a pillow tucked I to my belly.
Unread 04-23-2019, 01:06 PM
Re: TAH-BSO scheduled 4/29/19. How long before your could go upstairs to your own bedroom?

I did a full flight of stairs, up and down, five days after my TAH/BSO. I held onto the handrail and took the steps slowly, placing both feet on each step before going on to the next one.

I'd suggest a bit of planning to avoid *unnecessary* trips. And don't carry anything.

I don't have a recliner. I slept curled up on my side, with a pillow tucked against my belly for support. When I was awake, I was usually either sitting upright or walking. Sometimes my abs would start to burn a bit, and I'd curl up on my side to read or nap so they could have a break. Generally by the second day after surgery I was fairly mobile.

By me, you can not have too many pillows. I hit a sale on throw pillows at Walmart before surgery and bought half a dozen for $30. They made any place I wanted to sit or lie down more comfortable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2019, 03:00 PM

I didn't have stairs to contend with - but I can say confidently that I would have been okay with going up and down them by the time I went home from the hospital. Having said that - I don't mean to make it sound simple. For the first few days at home, I wouldn't get in or out of bed unless I planned to stay in or out for a couple of hours. It took so much effort that I wanted to make sure that I was really ready for whichever I was trying to do. I'd imagine stairs would be the same way for the first week or so - maybe two trips a day would be all that I'd want to mess with.

You'll do great and will be able to do FAR more than you can even imagine.
Unread 04-23-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaksrs View Post
...For the first few days at home, I wouldn't get in or out of bed unless I planned to stay in or out for a couple of hours. It took so much effort that I wanted to make sure that I was really ready for whichever I was trying to do...
Hot tip: look up the "log roll" method of getting out of bed on YouTube and *practice* before your surgery date. This saved my butt.
Unread 04-23-2019, 06:24 PM

Thank you for both kind posts! So helpful and encouraging! Grateful for your experience and hope. Will do! Also, if you can share anything about managing cancer fears/realities, I would be blessed. Sending springtime hope into your own continued healing.
Unread 04-23-2019, 06:26 PM

Dear Jaksrs,

This gives me great comfort. I love visualizing the "more than I could ever imagine" part. Focusing on the positive! Bless you for kindess, and blessings on your own continued healing!

Your friend,
Smileysong
Unread 04-23-2019, 06:30 PM

OH, Kel!

Thank you for your quick reply with such hopeful words! I send springtime hope and prayers for your own continued healing. The words of one who has been there bring such great peace. I am encouraged.

Your friend,
Smileysong
Unread 04-23-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileysong View Post
Thank you for both kind posts! So helpful and encouraging! Grateful for your experience and hope. Will do! Also, if you can share anything about managing cancer fears/realities, I would be blessed. Sending springtime hope into your own continued healing.
Is cancer a possibility in your situation? My hysterectomy was for grade 2/3 endometrial cancer. I had five weeks of light post-menopausal bleeding that started in mid-December 2012. My hysterectomy was at the end of May 2013. Despite the 5 1/2 month delay, it turned out that my cancer was caught at the earliest possible stage. :-)

For cancer-specific questions and support, I strongly recommend our Cancer Concerns forum.
Unread 04-23-2019, 06:38 PM

Dear Surprised in NB,

I am happy to hear your story had a positive ending and I hope mine will too. We have a good deal in common, including my appreciation for the link to the cancer concerns conversation. Again, hugs from Michigan. Your words came at just the right time for me.

Your friend,
Smileysong

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register