Brain fog. My dr says.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Brain fog.  My dr says.... Brain fog. My dr says....

Unread 11-13-2002, 09:55 AM
Brain fog. My dr says....

Good morning, ladies!

I just got back from my 6-week post-op appt. & thought I'd better sit right down & let you all know what my dr said before I forget!

She says the cause *can* be hormonal; however, they do not adjust hormone levels based on memory. She says keep an eye on things & if I have increased hot flashes, *that* will be the indicator to adjust levels.

She also said, as I notice these things, write them down & keep a journal because with memory issues they are always on the look-out for alzheimers.

I think we need to hear from ladies who are 1 year or more post to see if they had this problem & if it has gone away. I know that you can have these kinds of problems when you just don't have enough to occupy your mind. Perhaps we newly crowned princesses do not make a good *control group*, if you know what I mean!

That said, I need to walk my dog! Take care everyone.

Mongie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2002, 10:00 AM

Hey sweetie! Thanks for asking the doc. I can't wait to hear what the long time sisters have to say. You're probably right about us not being the best control group. I'll be watching this thread... if I can remember...
PS - Did you get Xena's pm about lunch?

, Missy
Unread 11-13-2002, 10:01 AM
scary study in the Sunday paper

saying women who had not experienced pregnancy had an increased risk for Alzheimer's. EEKS! Something about higher estrogen levels in pregnancy bathing the hypothamus with that hormone decreased the risk of dementia. No mention was made if the risk rises any higher for infertile women with surgical menopause, but one could infer it from the research presented in the article.

I am just hoping the fog is temporary. Driving me nuts to not remember names and dates with the same ease I usually have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2002, 11:01 AM

I'm not a year yet (only 9 months), but will I do? I've found that for me, it's at least partly/mostly hormonal. The was pretty thick when I was on just estrogen, and thicker the higher the dosage I was on. Since I've added testosterone it has cleared up considerably but I still have occasional lapses, like going to the store and forgetting what I needed to get (having left the list at home). Fortunately though it isn't happening very much any more.
Hope this helps!
s,
-Linda
Unread 11-13-2002, 11:29 AM

Linda,

Thanks for the info. It is definitely a help - and, yes, I think at *9 mos out* you qualify!

Take care,

Mongie
Unread 11-13-2002, 12:10 PM

I'm almost 2 years post-op, and the brain fog is *mostly* gone. Where I notice it most is in remembering things I did quickly, then moved on - like a one-time change to a friend's web site - he thanked me for it the other day, and for the life I me I couldn't remember having worked on it *at all* until about an hour later, and then I was able to remember everything clearly. If I'm working on something I can entirely forget about it if I get distracted, until I see it again ("Oh yeah, that!"). Or I'll talk to someone about a project, then completely put it out of my mind. With the right prompting I can remember everything - it's just like it's a little harder to get to it.

I've *never* been able to remember names, so that isn't anything new.

I had two surgeries in pretty short order, one Nov 2 2000 (a laparoscopy, tubal, hysteroscopy, & partial myomectomy under a general), and my TAH Dec 19 2000.

I suspect the first surgery was the bigger cause of brain fog. The surgery took much longer than expected, and they had to stop it because I had absorbed the max amount of the fluid (sorbitol) that's used to expand the uterus so they can look around in there. My hyst was only 50 minutes, done with a spinal, and was much easier on me (less pain, less achiness, more energy, felt better...).

I still have my ovaries, and as far as I know they are still working (cyclical acne, for instance, and estradiol tested OK recently).

I do not think the memory problems are hormone related - or not exclusively so, anyway. I think they are related somehow to physical stress and healing. The kinds of post-op brain fog problems I had were exactly like the kind of stupification I feel when I am on the verge of catching a cold, or having an allergy attack. I even noticed that the brain fog got worse for a few days (at 12 weeks post-op) after I'd been kicked in the legs by a horse (not *my* horse). I know I was dealing with some kind of physical stress (a low-grade infection?) for several months this summer 'cause I'd have night sweats. So who knows what's doing it.

Making lists and keeping a calendar is a necessity - but then it always has been for me.

Interesting about the higher estrogen *causing* brain fog... I've always been a little foggy. I have good skin, and had fibroids, so I've wondered if I tend to have elevated estrogen. Never thought about it causing brain fog... maybe that's why I can't remember names? It would be interesting to try adding some testosterone and seeing if that helps... Doubt I could convince a doctor to try it though.

Anyway, I hope that helps...
Unread 11-13-2002, 01:45 PM
Hey - A Great Article!

I just found this - it only came out about a week ago:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...rainfog05.html
Unread 11-13-2002, 01:55 PM

Veeerrrryyy interesting.....hmmm....

Thanks, Linda!

Mongie
Unread 11-13-2002, 02:08 PM

Wow, what a surprise, always thought it must be hormones, welcome all the men who've got it too!
They can't say it's "just" a womens issue if the tests turn out positive, so maybe they'll actually take note and do some prevention big time.
Thanks Linda
Vicky
Unread 11-13-2002, 07:31 PM

Very interesting article Linda......

At 15 months post, I still have brain fog.......... I don't do any hrt, and I have felt that *some* brain fog is just due to the aging process........ However, I know mine wasn't as bad as it is now before surgery.......... so I do think major surgeries have something with this memory loss/fog !! Am a big advocate of "post-it notes" !!! ( btw, I'm a huge horse lover !! have owned 2 in my eariler days ----- just sold my saddle a couple yrs. ago; hard decision, but I knew I wouldn't own a horse again......I so miss riding !!!! It's great exercise !! I envy you..... ) !

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register