Well the good news and the not so good- 5 wk check | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Well the good news and the not so good- 5 wk check Well the good news and the not so good- 5 wk check

Unread 11-14-2002, 06:19 PM
Well the good news and the not so good- 5 wk check

This recovery really has been great; however, there have been a few wrenches thrown in along the way. I was excited at two weeks when I was told I could return to the gym at very light activity--just to keep limber. Well, I waited an extra week until I saw my cardio doc (some abnormalities cropped up prior to surgery). He said to hold off. Okay, maybe just a few leisurely 2 mile walks through the neighborhood...no running! Well, the beginning of week 4 took me to the ER (yes, I got all the bells and whistles with the ambulance ride)with heart pounding/dizziness/very high BP--all this 5 minutes into Mass. Needless to say, I made it into the Mass intentions that day! Inconclusive, figured I was dehydrated and pumped a bag into me. I am the queen of fluids-average about 140 oz a day which at least 90 oz is from water. Kept trying to talk to the ER doc about the possibility of estrogen levels...forget it.
Okay, fast forward to Tues, the 5th. Small cut on the heal of my foot--major case of cellulitis. My GP put me back off my feet and on 875mg Augmentum; went back on Friday and he said another day or two off my feet. I was a good girl and followed orders. Sunday night dh and I go for a leisurely walk and after going up a small incline guess what...repeat of the heart episode. Fortunately, we were given a ride home by a newly moved in neighbor. I did not go to the ER--drank more water and waited for the symptons subside. They did after an hour. Okay, this Tuesday evening my incision site starts hurting-burning, stinging and feeling as if there's some major pulling going on. l Yesterday morning I notice it looks a little pink on either side of the incision; by last night it had a nice pink area spreading towards my left hip. Now, as I've said, I've been on heavy duty antibiotics... what the heck its this all about?
This morning I go in for my 5wk check.
The good news is I have healed up wonderfully inside. Painless internal exam--I really love my doc! The bad news is the cellulitis, which has cleared up on my foot, apparently jumped to my abdomen. I'm now on a two week run of Cipro. He's given me two-three days to see if the Cipro starts clearing it up...I'm thinking positive. Talked with him about my estrogen levels and he suggested I wait until I get the results from the stress echo I'm having tomorrow. Ah, life goes on...
This really has been an interesting post-op journey and certainly a lesson in patience with all these little interruptions. And yeah, I'm still smiling!
One last thing...for all you fellow insomniacs out there: have ya'll seen what's on tv at three in the morning? Reeeaaalllly baaaad infomercials and not much else; although VH1 has "Insomniac Night Music" Who are these groups...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-14-2002, 06:29 PM

Yikes! You've been through the ringer!

Here's are some nice folks to keep an eye on you

Please rest, rest, rest, and keep up with the antibiotiics. I've only dealt with cellulitis in horses, but it's nothin' to mess with.

Healing wishes are headed your way!
Unread 11-14-2002, 06:57 PM

Well my goodness! You have had a rough time of it. I'll be
for you .

If all else checks out, ask them to check your thyroid or adrenals. If either are in hyper mode your blood pressure and heart rate could go up...even on little exhursion.

Let us know how things go. And here's a for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2002, 10:42 AM

Thanks Virginia. Having just gotten home from a three day stay at the castle, the cardiac doc is putting me on a home monitor for the next two weeks. Stress test combined with the near fainting spells and racing heart sent me directly (do not pass go) to the castle Friday. He ruled out the more serious "drop dead on the spot" kind of things but there is still other things he's exploring. Hence, the home monitor. He is determined to figure out what's going on and I feel at the end of the run of cardio stuff if things still aren't conclusive, he will look at all the other stuff. I do have a growth on my right adrenal gland that, while benign, the endocrinologist has blood work done as well as an MRI annually. So that possibility kind of filed itself away in the back of my brain, but I hadn't thought about the thyroid. I really kept thinking surely this has to do with my estrogen levels. Unfortunately, this was picked up before my hyst. So that theory's a little shakey...we'll see.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register