Scheduled TAH Upcoming 7/1 abdominal hysterectomy after 2 Abdominal Myomectomy Surgeries for Large Fibroids | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming 7/1 abdominal hysterectomy after 2 Abdominal Myomectomy Surgeries for Large Fibroids Upcoming 7/1 abdominal hysterectomy after 2 Abdominal Myomectomy Surgeries for Large Fibroids

Unread 06-27-2019, 04:04 PM
Upcoming 7/1 abdominal hysterectomy after 2 Abdominal Myomectomy Surgeries for Large Fibroids

Hi ladies! I’m 36 and having my Total Abdominal Hysterectomy on Monday 7/1. I’ve been living with awful periods since I was 9 years old. Only found out about my fibroids when I was 28 and by that time I was suffering so badly that surgery was my only option for relief. I don’t remember why they opted for an Abdominal myomectomy at that time, but I think it’s due to the fact that I had so many fibroids. This was in 2012. Sadly by mid 2014 I was under the knife again for a second myomectomy. The largest Fibroid was the size of a small watermelon.

I really thought through a complete lifestyle change that I wouldn’t grow them anymore. Hubby and I tried for over 4 years to have a baby and by 2016 I had already developed 4 more fibroids. As the years went on my symptoms got worse. It took a long time for me to realize that a hysterectomy would be my personal best bet for relief. I’ve hardly been living life this last year between the pain, bleeding and due to such awful hormone imbalances.

I’m excited for the healing that is to come, but I just had my pre op today and it shook me. I’ve never had to do a prep before my other surgeries and I have to prep the entire day before surgery. Worried I’ll feel so sick and weak. Plus I was told I’ll only be in the hospital for a night! I’ve always stayed 2 nights with my myomectomy surgeries and I would think this is a harder surgery so I’m really blown away. I’m hoping that maybe they’ll give me an extra night. Obviously if I feel ok enough I’d rather be home, but still...that seems fast.

I was also shocked to hear that I’m not supposed to have sex for 3-4 months post op! Is that normal??? It was always 6-8 weeks with the myomectomy. I don’t see why I’d have to wait so much longer. Maybe it’s because I have to loose my cervix? I was hoping to keep it but due to recurring HPV and the fact that the largest Fibroid has taken over the cervical cavity...it’s the only option.

I’m feeling a bit scattered but I know it the long run that this will help me to live my life to the fullest!

Any words of encouragement, any been through a similar surgery? I’d love to hear from you! Thanks sisters and be well <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-27-2019, 07:19 PM
Re: 7/1 TAH after 2 Abdominal Myomectomy Surgeries for Large Fibroids

Hi!

I just wanted to offer you some encouragement. I had mine last year due to unstoppable bleeding from fibroids. Bled 3 months, right up to surgery day. Sorry you have had to make this choice, but believe me, I would do it again. The quality of life to be had from a permanent solution cannot be paid for.

My sister had the myomectomy, and it took nearly 2 months, so I know why you were shocked. If you are having the least invasive surgery, recovery is normally WAY less than that.

I didn't need pain killers after about 5 days. I could sleep fairly okay after about 2 weeks, and drove in that time as well. It was still uncomfy, due to ligaments healing and the scars on my abdomen, but when I had 3 c-sections, I could barely stand up straight at 2 weeks.

Each individual heals at a different rate, but most people that I personally know were back to normal activities within a few weeks.

You are almost there! I pray that you have a speedy procedure, uneventful recovery, and experience a better quality of life in the coming months and years!
Unread 06-28-2019, 11:26 AM
Re: Upcoming 7/1 abdominal hysterectomy after 2 Abdominal Myomectomy Surgeries for Large Fibroids

I am coming up on the six month mark since my abdominal surgery for a very large fibroid (although maybe not watermelon size - you might have me beat there!)

I will tell you what I'd go back and tell myself if I could: It will be fine. The first week of recovery will be difficult but not at all unbearable or unmanageable. By week two you'll be driving yourself around and able to do very small household chores. You will get tired quickly and so give yourself time for naps. Otherwise - the seven weeks you take off work will really be a wonderful time of relaxation and recovery.

I'd run back in time and tell myself that! I'd not worry so much and would look forward to my time of recovery. It was a wonderful gift of being able to drop out of life for seven weeks - nowhere to be and nobody expecting anything of me. Once I got past those first two weeks and was able to sleep comfortably it felt like a vacation. (Not that I wasn't still recovering, I was. But it was just wonderful to drop out of life for a few weeks)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2019, 07:42 AM
Re: Upcoming 7/1 abdominal hysterectomy after 2 Abdominal Myomectomy Surgeries for Large Fibroids

Hello!
I'm scheduled for 7/1 too for abdominal. I was freaking out with the 1 night as well but I've also heard they won't let me go until I pass certain tests so it's not set in stone that you'll go home after one night. As long as I can walk, pee, etc, I think I'd rather be at home as soon as I can. I don't have to do anything the day prior but I was told no sex for 10 weeks so we seem to have similar plans. I've been so stressed out about it for weeks, but I've read a lot on here that's eased my mind. I'm also looking forward to being off from work for six weeks and gave out a little whoop when I left work yesterday. I'm kind of excited to see how I feel once they're out too since what I think is normal probably isn't.
Unread 06-29-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseHyst View Post
Hello!
I'm scheduled for 7/1 too for abdominal. I was freaking out with the 1 night as well but I've also heard they won't let me go until I pass certain tests so it's not set in stone that you'll go home after one night. As long as I can walk, pee, etc, I think I'd rather be at home as soon as I can. I don't have to do anything the day prior but I was told no sex for 10 weeks so we seem to have similar plans. I've been so stressed out about it for weeks, but I've read a lot on here that's eased my mind. I'm also looking forward to being off from work for six weeks and gave out a little whoop when I left work yesterday. I'm kind of excited to see how I feel once they're out too since what I think is normal probably isn't.
Seems fast....mine was on a Thursday and it was said probably would be going home Sunday....3 nights in.....I went home on Monday morning....so was 4 nights. I was happy with that because it’s okay being released during the week but not on weekend when nobody is around.....
Unread 07-03-2019, 07:54 AM
Upcoming 7/1 abdominal hysterectomy after 2 Abdominal Myomectomy Surgeries for Large Fibroids

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseHyst View Post
Hello!
Hey!!! How are you feeling? I'm finally going home today. My surgery was delayed from Monday AM to Monday afternoon and I didn't get out of bed until yesterday evening. I'll be going home today between 11am and 12pm. I hope you're feeling good and going home too!!
Unread 07-03-2019, 10:08 AM

Doing OK! I had the surgery about 48 hours ago but came home last night. I was walking around and peeing ok yesterday.

I'm in mild pain today, I'd say a 3 or 4 with painkillers on board. It's mainly a feeling of bloating and lower back pain and My stomach feels swollen. I was supposed to get binder before I left but forgot so ordered one from Amazon, same day delivery. The only thing is I tried to wear pants yesterday and it really hurt incision so I'm wearing a loose shirt and robe today but worried about how binder will feel. How are you feeling?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register