Pain and bleeding /spotting 6 weeks; UPDATED now 7 weeks after hysterectomy (LAVH) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain and bleeding /spotting 6 weeks; UPDATED now 7 weeks after hysterectomy (LAVH) Pain and bleeding /spotting 6 weeks; UPDATED now 7 weeks after hysterectomy (LAVH)

Unread 06-30-2019, 09:02 AM
Pain and bleeding /spotting 6 weeks; UPDATED now 7 weeks after hysterectomy (LAVH)

Hello Hypersisters!

I'm Manu. So happy to have found this forum!

I was suffering from crazy bleeding and pain and was diagnosed with multiple fibroids and adenomyosis. Finally decided on having a hysterectomy.
Went through total LAVH on 15th of May. The first few weeks were smooth except for post operative cough and constipation which got better in a couple of days. I no longer felt the urge to pee every 20 minutes, bowls were better and my spirits were high!
I did however have frequent spotting every time I exererted.
I began driving at week 5. At 6 weeks i probably pushed myself beyond limits. Ended up with a swelled and sensitive belly by night which should have alarmed me. But I over worked again the next day, had a sleepless night with a period like pain and woke up with a sudden gush of red blood and a clot. Rushed to the ER. They ran scans and said the stitches were intact and couldn't find any real cause of bleeding which had come down to mild spotting in a few hours.
6 & 1/2 weeks past now... I have been taking it easy... Resting and trying not to go crazy. But each time i stand for longer than half an hour i start feeling pressure (also in the vagina) and pain in the lower abdomen and mild spotting.
Stressed out badly with fearful thoughts of damage to the vaginal cuff and other complications.
Need to know if anyone else has gone through this at this stage... Need assurance that it'll be okay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2019, 09:21 AM
Re: Pain and bleeding/spotting 6 weeks after LAVH

My doctor told me the 2-3 week mark was the highest incidence of bleeding as the dissolvable suters are starting to dissolve. I would have to think that is a continuum as more and more dissolvable stitches dissolve. I would take it easier than you are, lol. It's hard when you feel well.
Unread 06-30-2019, 10:21 AM
Pain and bleeding /spotting 6 weeks; UPDATED now 7 weeks after hysterectomy (LAVH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
My doctor told me the 2-3 week mark was the highest incidence of bleeding as the dissolvable suters are starting to dissolve. I would have to think that is a continuum as more and more dissolvable stitches dissolve. I would take it easier than you are, lol. It's hard when you feel well.
Trying best to. Just got my culture report tested positive for yeast infection. That is probably the culprit.
Thanks Cindy for your reply!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2019, 05:58 PM
Re: Pain and bleeding/spotting 6 weeks after LAVH

I’m sorry you have had issues lately. I came on today looking to see if anyone else has had a set back around 6 weeks. About 4 days ago, I went for the longest walk I’ve done yet, but not really that far. I doubt it was more than a mile. I also have been doing small household tasks, mainly laundry without any lifting of anything heavy, cleaning counters, washing dishes, maybe a little gentle sweeping and some computer work. Since then, I’ve felt exhausted and almost feverish(but no temp) .I’m tender just under my belly button. I also have had a headache that just hangs on. This is the first time I’ve felt depressed. I have my 6 week check on Tuesday. I have taken it easier the last 2 days, but still have done some things around the house. I feel guilty lying on the couch for more than an hour or so. I had a complete hysterectomy laparoscopically and vaginalky. I had thought that at week 6 I would just be feeling more normal, but I think I felt better 2 weeks ago. Is it common for people to set themselves back around this time because we get cocky? Just for context, I am 65 and retired, so I don’t have to worry about going back to work, but I do care for my 2 year old grandson often and do some daycare for him during the school year. I’m aching to pick him up, but at 30 pounds, I guess it will be a while?
Unread 06-30-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGHSPL View Post
I’m sorry you have had issues lately. I came on today looking to see if anyone else has had a set back around 6 weeks. About 4 days ago, I went for the longest walk I’ve done yet, but not really that far. I doubt it was more than a mile. I also have been doing small household tasks, mainly laundry without any lifting of anything heavy, cleaning counters, washing dishes, maybe a little gentle sweeping and some computer work. Since then, I’ve felt exhausted and almost feverish(but no temp) .I’m tender just under my belly button. I also have had a headache that just hangs on. This is the first time I’ve felt depressed. I have my 6 week check on Tuesday. I have taken it easier the last 2 days, but still have done some things around the house. I feel guilty lying on the couch for more than an hour or so. I had a complete hysterectomy laparoscopically and vaginalky. I had thought that at week 6 I would just be feeling more normal, but I think I felt better 2 weeks ago. Is it common for people to set themselves back around this time because we get cocky? Just for context, I am 65 and retired, so I don’t have to worry about going back to work, but I do care for my 2 year old grandson often and do some daycare for him during the school year. I’m aching to pick him up, but at 30 pounds, I guess it will be a while?
I can so relate to your state of mind! But without any spotting/bleeding (count that as a major blessing! ) yours could just be a case of doing too much too soon.
Limitations are so frustrating at this point post hysterectomy when you are supposed to be able to resume your old routines. And feeling depressed is so normal.
My doc has started me on treatment for yeast infection which probably was the cause of my bleeding. I feel relieved with the diagnosis and hopeful that things will settle down now.
This is a major surgery and the body need time to recover from all the trauma (a reminder that I give to myself every time i start freaking out).
Rest your precious self after every few minutes of working, read or do whatever relaxes you and just hang on to that belief that we'll be fine!

So happy to have found this forum to vent and share!
Unread 07-01-2019, 06:50 PM
Re: Pain and bleeding /spotting 6 weeks after hysterectomy (LAVH)

and

Yes, it sounds like you overdid it. Although you are 6 weeks post-op you are still healing inside, and it seems like your vaginal cuff is still healing too. Even after our release dates, healing will continue, and I found that whenever I did more than my body was ready to handle, I would experience swelling and dull aches. It was my body's way of saying "Not yet, Sister!" Likely what's happening is that we trigger inflammation when we do more, and so we'll experience some swelling, which leads to pressure, aches, swelling, and even spotting. The way to manage it is to build in rest breaks throughout the day (30-45 minutes), and notice when you start to notice signs like vaginal pressure or lower abdominal pains or spotting. That's your sign to pull back.

This recovery is a slower journey than most of us thought it would be.

Unread 07-03-2019, 06:33 PM

7 weeks post op now and i still have light pink spotting /tissue smear, vaginal pressure and abdominal pain whenever i exert. Which could be as little as an hours standing at a stretch or doing house chores. Was also tested positive for yeast infection and am on candid v6... (2 more tablets to go) .
Expected symptoms to gradually disappear. Feel really depressed and really stressed out
Unread 07-03-2019, 09:16 PM
Still spotting pink at 7 weeks post hysterectomy!

Have been cautious since. It's past 7 weeks now but I still spot pink when i stand or do some chores for a couple of hours. Also feel vaginal pressure and dull pain in the abdomen!
Feeling so demoralized and depressed! Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Unread 07-04-2019, 05:34 AM
Re: Pain and bleeding /spotting 6 weeks; UPDATED now 7 weeks after hysterectomy (LAVH)

I've combined your threads since it's an update and additional questions about the same concern.

I've already mentioned that the pressure and spotting can continue beyond your release date, especially if you do more than your body is ready to handle. You overdid it at 6 weeks just a few days ago, and by standing and doing chores "for a couple of hours" which resulted in spotting and pressure, it sounds like you've overdone it again. We frequently say listen to your body, and that means notice what activities give you pressure, pain or spotting - and refrain from doing those for a while longer. Check this article answering a question from a member who was 3 months post-op, Vaginal Bleeding/Spotting 3 Months After Hysterectomy. Give your body a chance to recover from both these episodes, and get back to activities gradually. Hours at a time is not gradually : break your chores and activities into 30-45 minute chunks and take rest periods.

You know your stitches are intact, and at the time of your exam, the doctor didn't find any granulation, but you are finishing up with treatment for a yeast infection which could be interfering with healing. If, after you've rested a few days and you find you're still spotting, then give your doctor a call.

Unread 07-04-2019, 06:07 AM
Re: Pain and bleeding /spotting 6 weeks; UPDATED now 7 weeks after hysterectomy (LAVH)

Guess you are right! Have got friends around who've gone through hysterectomy (and resumed office at week 4) and despite knowing well that each person heals at different. pace perhaps i get impatient to get to normal life. The infection can be contributing to the slow healing too
Thanks much for the 'pat on the back'! Appreciate your reply!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register