Strange Anatomy Question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Strange Anatomy Question Strange Anatomy Question

Unread 11-16-2002, 06:26 AM
Strange Anatomy Question

Okay, I'll ask my doctor this. But does someone know - when they take my uterus out - what is my vagina attached to after that? Also, it looks like I am keeping my ovaries - but what will they be attached to? I mean, it looks like the whole "unit" is attached to each other. I don't want the other parts wandering around and getting into trouble - tee-hee.

This has lead to some wild speculation between my friends - and a lot of bad jokes - some of which have offered me much comic relief. (I mean, if I try to sing that knee bone is connected to the thigh bone song - which I know skips the reproductive organs - just what would come after the line: "The ovaries are connected to the...")

So I'm not scared about this one. I'm just, uh, curious?

And I've got to tell you. I've asked you guys questions and cried while I typed them out. But I'm sitting here grinning like a fool. Also, there would be absolutely nothing funny about falopian tubes kind of "fluttering in the breeze", so to speak, so why am I sitting here giggling...

Sign me,
Cathy B.
Worried About "Free-Floating" Parts

P.S. Is there an award for silliest question? Do I win?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2002, 07:17 AM
Hi Cathy,

Actually, no, that's not the silliest question we've heard.

There are special ligaments which support the uterus. Once the uterus is removed, these ligaments are brought across and sewn to the top of the vaginal vault to support it. The ovaries are attached to the same ligaments on each side. So no, everything isn't just "free floating" around in there.

Best wishes with your upcoming surgery.

s,

Lisa
Unread 11-16-2002, 07:22 AM
Strange Anatomy Question

Hi Cathy

I am 8 months post from Total abdominal Hysterectomy - kept ovaries. I too always wondered the same, how do those bits keep in place which are left behind. Well ovaries are kept in place by ligaments, so no need to worry about that they should not be floating anywhere lol. After uterus and cervix is removed the top of your vagina inside is sewn together to form what is known as a vaginal cuff. Imagine a toilet roll holder whith the top turned down and sealed off, this is what vagina will be like.

I wish you all the luck in your forthcoming surgery. Be sure to pop into the chat room sometime lots of wonderful ladies in there who can help you and answer any concerns which you may have.

Hugs

Jane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2002, 07:24 AM
Strange Anatomy Question

Cathy,

I believe I phrased my inquiry on this same issue as, "Is my vagina just *blowing in the wind*, so to speak?"

I must admit that it does present some interesting pictures in the mind! lol. One of the ladies said her dr told her to think of her vagina as a "tube sock" - also an interesting picture. lol.

Good to see you are keeping your sense of humor! That helps a lot!

Mongie
Unread 11-16-2002, 07:51 AM
Strange Anatomy Question

When the Dr sews up the top of your vagina does it become shorter?

I am not a big person. 5" 132 lbs. Sex will hurt if it gets shorter.
Unread 11-16-2002, 07:57 AM
Strange Anatomy Question

I believe sometimes they can make it shorter but by only a fraction. But remeber cervix will not be there so you have that extra room anyway. Sex to me is better and does not hurt in anyway. Dh said he does notice cervix has gone though lol.

Take care and good luck.

Jane
Unread 11-16-2002, 08:09 PM
You are so funny!!

I go under the knife on Dec. 16th and have wondered the same thing... I'm also hoping my uterus weighs about 40 lbs! I imagine being flat (or concaved) stomached and much lighter when I come "floating" out of the hospital!
One can dream....
Unread 11-17-2002, 05:54 AM
you crack me up

Well I had posted the same question about the ovaries. I felt so bad for asking. But after reading yours it was great. I was just the laugh I needed. when I finally get my castle date hopefully next month. I will go into the catle singing and my ovaries are connected to my ....... song as I go under. I sat here trying to hold on to my Lap incision and not busting a gut. My hubby insists that we are all a bit off. But if it helps ease the stress then go for it. This site has also helped him get up the nevre to ask the doc more questions and learn more of whats about to happen. So thanks sisters. I love the humor. I even caught him looking a crowns in the dollar shop. when we were out shopping for PJ's for the hospital.

Denise.Bradley

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register