Why does coughing and sneezing double me over??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Why does coughing and sneezing double me over??? Why does coughing and sneezing double me over???

Unread 11-17-2002, 07:04 PM
Why does coughing and sneezing double me over???

I have posted a few times about my ovarian/bladder pain coming back since my surgery, but what I want to know is why at "that time of the month", does coughing, sneezing, standing up quickly, stretching out in bed, etc.... bring on the sharpest pains on my sides where my ovaries are that literally stop me in my tracks and double me over??? This was one of my problems before my surgery and it was gone for a couple of months after my surgery, but now it's back. It was not scar tissue before my surgery(I only had scar tissue that involved my bladder and uterus and my ovaries looked "fine", which is why I kept them. I have never asked my doctor what could be causing these awful sharp pains, but I will ask him about it when I see him in 2 weeks. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if you have any ideas what it could be. It only happens about 2 weeks out of each month and now that I don't have a period anymore, I can still tell it's at "that time" because it is happening when I have other pms symptoms. What could it be????

Another question....I also get the sharp pains that seem to be more constant during the 2 weeks out of each month and when that comes on, I am very tender in the area where my ovaries are....what could that be? I'm so confused....why would I have pain in my ovaries if they look "fine"???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2002, 09:39 PM

Sure wish I could help. I'm having sharp pain too. I don't have my ovaries though. My DR is still investigating the pain. I'll post if I get any answers. I sure feel for you. I am so ready to rid of the pain.
Unread 11-18-2002, 05:55 AM

hi there

I just wanted to tell you that I've the same thing during different times in my cycle. I have only one ovary left after my 5 surgeries.

I've been to my gyn for these sharp pains you describe on the ovary and he has told me they are ovulatory cysts that are normal. He found this on vaginal ultrasound. He told me they cause me pain because after having endo and surgeries etc. (adhesions) that sometimes my ovary produces larger cysts than normal and therefore, that's why so much pain. He has told me they should go away within 2 menstrual cycles.

Last week, I had excruciating pain and it was constant on this ovary. I went to the doc and he did another ultrasound. Turns out, I had an 18.8 cm cyst inside my ovary that was bleeding. The normal ovary size is 4cm. So, I was in pain and rightly so. He told me that this was a normal cyst gone awry and that he would give me dilaudid for the pain and I would come back in 2 weeks.

6 days later and I'm feeling better.

hope that helped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2002, 04:50 PM

I'm also finding that, at various stages of my cycle, I tend to have pain that wasn't there before my hyst. I had my hyst because of heavy, almost constant bleeding.

I did go to my doc about this, the first time when I was about 5 months post-op, when I was told that my ovaries were fine, that my pain came from colon spams and that it would improve as my ovaries recovered from the shock of surgery and got used the absence of the uterus.

He was right, and it is now a lot better. Took about 6 months from the time my ovaries woke up (I was 3 months post-op then) to the time that I noticed a marked improvement.

I still, sometimes, get a rather intense cycle, and the colon spasms are still there. Those are due to the IBS I've been diagnosed with some time ago.

IMO, even if the cystic ovaries are considered "normal", if this intensity of pain persists, I would consider a second opinion. I don't believe that anyone should have to suffer in this manner.

Sending lots of healing s your way.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register