Pre-op today and starting to get scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op today and starting to get scared Pre-op today and starting to get scared

Unread 11-18-2002, 04:37 PM
Pre-op today and starting to get scared

Had my Pre-op with Dr. today. Nothing seems to be going as planned. Was unable to bank my own blood due to small veins and Dr. is telling me a good chance I will need a transfussion.

He says it will be a challenging surgery and he may have to do some creative work. Now what does that mean? I think it means if the fibroids are too big he will have to cut them out in pieces. And after hearing that - I didn't really pay attention to much of anyting else he was saying.

I wanted a partial hyst and he is telling me it might have to be a total. I asked about hormone replacement and he said wait and see how you feel. I wanted to discuss hormone replacement today - not after the fact.

I thought about keeping my ovaries and he recommended that I not. Said in a couple of years they wouldn't be producing anything anyway. Asked what I could do about my libido. It's ok right now - but what about after the surgery. Don't worry - we can give you something for that, he said.

Somehow today, I just felt like a number. He had made his sale - sold me the operation - and now he was on to other things. That is probably just my state of mind right now. I am one of these people that needs to know details of what to expect or prepare for.

He didn't even tell what to do to prep for the operation. Did find out from the nurse that no bowel prep is necessary and all I need to do is stop eating and drinking midnight before operation. Somehow I just don't feel reassured.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2002, 04:50 PM

I felt pretty much the same as you did. I did not really have a pre-op. I had to call and ask questions. I really loved my DR but I think sometimes they do so many of these they don't even realize how we are all individuals. My DR did my surgery and then followed her husband to Atlanta when he was transferred so my 6 week visit was with her partner. Luckily I liked the new DR.

I'm a little younger and wanted to keep my ovaries. The DR said as long as they look good I'll leave them. So they were and I got to keep them.

I haven't had to really research hormone replacement but their is a good board on this site to do that.

Don't worry about the blood part. Most don't even need a blood transfusion. Plus my DR told me you have to wait 30 days for your blood to recoup before you have surgery. You certainly wouldn't want to put it off :LOL:

The waiting is truly the hardest part. I am so happy I did this. The first few weeks were rough but my DH was and still is absolutely wonderful about taking care of me. Funny thing he wasn't too good at it before. I've had several surgeries mostly orthopaedic types and he was never good for those. I have to say I feel better than I have in probably 10 years or more.

I will be thinking of you and for you.
Unread 11-18-2002, 06:53 PM

s, Sandy!

That doesn't sound like a very good appointment to me, but perhaps your doctor really thought he was giving you all the information you needed. I can understand your feeling frustrated and not reassured. Would you want to list down your questions and bring them in to your doctor? If I hadn't made a list using the pre-op questions (and more) from the home page of this site (under the pre-op section), I wouldn't have been able to remember them all. I might have gotten sidetracked, too. There's so much to think about. My dh and I felt a lot more relieved after my pre-op appointment because we felt our questions had been answered. You don't feel that way. I would like to think your doctor would be willing to have another appointment with you to answer your questions, even if he really doesn't have all the answers right now. I really think it would be helpful to you to have a list.

Hope all goes well for you.

~Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2002, 07:19 PM

Floridagal, I just wrote a post on "The Control Factor" and I covered EXACTLY what you experienced today. Don't despair, my dear. You are NOT alone. So many of us feel we've been treated like just another number.

I truly felt that I was put into the position of having no way to understand what he was saying and, he made me feel like it didn't matter, since he was the "expert". I was just being prodded to go along with everything he said. I know you feel helpless right now.

My surgery had the doctor doing more than he thought initially, too. He also didn't talk to me about HRT until my 6 week post check-up. I think that's relatively normal.

Please go back a page and read my post "The Control Factor" and see that you are not alone. I try to give tips on what you CAN control and how you can get through these next couple of weeks.

*HUGE HUGGERS*
Unread 11-19-2002, 05:07 AM

Hi

NorthernWolf's "Control Factor" is definitely recommended reading! Here is a link to the thread: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=80971

If you're uncomfortable with your DR you might want to consider a second opinion. If you have more questions you have a right to call and get them answered.

It's a good idea to research HRT, but it can be really confusing. Your DR should be your main resource. Usually they have a favorite, and since it is, they must have had good results with it in the past.

Do you have a pre op scheduled with the hospital? That is where I received my prep instructions, along with signing what seemed like dozens of consent and admission forms. I also had lab work done. Every hospital and DR is different and has their own way of doing things, some make you feel more comfortable than others.

Best wishes!
Unread 11-19-2002, 10:42 AM

I am so sorry your doc made you feel like a "number" That is not fun or comforting.

I decided at almost the last miniute to take my ovaries(am 44yr) and as it turned out, they were not in as good shape as we thought, and had to go anyway. But this way I had researched HRT issues and options before hand, and was prepared. I do not think this should "wait until later" as doc says. (and if you do remove them, I REALLY would not recommend waiting for 6 weeks while you are in recovery and then having to deal with menopause symptoms too..but that is only MY opinion) By that time you are needing to focus on surg and recovery, which is plenty!

Yes your doc should be your guide, but only if he is VERY knowledgeable in the hormone area. Many assume ALL (or esp ob-gyns) are extremely well educated on hormones, but they often really are not, esp obs. The ones who only do gyn work often are, but there are also other docs who specialize in this type of thing(hormones, etc), and you may want to consult one if you do not feel your doc is VERY well informed and/or compassionate and willing to work with you as an individual.

Afterr finding a lot of info on this site on HRTs which was SO helpful, I had a list of knowlegeable questions to ask my doc. She is gyn only and very good in this area. I had decided I thought the bio-identical HRTs were a good choice for me, and she was fine with that, and told me to go to the compounding pharmacy(only place those can be filled at), and talk to the compounding pharmacist. I did that before surg, and that was the best thing I ever did. He was FANTASTIC...took so much time talking with me, made out a personal medical history on me, and answered all my questions and really educated me.

I said when should I start the HRT, as I did NOT want to have to deal with the symptoms of surgical menopause during recovery, and he COMPLETELY agreed that I should start right away, and so did my doc. She sent over the prescription, and he filled it and I started on 2nd day in castle.

I am almost 4 weeks post op, and am doing very well and feel great so far hormonally.

Good Luck on your Journey...I know it is not easy, but I am very happy and have no regrerts!

Unread 11-19-2002, 04:04 PM

Thanks Sisters for your words of wisdom and suggestions. It is wonderful to be able to post your feelings and have others who understand exactly where you are coming from. Your suggestions are all great - and I know I will get through this -thanks to all the help from my Sisters.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register