What's a normal recovery time? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What's a normal recovery time? What's a normal recovery time?

Unread 11-18-2002, 08:03 PM
What's a normal recovery time?

I am working on my seventh month of recovery. I get incredilbly tired during the day and have to come home at lunch and take a nap just to get through the rest of the day. (Pretty sad for a 28 year old.)

I still have a few "clamping" pains. My doctor examined me the other week for a suspected incisional hernia. No hernia and apparently everything is healing "normally." My doctor says that I should be patient that I could very well feel like this for another six months. Does that seem right?

I found a few books on women sharing their hyster. stories but can't seem to find anything on what to expect the first year after a hyster. in terms of physical changes and stages of recovery. Does anyone know of anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2002, 09:24 PM

Hello, I am glad you posted this, I am anxious to read the replies. I am 4months, and feel much like you. I tire easily and my swellybelly is horrible. I still cry alot. I too am surprised that this is taking so long. It is very depressing. This surgery was so much more than I expected. I hope you are feeling better soon, it certainly has been long enough, you deserve it!!
Unread 11-18-2002, 10:05 PM

I sympathize with you, too! The surgery and recovery were much more than I ever expected. Previously, my energy was unlimited, but since my surgery 5+ months ago, I just haven't had the "oomph" I had before - and I'm always tired. Just can't stand not regaining my stamina!!! Initially people said the tiredness was due to the anesthesia, but surely that can't be the culprit now. Does anyone understand why this happens? Kajsa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2002, 10:08 PM
Hi Ladies,

According to those "in the know," it normally takes anywhere from 6 months to a full year before you'll feel totally back to normal.

I'm almost 6 months post-op (the 23rd) and I still get very tired very easily. A trip through our Walmart Supercenter with a cart loaded with groceries wears me totally out, and running up and down the stairs too often here at home do the same. I still take a nap every afternoon, and feel totally drained at times when I least exect it.

Be patient, dear sisters. It just takes time for our bodies to get over the shock of surgery and healing. We'll be back to our old selves before you know it.

(You might want to invest in a good multi-vitamin, and make sure you're eating right, getting exercise, and drinking plenty of water. Doesn't hurt to give the recovery process all the help it can get!)

s,

Lisa
Unread 11-18-2002, 10:13 PM

My cousin just emailed me on this subject and according to her, it took a full year for her to feel back to her old self. I nearly cried...I am only 2 weeks post-op and already frustrated.
I know it will be better someday, but I thought waiting for surgery was the hardest part. Instead, it is the recovery I am waiting for.
I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers!
Unread 11-19-2002, 03:48 AM
Recovery time........

Ladies I had a similar surgery when I was in my early twenties. It took me 6 months to fully recover. At that time I had to sign for a total hysterectomy, which, thank God was not necessary at that time. Now 26 years later I am exspecting it to take a full year to get back to normal. Anything inside of that will be a blessing. We are all worth the wait. And the up side is that we will recover! Fully, completely and perfectly.
Unread 11-19-2002, 08:13 PM
Thanks

That helps to know that it can take up to a year. I was beginning to feel a bit freakish. Thanks again for the support.
Unread 12-02-2002, 05:48 PM

I thought something was wrong with me! It's good to know that I'm not alone.
Unread 12-02-2002, 08:38 PM

I had my surgery (TVH/BSO) on August 5, 2002. I was so tired and had no pep whatsoever! I did not start feeling like myself again until I started hormone therapy. I use the Vivelledot .05 I am wondering if you could have hormonal issues. You might want to read some of the posts on the hormone jungle. Just a thought! Hope you feel better soon.
Unread 12-02-2002, 09:25 PM

I'm at 6 months recovery (with no apparent hormone issues). I have been extremely frustrated and disappointed with my recovery so far. Yeah, right ... I read that it might take 6 months to a year to "recover" but figured they meant all those other folks, not me. I'm strong! I've had major surgery before and recovered quickly!

But, you will be glad to know, at 6 months, I'm finally showing some real improvement. I'm only a little more tired late in the afternoon than before surgery. I can bend clear over and not be uncomfortable. Coughing and sneezing I still grab my tummy and hold on tight, but the swelly belly is much better. (Not gone, but much better.)

I do think, perhaps, someone should make a pilgrimage over to the pre-op message boards and let them know, without scaring them, just how long the recovery is going to take. I know I didn't realize it until I was a princess.

:

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register