knee joint pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

knee joint pain knee joint pain

Unread 11-18-2002, 07:57 PM
knee joint pain

I am having alot of pain in my knee joints. Both of them! I am currently on Vivelle patch .05 and a thyroid pill. I was just wondering if anyone may know if there could be side effects (such as knee pains) from these medicines. or any other suggestions. I first noticed them about 4 or 5 months after surgery, but they would leave and come back. My surgery was 11/05/02. This is the third time. The pain is worse when I first get up or as I am just sitting down. Any help from you sisters would be appreciated.

A great big

Cissy

P.S. This is the greatest place I know of! I was here everyday before my surgery but was so shy. But as I was silent, you ladies will never know how much you were appreciated !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2002, 05:02 AM
knee joint pain

Hi Cissy! If no one has already beat me to it, let me welcome you to Hystersisters! You're right, all of the ladies are so wonderful here, always willing to go the extra mile! There have been many times I would have been so lost without this great place!

I don't have a lot to offer, but a few things pop to mind..

1) Was your hyst Nov 5 2001, or 2002 as in your post?

2) Depending on your answer, I was thinking that maybe you are having residual stiffness from surgery (if it's 2002!) and maybe just pain and stiffness from inactivity.

3) Are you a former athlete, dancer or gymnast maybe? I wonder b/c I was a gymnast for about 14 years, and only recently have began to have probs with knees. My mom says I'm getting old, I JUST turned 30! Anyway, could be a coincidence that this is happening now.

4) I don't know about side effects from your meds...At least this bumped you, and someone more knowledgable will be along soon!

Good luck to you, and let us know how you are doing!

Stacey
Unread 11-19-2002, 07:06 AM
knee joint pain

Hi Cissy--After my surgery on 8/5, with multiple complications in hospital, I was taken off my Premarin. Three weeks later, I told my MD it was time to go back on. I was having hot flashes for the first time ever, actually, but that was not it. It was joint pain. I had totally forgotten the degree to which I had had joint pain pror to going on HRT years ago, and while I am not on any progestin at this point (had a TVH), it took about three days after starting back on estrogen supplements for my joint pain to disappear. I am 58. Without estrogen, my joints are very painful and I cannot do the things I normally do (like go to the gym!). With estrogen, I'm a healthy 58 and very active physically. By the way, although I don't believe this is true in the US, I am told that joint pain is the leading target system in Japan for the prescribing of HRT. I know this is a loaded topic right now and I may be way off base in your case. I'm sure others will come along and share there experiences with you. Good luck to you. New Yorker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2002, 06:29 PM
knee pain

Stacey and New Yorker,

Stacey thank you for your reply and the bump. I did have my surgery 11/05/01, not 02. sorry about that.
But I do remember the stiffness after surgery, you're right it was ugh !! And happy big 30 and you're not getting old!!
thanks again

New Yorker,
thank you for yours also. I do need to see the Dr. and maybe ask for a higher dosage of the Vivelle. I may need more estrogen, like you.
I recently purchased some progesterone cream and cut my patch into and have used the cream for a few days and today I had a very bad flash!!! My face was burning and flushed really bad. I'm wondering if the cream caused it or maybe the cut of the patch. I was trying it for the pain. Oh well I will call the Dr. It will be the first time I have seen him (gyn)since my surgery. thanks again

a great big from me to you,

Cissy
Unread 11-19-2002, 07:55 PM
Joint pain woes....

I think the point about estrogen is a good one. Have not had my hyst yet but went thru a 6 month round of Lupron. I have arthritis anyway but the Lupron seemed to make it flair into the worst joint pain I have had. Once I was out of the "chemical menopause" I started to feel better joint wise.
Unread 11-20-2002, 03:43 PM
about your knee pain

hi cissy , i also had awful pain in my knees, i went to my docter andshe told me to take evening primrose oil the highest dose i could take so i did and i now take 1000mgs a day and i have had no ache since i had relief nearly right away
hope this info helps
julie
Unread 11-21-2002, 05:04 AM
knee joint pain

There have been small studies that linked hormones to osteoarthritis and the knees--estrogen in general has a protective effect. The ligaments around the knees are loaded with receptors. The fact that you felt this develop at four months also seems suspicious since that's right around the time when your own levels have hit bottom (at least in the experience of the Jungle).

However, another possibility is water retention from the estrogen if it's unbalanced with progesterone. My knees hurt badly when I've stopped taking estrogen. But I've also had very achy joints when I'm off all progesterone for long periods.

There's another set of possibilities involving the nutrients that the liver uses up to process the estrogen--magnesium, a couple of B vitamins, zinc.

So, I would add in those nutrients right away because they help with a variety of aches and pains. There's more on them at www.hormonejungle.com/supp.php And after giving them a little time to see if they do the trick, I'd consider getting levels of hormones checked or tinkering a little with a higher dose. Just remember to give any change a little time since fluctuations can bring on some problems until things settle down again.

I'm afraid I know all too well how bad knees can be, but my bad knees don't bother me with the hrt.

BTW about evening primrose oil--I found some research that convinced me that it's best taken with adequate natural vitamin E and 1 gram of omega 3 fatty acids/eating a lot of fish. There's more on what I found at www.hormonejungle.com/primrose.php It has to do with a lot of chemical reactions and enzymes, but the more I read, the more I think things in the body are about balances, so that's the combination I take.
Unread 11-21-2002, 05:46 AM
knee joint pain

Hi,
another possibility for you to consider: is it possible you injured your knees somehow? I have a couple of times injured something under my kneecap (sorry, I'm an idiot and don't remember the correct medical term). Basically, I did it by pushing something heavy--a lawnmower--up a hill. The classic symptoms of this kind of injury are that you have knee pain when going up or down stairs, but otherwise they seem fine. The only way to treat it was to rest for a while. I had been running a lot and just eased up. I do get recurrences of it every once in a while.

I have no idea if this is what is going on with you, but just thought I'd suggest it.
Unread 11-22-2002, 01:48 PM
knee pain

Hi, I have severe knee pain as well.I never had it
until about a week & a 1/2 ago. I'm almost at the
6mo mark of my surgery. I had a boat load of blood
work done on Wednesday, I'm curious what it will
show. Chiropractic care hasnt helped, I would hate
to add another doctor to the list, but I may have
to add the orthpedic doctor if nothing shows on
the bloodwork. Hope you find an answer as well.
Sharon
Unread 10-28-2003, 06:45 AM
knee joint pain

I have joint pain from lupron too ! hips, shoulder, back, knees, real bad pain ! It was like suddenly getting arthritis all over !

The meds are worse that the illness. AND my insurance doesn't cover lupron.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register