New Here - Scared to Death!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New Here - Scared to Death!! New Here - Scared to Death!!

Unread 11-19-2002, 05:49 PM
New Here - Scared to Death!!

I've been reading all the posts and this is my first time posting, so I don't know all the lingo. I am having a hysterectomy in Jan, but don't know the date yet, they were supposed to call me today or tomorrow to set up the date. I'm shooting for Jan 16th if it is available. If I am having my cervix, and ovaries out, is that a TAV? My uterus is the size of a 5 month pregnancy and my fibroid is the size of a newborn's head.

Anyway, I am absolutely scared to death of having surgery. I've never had surgery before except tonsils when I was around 7.

I'm debating whether to have either an epidural or spinal or be put out. The Dr says as nervous as I am, that they will probably want to put me out. I'm just a wreck about it and don't know how I will cope until the time comes. I wanted to wait until after the holidays.

Is anyone else a wreck like me and constantly thinking about it? I know this is for the best and I will feel so much better aftwards, but it's the unknown that scares me.

Any pointers in how to cope until then? I was hoping that when I talk to the Dr (she said we would have another appt before the surgery) that they could give me something to take before I go the hospital to calm down. Do they do this?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Patty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2002, 06:04 PM

Hi Patty!

WELCOME to Hyster Sisters! We all know how scared you are, hon. We're all either there or have been there. Truly, the waiting is the hardest part.

Speaking for myself, I was put out. Everything that they have to do, they do while you are asleep... that includes the shaving too! Don't be scared to death, hon. What really helped me was being here and seeing how many others were going through it and concentrating on waking up in recovery and it being all over. Once you get yourself to realize that this is what THEY do and they do it every day, you will relax more.

Try to keep busy until then. Do some cooking and baking for the freezer, give the house a good vacuuming and silly things like that. Keep active and keep your mind occupied. Don't dwell on it and make yourself nuts. It's so easy to do that. This is where YOU have the control, hon.

Before you know it, it'll be behind you. You're going to be fine, hon. We're all here for you.

*HUGE HUGGERS*
Unread 11-19-2002, 07:23 PM

My recomendation would be to go w/ the general anesthesia. They normally do it in an IV just before you go into surgery & you don't wake up until they take you to your room (give or take). BTW - you are not the first nervous person in surgery. They're used to it & will work with you.

Read the various stuff on this site (I found the questions for the doc to be good on the pre-op hints), but also don't get too caught up in it.

I was told about this site, and on the one hand I've gotten great practical advice. And on the other I've been scared to death about some of the things others have encountered (but how wonderful for them to have a forum to ask others who have "been there, done that").

Do as much preparation as you can, & then just forget about it, or try to be calm about it. Post-op first 24 hours ***** (use the PCA for pain meds!) , but then each day gets better little by little.

Enjoy the holidays & use the time between now & surgery to get ducks in a row (ie, house cleaned beforehand, family & friends lined up to help out, magazines to read, etc, etc), and remember - it will be better when it's all over & you're recovered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2002, 09:19 PM

and Welcome!!

Yes, everything you are feeling is VERY normal and most of us have felt it too!! As we say alot...the waiting is really the hardest part. That and the fear of the unknown.

But you know, for me and most of the other sisters too, NONE of the surg and recovery was anywhere NEAR as bad as we were fearing. It is not a picnic, but it is not a horror either.

My surg went very well, and the first 24 hrs is really the most rough, and you sleep most of that time anyway. It is amazing how quickly you start to feel better and improve. For the most part I have actually enjoyed my recovery time as a good excuse for rest and relaxation for once. At 4 weeks post op I am doing great and have been for weeks. I have no regrets.

Try to keep busy with holidays and getting ready for surg and recovery(we call it "nesting"....obsessively cleaning and organizing). Then make sure you do some fun stuff for yourself to take mind off.

Soon you will be a beautiful and I tell you it rocks!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register