Upcoming hysterectomy 11/11: Keep tubes? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 11/11: Keep tubes? Upcoming hysterectomy 11/11: Keep tubes?

Unread 10-31-2019, 10:42 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 11/11: Keep tubes?

What's your opinion on keeping fallopian tubes? My doctor is encouraging me to remove them to prevent ovarian cancer in the future. I'm scheduled for a subtotal hyst - only removing uterus/tubes. He's said he'll do whatever I decide.

Never had an abnormal pap, endometrial biopsy or labs. Paternal grandma died of uterine cancer. Mom had a total hyst for heavy bleeding/fibroids. I was recently diagnosed with andenomyosis in addition to a previous surgery discovering endometriosis. Also have a large rapidly growing fibroid. Uterus is huge.

Read medical reports on the NCBI concerning this matter. Apparently having endo/adenomyosis, there is an increased risk of ovarian/thyroid cancer. I would like to keep as many parts as I can, but don't want to be illogical either.

Thoughts? Advice? Thank you for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2019, 12:08 PM
Re: Keep tubes?

Hi,

I also asked my doctor about keeping mine and he said that there is evidence that a cancer (ovarian, I think) can sometimes start in the tubes, so removing them reduces that risk. He joked that their purpose it to take the egg to the uterus and once that's gone, they are a bit useless.

He also left the decision up to me. I've decided to remove them and my cervix and leave my ovaries. Haven't had my surgery yet, but it feels like the right decision for me.

For me, having a hysterectomy somehow felt like I was going to be less of a woman/ feminine. I felt like the more parts I kept the better or more "me" I would feel. Luckily the hospital had me meet with a psychologist before approving surgery. Speaking to her and my family members who had had hysterectomies helped me to change that perception.

I hope you'll be able to find accurate information about the pros and cons of keeping your tubes, and maybe get some good advice so that you can make the best choice for you.

Good luck!
Unread 10-31-2019, 12:41 PM

Mine were removed a few years ago as part of my ablation/lap procedure (which failed, thus the recent hysterectomy). I remember doing a lot of research on my own and having a lot of discussions with my doctor but the gist was along the lines of.....

- There are new studies coming out that suggest that around up to 70% of ovarian cancers may originate in the Fallopian tubes. So removing them eliminates the risk of these cancers. In some patients they find microscopic beginnings of cancer that hasn’t yet made it to the ovary.

- Studies are showing that removing the tubes reduces a women’s lifetime risk of ovarian cancer by somewhere between 50-80% depending on her baseline risk level.

- He was also honest in admitting that this practice is new enough that they don’t yet have long term data to demonstrate what if any long term outcomes there might be from removal. He thinks that data will be forthcoming based on some studies underway and doesn’t expect to see any negatives but was honest in answering that question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2019, 12:43 PM

I certainly did not see any need to fight to keep them. I've not had any issues with cancer but still since there is no use for them after removing the uterus then they might as well go. Adding to that the benefit of greatly reducing ovarian cancer risk, which is one of the most difficult cancers to catch early, I am glad they are gone.
Unread 10-31-2019, 02:29 PM

Thank you ladies for your replies. I'm leaning towards having them removed for peace of mind.

Looking-Forward

Quote:
For me, having a hysterectomy somehow felt like I was going to be less of a woman/ feminine. I felt like the more parts I kept the better or more "me" I would feel. Luckily the hospital had me meet with a psychologist before approving surgery. Speaking to her and my family members who had had hysterectomies helped me to change that perception.
That's wonderful you were able to be at peace with your decision. I totally relate!! I'm also working with a psychologist to deal with issues concerning a hysterectomy. My attitude totally flipped when I saw my recent post-appointment-exam notes. Disturbed to see the size of my uterus, how much it's grown since my myomectomy, my rapidly growing tumor (2cm's larger this month alone!) and new diagnoses of adenomyosis. That was enough for me!
Unread 10-31-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyScreenName View Post
Thank you ladies for your replies. I'm leaning towards having them removed for peace of mind.

Looking-Forward

That's wonderful you were able to be at peace with your decision. I totally relate!! I'm also working with a psychologist to deal with issues concerning a hysterectomy. My attitude totally flipped when I saw my recent post-appointment-exam notes. Disturbed to see the size of my uterus, how much it's grown since my myomectomy, my rapidly growing tumor (2cm's larger this month alone!) and new diagnoses of adenomyosis. That was enough for me!
MyScreenName - I remember your post and am glad to see you are getting to a more peaceful place with your decision. I didn’t comment on your original post because I too had struggled somewhat with the decision, was close to surgery and didn’t want my experience to influence you either way. But now I feel like I can say that I too struggled with the choice beforehand and there are still some raw feelings after surgery. I worked through it beforehand with my therapist and am still doing so post surgery. BUT, especially now that it’s done I feel really settled in that it was the right decision and in some ways I think all the questioning and work I did beforehand has helped me feel that way. I hope that’s also the case for you and I wish you all the best!
Unread 11-01-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelar419 View Post
MyScreenName - I remember your post and am glad to see you are getting to a more peaceful place with your decision. I didn’t comment on your original post because I too had struggled somewhat with the decision, was close to surgery and didn’t want my experience to influence you either way. But now I feel like I can say that I too struggled with the choice beforehand and there are still some raw feelings after surgery. I worked through it beforehand with my therapist and am still doing so post surgery. BUT, especially now that it’s done I feel really settled in that it was the right decision and in some ways I think all the questioning and work I did beforehand has helped me feel that way. I hope that’s also the case for you and I wish you all the best!

Thank you for sharing and the kind words. How are you feeling and hows healing going? Are you willing to share an issue you had pre-op? Mine are: not feeling better/feeling old or pretty after. I'm happy for you in your feeling you made the right decision.

This is my 5th tumor and I asked myself How many more tumors and years do I want to deal with progressive diseases and huge belly? Some lovely poster commented that she didn't realize how much her hormones were affecting her life until after. I've wondered if this is my case too? We'll see....

Happy healing to you!!
Unread 11-01-2019, 05:53 PM

I struggled with questions of was this the right decision medically, could I put it off etc. But really I think the real underlying fears were fears of the surgery itself (I don’t tend to handle things like that well), sadness over losing my uterus (it may not treat me well but I still felt connected to it- we have quite a history, it’s carried my children, feels like part of my femininity etc), and fears of any hormonal changes this might create.

As for post surgery, there is definitely some sadness, but I know it’s just something I’ll continue to work through because medically it was the right choice. And it’s gotten easier even in the week or so since surgery to be honest! As for hormonal changes I haven’t experienced anything I’m aware of as of yet but I’ve also decided that if I do, I won’t shy away from using HRT if it’s needed (I kept my ovaries but still have worries). Physical recovery has gone really well. I’m 10 days post op, taking 1-2 mile walks daily and went back to work today (not entirely sure if that was a great idea but I did haha).
Unread 11-01-2019, 05:59 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 11/11: Keep tubes?

I saw no reason to keep the tubes - to be honest, i hadn't thought of them as a body part in their own right and had assumed they were considered part of the 'uterus' for purposes of a hysterectomy.

I am so, so glad that you are working with a medical professional who is honoring your process, and who is committed to an outcome that you'll be happy with. That's so important.
Unread 11-01-2019, 08:46 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 11/11: Keep tubes?

All of the terminology can get very confusing. Here is some information with diagrams that should help:
Hysterectomy Definitions and Types

Here is an article that discusses ovarian cancer origins: Fallopian Tubes and Ovarian Cancer

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register