chemo drugs | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-20-2002, 08:03 AM
chemo drugs

The chemo doctor called and wants to start right away. He mentioned two drugs, cisplatin and flouracil ( 5fu). He said something about 4 times a week. He was waiting for a call back from the oncologist in charge of my case before finalizing the plan with me. The insurance won't let me have appts with the gyn/ onc in charge but will pay for the rad/onc and the chemo doctor to consult with him. I trust the doctor in charge as far as his skill, but didn't like his arrogant personality, so i am glad to not have appts with him. i tended to clam up and then yell at my DH all the way home. The chemo dr. told me that the chemo alone without the radiation won't kill the cancer nodules, but only shrink them. That made it sound like I will be on treatments indefinitely until I can no longer handle the physical or emotional side effects. I am not sure it is even worth it. Having treatments 4 times a week that are going to make me sick will make me harder to live with then I already am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2002, 08:10 AM
ITS WORTH IT!!!

I know how you feel, and how scary it is. I had chemo in 1998--for eight months. You'll be alright, although you probably won't feel very good. Remember, you are giving yourself the best chance to beat the cancer and it's definitely worth it!
Unread 11-20-2002, 08:50 AM
chemo drugs

Thanks for the encouragement. I don't get depressed very often and when I do focusing on prayer, family and friends usually gets me over it quick. Last night, when the dr said the chemo will only shrink the cancer, not kill it, I envisioned being on it until the side effects or the cancer killed me.
i have a good husband and 4 teens. They don't need me like when they were little. Moms are supposedto be a source of comfort, always there with a band aid and a kiss to make the pain go away, but lately all i have been to my family is a source of grief and worry.
Last year I was climbing mountains, helping with my parish youth group, teaching 5th grade catechism. I am still doing all these things except for the mountains, but because I have lost weight, my friends hug me as if they are afraid I am going to break.I weigh 90, but before cancer I only weighed 102, so it's not much, but shows Everyone treats me like I am weak and they don't share their problems, let me be a part of their lives like before. Except for this site, i don't know anyone who has gone thru this so it is hard to know when I am being negative, or realistic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2002, 09:22 AM
chemo drugs

Huge s Debbie

I know you have been through sooo much!!! But you just have to go with the chemo right now. Your drugs are going to be different than what I received, but with all the new and better antinausea medicine, perhaps it won't be that difficult. And just maybe that doc will surprised when your chemo does more than just shrink the cancer!!! No one knows what the future holds.
Your kids may be teenagers, but they need you just the same. Even if you are not participating in all the activities with them, they love having you around. Sometimes we all feel quilty for the pain and worriment we have brought to our families. But the reality of it is, this is just life, and the chance we all take when we love other people.
Are you planning on getting an IV port inserted or will they just use a vein in your arm?
Keep in close touch!!!!!

s karenann
Unread 11-20-2002, 11:17 AM
Another Big :hug: for you

I just had chemo and didn't need radiation. Yes, it's a big step and at first it feels like it will be forever--but it isn't forever and then hopefully every last cell is gone for good. Report any bad side effects to your doctor--many can be controlled or helped. Are you getting a port? Someone mentioned that and I really recommend it.
Unread 11-20-2002, 03:52 PM
chemo drugs

Hi Margaret,

I'm not sure what a port is, but the last time I was in the hospital the surgically put a pick line into my iupper left arm and said chemp will be given thru this. It is supposed to be flushed every month, but can stay in indefinitely Is that the same as a port.?All that is visible is a little bump on my arm.
Unread 11-20-2002, 04:35 PM
PIC line and Port

A PIC line is different from a port. I'm not totally sure how, since I never have even seen a PIC line. I have a port. The surgeon went in through my neck and my port, under my skin entirely, is on my right breast. Second small scar there. It's a round metal device that plugs into a vein or artery (forget which). Ports seem to be chest and PIC lines seem to be arm/collarbone.
Unread 11-21-2002, 08:00 AM
chemo drugs

Debbie,

I had to look back through some old posts to remind myself what you are dealing with. I am by no means an expert on any of this, but I am wondering if maybe your doctor said the chemo would be for 4 weeks rather than 4 times a week. With cancers that have possibly gotten into the pelvis, my understanding is that the radiation is what actually kills the cancer cells, and the purpose of the chemo is to weaken the cells so the radiation can be more effective. Chemo 4 times a week sounds like a lot to me, but I know that all situations are treated individually, which is what we want.

At any rate, please don't give up on all this -- give the chemo and radiation a try. Some people handle it with minimal side effects, and for those who do have side effects, the doctors will be good about working with you with different meds to help you get through it.

Someone here once posted that their doctor had told them that the best chance for a cure from cancer it to go at it with all you have the first time around, because waiting until it comes back or moves somewhere else makes things so much more difficult. I know you have been through so much lately, but KEEP THE FAITH! We are all pulling for you to come through this! Keep posting and let us know what the plan is when it is finazlied with your doctor.

Joanie
Unread 11-21-2002, 01:05 PM
chemo drugs

Hi Joanie,

Thanks for he encouragement, The Dr. in charge still hasn't reurned the chemo dr's call to finalize the plan but if he does I will be given one of the drug four times a week, with two weeks off in between./ The other drug will be given once a week. The chemo will be high dose now that the drs decided against radiation. The said I could have handled pelvic radiation , but there is no longer canceri n that area. A few cells went thru the digestive track and are now growing in my small intestine. They don't feel my intestines could handle abdominal radiation without blockages or rupture. The radiation would have killed th cancer, but the dr. said the chemo will only shrink it, and he doesn't know for how long. I will give it a shot for one round ad leave it in God's hands. Meanwhile am looking frward to a great Thansgiving and already begun my Christmas shopping. If cancedoesn'tkill me, my DH will whn he sees the credit card!
Unread 11-21-2002, 02:52 PM
My Prayers are with you as you go thru this

Debbie,

I am praying very hard for you as you go thru this, I am currently going thru chemo and radiation, tho it is not as severe as what yours sounds.. I do believe that the Good Lord will see you thru this. As HE is helping me thru mine. I am also glad that you have a port or pic for them to give the drugs thru, that helps a lot. Keep the faith and take care

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register