Bad Pap>Bad Colp> now what??HELP PLEASE | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bad Pap>Bad Colp> now what??HELP PLEASE Bad Pap>Bad Colp> now what??HELP PLEASE

Unread 11-20-2002, 10:03 AM
Bad Pap>Bad Colp> now what??HELP PLEASE

I am 53 and got the first bad pap in my life. Then I had a colp. done with news of "bad Cells" Dr said at my age and history of good paps that I should get a hyst or at least a cone. I have a prolapsing bladder which also needs repair. I opted for the TAH with BSO. My question is that the dr said I had to have the cone before the hyst whether is was the morning of the hyst or 3 months before the hyst. WHY? He said that if I had cancer cells found in the cone biopsy that the hyst had to be done differently. Can anyone elaborate on this for me please. Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2002, 01:28 PM

I'm not an expert, but my DR told me that when a cancer concern exists, they prefer to do an abdominal hysterectomy as opposed to a vaginal one. They open you up and look around to see if they can spot any abnormal looking cells or growths on your intestines, bladder, kidney's etc. Be glad your DR knows the difference. My GYN was only going to do a vaginal and wait for the results of the path report, but I sent myself to a GYN/ONC and she about had a fit and insisted on the exploratory surgery. Is your DR a gynocologist oncologist? If not, you may want to get a second opinion from one just for comfort. Most will consult with you even though it's still just a cancer concern. Good luck to you. Hope they find nothing on their search! Keep as posted.
Unread 11-20-2002, 04:44 PM

Hi Linda!

I was first dx'd with dysplasia 10 yrs before my hyst. At that time I had a cone biopsy and the problem was resolved....the "bad cells" were removed and my paps were normal for 10 yrs.

When the pap showed up abnormal again I had another cone. I had clear margins but my pap done 3 months later came back abnormal and he sugested the hyst.

Here is some info about the reasons for the cone taken from Webmd.com:

Cervical cancer is suspected based on Pap test results, colposcopy, and a cervical biopsy. A cone biopsy can determine the extent, depth, and severity of the cancerous tissue and can guide treatment decisions.

Don't let the reference to "cervical cancer" scare you....Cones are routine for pre-cancers (dysplasia). Did your dr tell you the severity of the "bad cells"? Some dr's use terms such as mild, moderate, severe or CIN1, CIN2, CIN3.

I agree with Cindy about the GYN Oncologist. They deal with these pre-cancers all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2002, 08:30 PM

The reason you doctor probably wants to do a cone before is because if cancer cells are found he/she might want to do a radical hysterectomy rather than a total. I had a bad pap, (It was my first one) followed by a bad colposcopy. I then had a Leep which showed carcinoma in situ. I then was given the option of a cone or hysterectomy. I chose to skip the cone. It turned out that I had Stage 1A cancer. For stage 1B cancer a radical is necessary. If they had found stage 1B I would have had to have gone back in and had a second much more difficult surgery.

To make a long story short, your doctor wants to do the cone to make sure that the correct hysterectomy is performed.

I would advise you to get another opinion from a gyn oncologist. I wish that I had done more research and gotten more opinions before my surgery.
Unread 11-21-2002, 04:44 AM
Now I understand...

Thanks so much sisters for the info. I appreciate this. I now understand much more the WHY of what my Dr. said. He did not say about the severity of the Bad cells....I should have asked more. I have a consult with him tomorrow, I am going to ask more info. Tomorrow is the day I am going to schedule surgery.
Thanks...I'll keep you posted.
Unread 11-21-2002, 07:07 AM

Linda,
i agree with EM and Denis. The reason for the cone is to find out the stage your cancer is in, if it is present on the tissue or if it is invasive. If it is invasive the hyst will be what they call a radical hysterectomy, removing the lymphnodes and tissue plus cervix and uterus. (this also depends on the mm diameter if invasive)
I had a cone 6 years ago and since that time my pap's were fine, but this Apr it showed abnormal and another cone was performed, then a TAH followed by a rad hyst, because they did not find invasive tissue with the cone but with the TAH. I still don't know if the doctor that performed the cone did not get enough tissue or it was just further up. I did switch doctors.
Hope this helps you some.
Andrea
Unread 11-22-2002, 08:22 AM
I had CIS/CIN III

My doctor first performed colposcopy to verify the grade of the precancerous cells. When it was confimed CIS/CIN III, she told me I would have a cone biopsy to verify extent and further check the pathology. She said that if the results showed cancer, a gyn onc would perform the hyst which would include taking biopsies from my abdominal lymph nodes. Luckily, it hadn't yet gone to being anything more than CIS/CIN III. I was done with childbearing (I was 35 in July 2002) and asked her to do the abdominal hyst. I am very glad that I did and don't have to worry about cervical problems anymore. I am still a little worried about it showing up on what is left (VIN), but my chances are so much better now it has really put my mind at ease. I am not so indifferent about my health anymore. I thank God for giving me strength and for helping me find HysterSisters, they are a Godsend. I feel great.

I wish you the best.

Patsy TAH/BSO, taking HRT(severe adhesions from c-section, CIS/CIN III)

There is promising evidence that a vaccine tested in England and Australia may prevent the HPV that is found in 90% of all cervical dysplasia and may be available in as soon as five years. I pray that it works and saves other women from going through this.
Unread 11-23-2002, 02:06 PM
that is scarey

To think that one test would not pick up the cancer and the TAH would is scarey. Did you have to have another surgery to get the lymph nodes?
Unread 11-28-2002, 04:21 PM

Linda,
if you question was directed to me: YES, I did have two operations. TAH in Aug and 6 weeks later to get the tissue and the lymphnodes removed. No cancer was found in the lymphnodes. thanks godnes.
How are you doing?
Andrea
Unread 11-30-2002, 07:11 PM

{{Linda}}

I wanted to send some additional {{Hugs}} your way. Were you able to get the cone and/or surgery scheduled at your appointment?

I hope you were able to get all your questions answered. Let us know how it went when you get a chance.

{{Hugs}}

Vicki

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register