Possible vaccine for cervical cancer coming??..... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Possible vaccine for cervical cancer coming??..... Possible vaccine for cervical cancer coming??.....

Unread 11-20-2002, 03:20 PM
Possible vaccine for cervical cancer coming??.....

I caught the tail end of this story on our national news here tonight, and found this article about it. A promising vaccine in the works for cervical cancer!!

http://www.canada.com/health/story.h...3DC0B9F1DF8%7D

If this comes about its very good news!!!

Hugs
Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2002, 04:18 PM

Hi Maria,

I had the TV muted and didn't catch the beginning of it either, but apparently it's a vaccine for the HPV virus that causes most cervical cancers. I was surprised tho when they said that 20% of American women carry the virus......I'm used to seeing a larger figure.

An any case..........won't it be wonderful to have a vaccine that can wipe out a cancer in the future?
Unread 11-20-2002, 05:36 PM

I caught the story with Peter Jennings. What wonderful news. Apparently girls will be given the vaccine when they are between ten and twelve. I guess once they can identify what causes the cancer (as in the HPV) they can really get into prevention mode.
I too thought the per cent of the population carrying HPV was much much higher.

karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2002, 08:29 AM
Percentage of Population in United States

I read an article that said as many as 40 million Americans carry it. Isn't that a shame that such an easy to contract virus could cause so much mayhem and heartbreak? I wish they could do this for all cancers, but it's a start in the right direction. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. (I have a 6 yr. old daughter and cervical dysplasia runs in my family).

Patsy TAH/BSO (CIS/CIN III, severe adhesions from c-section)
Unread 11-22-2002, 02:04 PM

I Thought that it was just the best news ever.
Has anyone heard about taking the three mushroom complex capsule.. It is Maitake, Reishi and Shiitake mushrooms. The nutritionist suggested i take 3 capsules once a day at breakfast. Then my husband saw an article in a health magazine about the wonderful effects of Maitake mushrooms. It said that they have been linked to good health to those that eat them and has been highly prized for centuries in Japan. Their name means that it symbolizes strentgh and vigilance. The mushroom has a powerful anti cancer effect and the D fraction stops the growth of cancer cells and cancerous tumors. Because of its success, it is now being used in clinical trials for breast cancer in addition to chemo. Maybe this worth a try!!
Rosalie
Unread 11-22-2002, 05:55 PM

Keeping my fingers crossed that it is found to be successful and comes to market quickly!

Most of the readings do say that 50-80% of women carry HPV. Now that includes all of the various strains, so maybe the 20% is the statistic for women who carry a particular strain or strains (HPV 16 and 18) that are most highly associated with cervical cancer.
Unread 11-22-2002, 07:26 PM

Great news, I think! My physician told me that most women have this in their system....I'm not too sure where the lower percentage comes from...I'll have to read the article in the paper. Amazing to think how prevalent it is.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register