Ture Or Not True | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ture Or Not True Ture Or Not True

Unread 11-22-2002, 11:24 AM
Ture Or Not True

Hello,
Just wanting to know if anyone can tell me from there own experience if this is true.
Today while volunteering at my children's school a few of the teachers were talking about there hyst. That after all they had went threw, with different treatments and nothing seemed to work. They felt that is was like a "Dream come true" and a "Blessing from Above". ANd would recommend having a hyst. to anyone. That it was a big deal, but yet why suffer when you really dont have to.......NO MATTER what you will ALWAYS be a WOMEN.
And also if you have a TVH with the help of a lapo can your DOC really be able to see and check all your internal organs as well as repair anything? Even be able to put in a bladder sling if you need it? Or do you need to have a bikin cut to have this all done???
I have made up about 20 plus questions for my pre-op appt, a lot of them I have gotten from this site on info to ask him. I tell you what ladies this site has helped me out so much.. I feel bad now in a sence cause my doc is in for a treat when I finally get back in his office... He WONT BE DEALING WITH A dummy.....

to everyone.........
Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2002, 11:34 AM
I had LAVH with repairs, no abdominal incisions

and yes, a skilled doc can see everything and repair everything with a laproscope, depending on the diagnosis and size of the uterus and fibroids. I did have a small incision at my bikini line with two of my laps for insertion of instruments and removal of diseased tissues that were too large to get thru the belly button. With my fibroid removal, 4 inch incision which healed fast. There also might be other ports cut in the ab for instruments too. As far as bladder repair, that isn't something you can just snap your fingers and arrange. Usually, not always, the gyn will bring in a urologist to do those repairs and the patient has some testing to do before hand. I had two appointments each with the gyn and uro pre-op and the two of them had to compare schedules to pick a mutually convenient day to do my surgery. Some gyns are cross-trained in urology but mine wasn't.

I also had to have a last minute consult with my proctologist that wasn't expected, but that isn't the norm.
Unread 11-22-2002, 12:46 PM
Ture Or Not True

I had a lap vaginal hysterectomy 4 weeks ago and would HIGHLY recommend it if your doctor says he can do it, just make sure your doctor has a lot of experience in doing this. I had three incisions, one in my belly button that I cannot even find, one on the lower left side about 1 inch long and one on the right lower side about 1/2 to 3/4 inches long, no pain with any of the three and they have healed great. My pain since the day of surgery has been almost nonexistent, only if I overdo it, and no pain medication since the day of surgery. Also, no bleeding at all with the exception of a drop about nickle sized on the pad when I came to my room after surgery. I asked my doctor pre-op if he could look at everything else in my abdomen by lap really good as I have had colon polyps in the past and diverticulosis, also had been felt to have gallbladder problems and wanted him to check everything, and he assured me he could check everything over as good as if he had me cut open. My uterus was large with one of the fibroids being softball size located behind my pelvic bone, he got everything out after cutting it up in three pieces and believe me when I tell you that I have had no vaginal pain afterwards. If you can, this is the way to go. I am not so sure about the bladder sling, I didn't have anything else done but LAVH-BSO. I am so happy and have the highest praise for my doctor in the way I have felt after surgery. Keep asking questions, especially to your doctor. Good luck in your decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2002, 12:55 PM
Ture Or Not True

ksc_n_nc, I forgot to tell you the best part, surgery was at 8 a.m. Tuesday morning, back in my room at around 12, discharge papers at about 10 a.m. Wednesday morning. But I really felt they should have kept me one more day, guess I was scared.
Unread 11-22-2002, 02:36 PM
Ture Or Not True

Since I had an abdominal incision I can't speak to that part, but yes, I can somewhat agree with what you heard those ladies saying.

Just over a year ago, i had to make the decision to have a hyst. It was by no means easy, and was a very emotional decision for me which took a lot of thought and discussion. As I would read throughtese boards I read ladies saying it was the best thing that ever happened to them, deciding to have one. I thought there was no way I would ever be one of those ladies. Here I am nearly a year later agreeing, it was the best decision for me. I can't say that I encourage having them, but I do not speak ill of the proceedure. I believe one should exercise all viable options for their condition first, and do their research before they consider a permanent proceedure.

I never held the belief that I was a woman because I had a uterus, so in now way has my surgery made me feel any less of one. It was more I am a woman with an organ giving her some bad issues, I've tried other things and now it's time for it to go so I can get back to being the vibrant person I know myself to be.

BSQ
Unread 11-22-2002, 03:08 PM
Ture Or Not True

Hi, Karen! I had a laprascopy-assisted vaginal hysterectomy(LAVH/LSO), so I only had three very small incisions, also - one in the belly button (not as gross as it sounds - never hurt), one over the left ovary that was removed and one just above the pubic bone. I thank God I still have one working, healthy ovary. I recovered very well.

I can tell you from my own personal experience that I have never regretted having this surgery for a moment. I thank God every day that I'm not bleeding anymore!

It is *so* wonderful being a Princess - I cannot express in words how much better my quality of life is now.

I have personally never felt like "less of a woman" because I no longer have a uterus (or a cervix, either - and orgasms are just as intense as before surgery). That may very well have to do with the fact that I had already settled the issue that I would not be having any more children some years ago (I am 47 now and have three dds).

I have discovered since the hysterectomy that I am allowing myself to enjoy life more - I am "pampering the Princess" - me!

I hope all goes very well for you. You'll do great!

s,

Sue
Unread 11-22-2002, 06:48 PM
It was unanimous

Everyone I talked to before my surgery without exception said having a hysterectomy was the BEST thing ever done. Nobody regretted it. And at 6 weeks out, I do not miss doing the hall-crawl in a soggy diaper at all!
Unread 11-22-2002, 09:30 PM
Ture Or Not True

My only regret was that I had to suffer so long. I would have been happy to have one years ago.

If pain, bleeding, and fatigue define feminity, then count me out. If anything, I finally feel like being a woman "might not so bad after all"... just the first 20 years or so were kinda rough. More that feeling more/less of a woman, I now feel like less like a "patient", and more like a "healthy person".

I had abdominal surgery, and it went very well - no complaints. 6 weeks before my hyst I had a laparoscopic surgery, and it was more painful, and left me feeling worse generally, than my abdominal hyst.

Of course, I wouldn't recommend a hyst to "everyone", because there is some risk involved - and people have very different feelings about the whole thing. But I wish the medical community in general would require a little less suffering on our parts before allowing us one, when it's called for. The costs to women in terms of health, careers, relationships, and every other aspect of life are tremendous. When a woman has problems that can be clearly cured by a hyst, and *if* she *wants* a hyst, she should not have to go through years of "trying this" and "trying that" before she can be well again and move on.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register