Return to work part-time? I need a release!? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Return to work part-time? I need a release!? Return to work part-time? I need a release!?

Unread 11-22-2002, 06:14 PM
Return to work part-time? I need a release!?

Hi Ladies,

It's now day 22 of me recovery...........exactly three weeks since my Nov 1st surgery.

I have a few pains here and there, and mainly just get tired easy... so my thought was that I would return to work say 3 to 4 hours a day next week.

Well, when I called EDD about my disability they said I would need a written release from the doctor first. Soooooo, I call the doctor's office and the girl says "It's only been three weeks, you need to come in for your five week check first, then if you are healing ok, you will get a release".

I guess the protocal is to examine me to see if I am healing properly *before* I go back to work, even part time!

This came as a surprise as this is the same doctor that seemed so cavalier about my recovery at the one week check up!

Geeesh............ Is this the common experience out there? I am happy to lay low another week, but I was just surprised that even 3 to 4 hours of sit-down work had to be cleared first!

Comments?

Cori
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2002, 06:44 PM
Hi Cori,

I know you're bored. Believe me, I know exactly how that feels. But Sweetie, you really need to take at LEAST 6 weeks off from work.

You've had major surgery, and three and even four weeks post-op is just too soon. You only get one chance to heal properly and this is it. If you rush back to work too soon, it can set your recovery time back. And that would put you being out and bored even longer. Plus, it's very difficult to convince your boss and co-workers that you aren't totally back to normal, if you do need to take more time, because you've already shown up!

I went back to work from boredom at 5 1/2 weeks, just half days for four days, then back to full-time at 6 weeks. It was very, very exhausting. Plus, sitting for too long was very uncomfortable (desk job), and I had to keep getting up and walking around, or sit slouched down in my chair. (I honestly thought I was beyond that phase of discomfort because at home, I could sit without any pain. But after a few hours at work, I was back taking pain medications again.)

Please do yourself a big favor. Be bored a few more weeks. Life and your job will still be there when you're totally healed and ready to get back to the grind.

Best wishes and s,

Lisa

PS: And yes, you do normally need your doctor's approval before returning to work. This is protection for your company and the insurance carrier.
Unread 11-22-2002, 06:49 PM
Don't Push

Hi Cori,

I had my TAH/BSO on 10/4. Today marks the end of my first week back at work part time, just 4 hours a day. I had to come home and have a nap and I was in bed at 9:15 last night and I didn't start this until 6 weeks post op.

I can tell that I am getting stronger, but you are so early yet in your recovery. Lie on the couch, turn on the t.v. and just smile because you will wish for those days very soon!!!

Jodi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2002, 07:01 AM

I only had surgery on the 15th, and was thinking I could return to my administrative position with promises of no lifting files, etc after week 3. However, yesterday my mom took me for a SHORT mental health trip to Walmart and an hour in the real world wiped me out for the rest of the day. My son had stayed home for his turn to "help me" (the day off school was a bonus...haha!) and I swear if he could have used the bathroom for me I'd have NEVER gotten up from my nap. I am actually understanding why the time off is so important. Do a little something and use it as a barometer of how you are doing...that may be the really important thing for you to do in order to keep resting and not go totally crazy. My short trip out was a real eye-opener for me!
Unread 11-23-2002, 07:28 AM
Enjoy your time off.......

Hi
Just wanted to add something........like the other sisters are saying, rest & enjoy it..........once you go back to work, you will wished that you had, one more week.......I went back to work Monday & although things went well, I sure missed those afternoon naps By Wednesday, I was so ready for the weekend. I'm feeling great & my mind is finally out of that brain fog state............it was nice to get out and see everyone, but at 3 - 4 weeks post op, not sure you're all the way ready for that big step............wait it out..........you'll be glad you did!

Traci
Unread 11-23-2002, 08:39 AM

I needed a release to return to work as well, although most of my workdays are just 5.5 hours long.

Take advantage of your time off work to recuperate as much as possible. You're feeling better, so it's easy to forget your body is still in a delicate condition. Your MD has a lot of experience with the surgery, and if he feels you shouldn't even consider going back to work until at least your 5-week appointment, then it's wise to follow his advice.

My job is mostly sedentary and the atmosphere at work is very pleasant; however, I had three deadlines on Wednesday afternoon that completely wiped me out. Fortunately, my employer is very understanding and gave me a day off on Thursday and I worked shorter hours on Friday.

If you have an understanding employer who will want you to put your health ahead of your job, then it's okay to return to work before your disability runs out. If not, take the full length of your disability off work--your health is more important.
Unread 11-23-2002, 08:42 AM
please don't rush your healing

I have the stir-crazies too, so I empathize. I keep repeating like some insane mantra that I only get one recovery and I can't push healing. It's true too. I've pushed it and I've paid for it already.

The way I am looking at this is I have been given a gift all wrapped up in steri-strips. Just how often does a modern woman get permission to disconnect from everyday stress and focus on herself? I don't know about anyone else, but I haven't had this kind of time to myself since I was a little kid.

I was also reading last night that stress depletes our bodies, especially our adrenal glands. Adrenal glands are putting out pre-cursers for testesterone, estrogen and progesterone and help with HRT in many ways. I think I will sit back and help my body do what it needs to do. Time enough for dealing with work stuff later.
Unread 11-23-2002, 08:11 PM

I know how bored you are, but I also know that it takes longer than you think to recover.
I was supposed to go back to work this last Monday, but after my supervisors heard that I wasn't going to be at 100% when I got back, they reminded me that it was our company policy that we can't come back to work after a medical leave unless we are at 100%. So I can't go back part time or light duty. My job consists of being on my feet for 8 hours a day.
I spoke with my DR about this and he told me that it usually takes 8 weeks for total recovery and he wanted to give me two more weeks out of work. I agreed to take one more week and said I thought I'd be fine after that.
So, I'll take my one more week and make the best of it. And hopefully I'll be just fine after returning to work.
Take your time, rest, and heal well.

--Ang
Unread 11-24-2002, 07:50 AM

I realize I'm not far postop, but my short jaunts out of the house...supervised by my mother, no less...have wiped me out. I felt crummy for a whole day and am not even going to get dressed today. The HARDEST thing about this surgery and recovery is knowing how much is too much. Forget work. Take time to heal...
Unread 11-24-2002, 12:27 PM

I'm self-employed, so I don't have an option on returning to work sooner than the 4-6 week period. Luckily when I'm not traveling, my work consists of being on the computer or phone. That said, I started doing part-time work last week (1 week post-op) & it wiped me out. (Some of my clients were quite understanding; some still need work done - I'm a consultant). So I'm only allocating 30 minutes this weekend to computer, and doing other things less - and listening to my friends who have come over to help who said quit doing things! And I'm going to do as little as possible this week, just enough to keep clients happy - and thank goodness it's a holiday week, so things will shut down early. TAKE AS MUCH TIME AS YOU CAN EVEN IF YOU'RE BORED - you can't get it back. Right now I envy those who get 4-6 weeks off from work. Of course it would also help if I didn't spend so much time on the hystersisters website; that's more time spent than should be on the computer, but the input has been great, especially to questions I've posted.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register