Bladder spasms??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladder spasms??? Bladder spasms???

Unread 11-22-2002, 08:16 PM
Bladder spasms???

OK - What are bladder spasms anyway???

I am now three weeks - today - post-op - TAH/BSO - and am having and have had the most interesting 'pain' when I urinate.

At first, I thought it could be an infection, as I had a Foley catheter, which was taken out while in the castle. There is low grade fever - which I seem to run whenever my body is fighting. Had a round of Antibiotics IV in the castle and then oral at home. I ran a fever while in the castle - highest was 101.8. Now at home it hits 100.3 max and then goes away.

The sensation comes only toward the end of my stream and the only way to describe it is that it is like someone shoving a knife in my bladder as I go and twisting. I actually find myself Lamaze breathing just to get through it......

Could this be bladder spasms? What do these feel like?
I am going to watch the low grade fever, which I have been running these past three weeks, and plan on calling my doc on Monday just to be sure.

Some of you have shared about the 3 week plateau - I think I hit that wall..... Thank God you're here!

Peace,
Cheryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2002, 08:24 PM
Bladder spasms???

Hi dezelee2

I experienced the same thing as you since the catheter was removed in the castle. I was running a low grade fever in the castle and was determined that I had a UTI. My doctor presscribed Cipro 500 mg. for the remaining two days in the castle and a prescription for 7 days to take at home. It seemed to clear up but still had the bladder spasms. I called my doctor at 5 weeks post op to tell her that I still was experiencing them and she prescribed URISPAS for 5 days. It relaxes the urinary tract and more or less "resets" the bladder so she said. The bladder has alot of trauma during surgery - even the slightest touch can cause bruising for a number of weeks during our healing. I still experience bladder spasms but are more minor, but here the last couple of days have been experiencing a little more. I am gonna check my temp too in case I have a UTI. I would call your doctor and he/she will probably order a urinary culture to see if you have one too. I hope you are feeling better soon s
Unread 11-23-2002, 06:45 AM
Bladder spasms???

I had endo removed from my bladder and had horrible spasms. I have taken a drug called Detrol. It helps somewhat but not totally. You need to be checked for an infection just to be sure. Also, over the counter Uristat helps with the pain for me. At six weeks I still am having trouble in the Urinary dept.

The spasms have the same feeling as an infection. (at least it did for me).

Pyridium is another good drug for the pain. However, it is rough on the stomach and made me real sick. I am kind of sensitive though.

Good luck. Get a urine culture to be sure. You could be carrying around an infection. I was for about 1 week and did not know it.

Take Care.

Jeanie Beanie
TAH 10/14 Endo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2002, 08:31 AM
Bladder spasms???

Yep, been there . I had them so bad they sent me to a urologist at week three and I had a cystoscopy. That showed "something" sitting on my bladder. CT scan revealed it was my colon pushing my bladder over - hence the indention the urologist saw when he filled my bladder.

Anyhow, they tried ditropan and it did nothing. Put me on detrol and that helped! I've been drinking 3 glasses of metamucil a day to make sure I stay regular (per doc's orders) so my colon doesn't irritate my bladder. I still get them once in a while, but feel 100% better. My bladder was adhered to my uterus, so anything else touching it sent it into madness I guess lol.

Do call your doc. With the low grade fever and the bladder spasms, you need to get it checked out. I never had a UTI, just the spasms - ughh! They felt like some kind of torture device to me lol - and would shoot pains through my vagina into my rear end when they were at their worst. I'm soooo relieved to be rid of them for the most part (just an occasional spasm if I have held it too long) and am no longer taking any meds.

Hope you are feeling better soon!
Unread 11-23-2002, 08:49 AM
Whew!

You know - I will say it again - Thank God for this website!

I will definitely give my doc a call on Monday.

Thanks again!!!
Cheryl

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register