pain meds | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-24-2002, 06:08 AM
pain meds

I'm 5 days post op, and asking my question here because I imagine more women on this board have had surgeries like mine.

I had a radical hysterectomy (kept my ovaries) for cervical cancer. I am sporting a beautiful catheter bag on my leg. No staples or stitches on the outside, just that super glue stuff and steri strips.

Here's my concern. Many women talk of trying to give up pain meds asap. I can't live without them right now. Yesterday, wehn I came home, I was one hour over due for pain pill, then one LONG hour trip home, then waited 1/2 hour for DBF to go get scrips filled. That entire time was a horrid painful blur. I assume this will get better with time, walking, resting, drinking, etc. But I'm also concerned because I don't want to become addicted. I have never been addicted to anything but cigs, but there is a history of drug/alcohol addiction in my family. Right now, I sleep a few hours at night, then wake up in bad pain when meds wear off. Take anoher pill, then 1/2 hour later drift off.

I have Darvoset (1 - 2 every six hours) for minor (ha ha) pain and Vicodin (1 every 4 hours) for bad pain. I try to take just one Darvoset every 5 - 6 hours, which doesn't completely get rid of pain, but makes it tollerable. Sometimes I DO need 2 and twice have needed a Vicodin (from over doing things).

Feedback? And, most important, s to all the wonderful, supportive, helpful women here. You've been life savers, and that is no over statement!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2002, 06:37 AM
pain meds

s Sue

The pain threshold can vary greatly from woman to woman, even when the surgery is exactly the same. Your incision may appear very well healed on the outside, but there is still alot of healing taking place beneath.
Your doctor sent you home with prescriptions and their directions that she/he felt were reasonable and prudent.
If I were you, I'd be quite comfortable using those drugs as prescribed for at least the next week to ten days.
Slowly you will notice your need for them will lessen.
Just take it easy and listen to your body. Very short walks with periods of resting with feet up.

karenann
Unread 11-24-2002, 06:56 AM
5 days is too soon to judge

Sue's

As Karenann said, every woman is different. I stayed on mine for a good 2 to 3 weeks post. Mainly used mine to help to sleep at nite by week 2.5 and 3. My surgery was not even as radical as yours. So don't feel like you are going to get addicted to them. I believe that you will know when you no longer need them. Five days is way too early to judge. Just listen to your body and it will tell you when to taper off.

Just take care and make sure that you take care of yourself
Remember my prayers are with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2002, 08:50 AM
Good Advice from Karenann

I was in the hospital 9 days for extensive surgery. I was sent home with a prescription for I think 20 oxycodone/5mg. I was still having pain when I went home; a year later I disposed of the last five pills that I didn't need. We all react differently and resting, not doing what we shouldn't, and using the pain meds as directed will help. That time when they aren't needed will come.
Unread 11-24-2002, 11:28 AM
pain meds

Hi Sue,

I was on Vicodin and Motrin 800 mg when I was discharged. I was on the Vicodin, about two pills a day, for about a week, but I took it in conjunction with the Motrin, which I stayed on for two weeks, then sporadically after that. I would definitely keep ahead of the pain, though, because it is hard to get relief once you've gone past that "point". Perhaps, your doctor can give you advice on how to taper the narcotics once you have healed up a little bit.

Keep being a good and lots of and
Unread 11-24-2002, 12:17 PM
pain meds

Dear s,

Thank you sooo much, you have eased my mind tremendously. I guess I knew somewhat how you would answer, just needed that support.

Well, I'm off to spend some quality time on my new fiercest enemy, Potty, hoping my new best friend, Stool Softener, is working! Thanks again ladies.

sue

PS. Do you suppose anyone has invented a slightly more fashionable catheter bag? Perhaps one that empties itself as well as being attractive? Between that lovely device and the frequent :cry: spells for no aparent reason (attention ovaries: GET BACK TO WORK!) it's my guess that my DBF is thankful for the no sex thing!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register