Hernia repair questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hernia repair questions Hernia repair questions

Unread 11-24-2002, 06:51 AM
Hernia repair questions

I'm making my list of questions for the surgeon I see on Wednesday. I know general things to ask - like what to expect in hospital and after, just exactly what technique he uses and what his waiting list is like. Also, the question of weight loss is still on my mind, so I'll ask that. But these are fairly general questions. Are there some specifics I could ask that would be helpful?

Thanks a bunch. It's really good to finally have a place to discuss this. I really don't want surgery again, am a bit fearful of the outcome, but really can't continue as is.

Joselle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2002, 10:06 AM
Hernia repair questions

Hi Joselle

I don't have any insight to offer, since I've never gone through hernia surgery, however, I did want to this back to the top.

Unread 11-24-2002, 11:28 AM
Hernia repair questions

(((Joselle))),
I have no personal experience with this surgery either but I do have some very informative links to this condition, surgery to repair it and some general surgery stuff like what to expect and being prepared. Hopefully, they will help & I'm sure someone will come along shortly to share some personal experience/advice.

Good Luck, my thoughts and prayers will be with you that all goes well and you have a speedy recovery Please check in when your up to it.....(((hugs)))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2002, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the links

BUT, the discussions are almost entirely about inguinal repairs, congenital hernias and also laparoscopic procedures. That's mainly what I have found in my searches. I don't really think incisional hernias are that rare and wish there was more information out there related to those of us who end up with mesh in our bellies, usually done through our original incisions so that the entire incision area can be examined. Grr-rr-r

Joselle
Unread 11-25-2002, 06:02 AM
Hernia repair questions

Joselle - I had the same problem. There was not much out there on my type of hernia. 80% of my bowel was right under my skin and I looked 9 mos pregnant before they discovered that it was a hernia - not swelly belly and seromas.

My hernia repair was 10/16. He went in through the original incision exactly 4 weeks to the day from the hyst, only he made the incision much longer. He started above belly button, cut around it and then down to the top of the pubic area. (Maybe because I am a large princess?) The plan was to use mesh. The morning of the surgery he found that I had MRSA (I found out postop) and could not use the mesh. He spent 2 hours cutting adhesions, cut out the seroma, put the bowels back and sewed me back up. This was much more painful than the hyst - not sure if was related to the surgery, the MRSA, or having seromas????

Doc told me that without the mesh, there was a good chance that I would herniate again. GRRRRRR He had put a binder on me and it made me miserable. My skin broke out from it and it was soooo uncomfortable. My visiting nurse asked if we could use an I can't believe it's not a girdle type of undies instead when my incision started opening up. Actually, there have been a miracle. I am more comfortable getting up and down, rolling from side to side and walking with it on - as well as it holds the wound together and releases the pressure on the hernia repair caused by my big belly. Wish we had done it sooner. I highly recommend these!!!!

Good luck and please let me know if I can help in any way or answer any specifi questions. Sending you much love.
Unread 11-25-2002, 08:13 PM
hernia symptoms

Hope the surgery goes well! I know it can be frustrating to have things continue on.
I was wondering if anyone could share just general incisional hernia symptoms. I now have a lump about 4 inches to the right of my belly button. If I gently push in that area - yikes! It really is sore. My incision already goes from my pubic bone and then up and around my belly button. At first it just hurt when I bent over to tie my shoes, now I can't handle having a waist band around it. This has all developed over the last few days. I should mention that I have a hemorhaggic ovarian cyst on the other side that should be well shrunken by now (no more symptoms, but they will do another ultrasound in December). I have been out of town on business and will be calling my doc on Wednesday. To be honest, I am so tired of going to the doc, I'm still hoping the post-hysterectomy fairy will come and wave this all away !
Thanks for any advice!!
Unread 11-26-2002, 06:59 AM
Hernias don't usually feel sore

A small hernia wouldn't hurt, at least not from my experience. Many people have hernias for a long time without pain. The pain usually comes, it is my understanding, from pressure on other organs, the pull from the weight of it, and the stretching as the hole becomes larger. Although the lump you describe does sound like the description of a hernia, the soreness does not. At least not to me. I'd have it checked out.

Joselle
Unread 11-30-2002, 05:23 PM
Hernia repair questions

Hi Joselle

Have you seen this site?

Hernia Surgery Experiences

It's a message board where you can post questions and read through posts about others' experiences (but it is NOT organized as well as this site, nor as it as easy to read)...

I hope this helps!

z
Unread 12-01-2002, 01:41 AM
Thanks for the link

Yes, I've seen that site but had forgotten about it, thank you. You're right, it isn't as well organized and last time I looked there weren't any posts on ventral hernias, but I see some there now.

I'm still feeling very uncertain about what to expect regarding recovery. My doctor said I'd be fine in 6 or 8 weeks. I'm interested in the first six weeks. He said I'd go home on Tylenol 3s. I can't take that medication or any other narcotic. He was called away during my appointment and I will go back to have a chat, but I find that the doctors usually aren't able to describe what to expect as well as people who have been through the experience. I was so prepared for my TAH/BSO but I feel so unprepared for this!!

Joselle

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register