chemo day | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-25-2002, 06:37 AM
chemo day

I am staring the first chemo in a few hours, It will be three days in a row and take about 6 hours. I am scared but anxious to start attacking the cancer. I will be very thankful on Thanksgiving ,even if sick, knowing the cancer cells probably don't know what hit them *punch*'
I want to share with all of you an e-mail I recieved from the surgeon who did the pelvic exenteration in August. I have not seen him since leaving the hospital ( UC Davis in Sacramento), and he is no longer involved in my case, since the insurance is now sending me to a different hospital and doctors, but this good Doctor has kept an eye on my case, been in touch with my new doctors and answered any questions I have e-mailed him. I e-mailed him the latest and after talking to my doctors, seeing the pet scan, he sent the following this morning.
Hi, Ms Greco

This has got to be confusing and very, very distressing.

To summarize what is going on. I think the choice to go with chemotherapy
without radiation is a good one.

At the time of my surgery, the problem seemed to be only a local one. I
was concerned that the tumor was very stuck to the right side of the
pelvis. Radiation to a local spot in that circumstance makes great sense.

When Dr Sloane discovered the new tumors scattered throughout the abdomen
the situation changed drastically. Now, saving your life depend on
treating a wide-spread problem, not just a local problem. The radiation
would actually complicate things because it reduces your white cell counts
enough to compromise the amount of chemtherapy you can receive. Getting
the maximum amount of chemo you can has been shown over and over again to
be associated with a better chance of survival--more is better in this
situation.

The chemo will also work to control the local problem in the pelvis that I
feared would be the major problem. Unfortunately, the major problem now is
that this tumor is acting very aggressively. We need to treat you with a
therapy that treats every nook and cranny of your body. Only chemo can do
that.

So, this will be no picnic, as you can well imagine. However, you are a
tough, tough individual and I think that going the chemo route will be
something you can accomplish very well. It is the best way to start.
Phil S
I am definitely giving thanks for Doctors like him this Thansgiving.
I will try to post again before Thursday, but if I can't Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.
love,
Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-25-2002, 07:35 AM
Good Luck--Great Reply

I'm really impressed that your surgeon would send that to you even though insurance has you going elsewhere. Sounds like the type I wish I'd had... Good luck with the chemo. You may be OK on Thanksgiving but whatever remember that those cancer cells are having their worst Thanksgiving ever!
Unread 11-25-2002, 08:10 AM
chemo day

Debbie:

That surgeon sounds like an . Always great to have someone like him in your corner ing for you! And hopefully it helps ease your heart and mind that this is definitely the way to go.

We'll also keep you in our prayers around here. Visualize those chemo drugs, armed to the teeth, taking on the tumor "nasties". It's going to be quite a fight, but you obviously have the required spirit, and the medical team on your side...and a lot of prayer and good will coming your way.

Audrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-25-2002, 03:20 PM
chemo day

(( Debbie ))

What a wonderful thing for the dr to send you that note. I thought of you today and am hoping that your chemo session went well for you.

Unread 11-25-2002, 04:30 PM
chemo day

Debbie,

I also thought of you today and hoped that your chemo was okay -- I remember that the first day is especially hard from a mental perspective -- you just don't know what to expect and it can seem so overwhelming.

I know that you are beginning a tough path, but you have come a long way already and I know that you have faith in God to see you through. A while back I heard a chemo survivor say that chemo is not pleasant, but it is Do-Able, and I think that is an accurate statement.

PLEASE take excellent care of yourself -- eat as much as you can, drink lots of water, and accept ALL offers of help -- we honor our friends and loved ones when we allow them to help us, even though we moms aren't programmed to accept help easily. Focus in on your health, save any extra energy for good times with hubby and kids.

I will keep you in my thoughts and will pray that the chemo does it's job!!!

Joanie
Unread 11-25-2002, 04:54 PM
chemo day

Hi Debbie..
Hope your chemo session went well. I remember the first one like it was yesterday but i also remember, very well, the last!!Hopefully by Thursday you will be feeling better and when everyone at your Thanksgiving feast tells what they are thankful for this year....be sure to tell about your doctor. He sounds like a wonderful kindhearted man. Feel good.
Rosalie
Unread 11-25-2002, 06:52 PM
chemo day

Huge s Debbie

Your original surgeon sounds like a great doc. I love the way he so clearly explained your situation and has remained involved from a distance.
I hope and pray that today is a turning point for you. And that you get to hear some good news for a change.
I also want you to know that you have been quite an inspiration to all the posters and readers on Cancer Concerns. Your great strength and positive attitude always shine through in your postings!!!
Rest and take good care of yourself. And when you feel up to it, stop in and update us!!!

s karenann

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register