sleeping in bed....help? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

sleeping in bed....help? sleeping in bed....help?

Unread 11-26-2002, 07:06 AM
sleeping in bed....help?

Hey everyone. I am needing some advice...I had my TAH last Friday, and am finding it difficult to get comfortable in bed. I can only lay on my back for so long, and trying to sleep on my side makes a 'pulling' sensation in my abdomen. I read a post somewhere about a bunch of pillows on the bed?? Can any one give me some advice about sleeping in the bed....if nothing else, I will have to sleep in recliner, but that position gets real old also!!
thanks again for all the help here. This is great!!
Marcia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2002, 07:36 AM
sleeping in bed....help?

Oh I know what you mean about the pulling sensation in the belly. I kept tucking a towel around the belly area when I layed on my side to help it stay in one spot. Normally I move around alot during my sleep and I can't wait for the day I can sleep on my belly again. I have heard a lot of ladies say they slept in the recliner for comfort and they liked like. I don't have one, but I'm sure I would like it. Right now I have about 4 - 5 pillows around me at night. I get rid of one by one as I get more comfie. Hope you find a comfortable position soon and get some good rest.
Unread 11-26-2002, 08:00 AM
sleeping

HI
The first week or so is the hardest for sleeping in your bed. I had a pillow on each side of me and of course, my tummy pillow. I could move to my side if my husband pushed a pillow against my back. It gets easier!! Promise! Good luck with your recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2002, 08:26 AM
Wedge Pillow

Hi! I bought one of the foam wedge pillows orginally so I could sit up in bed. But I found it has just enough slope to help me sleep comfortably on my back (or side). I also used it between my knees when I first started sleeping on my side. I add another pillow to it during the day when I'm reading, etc. I bought it at Bed, Bath, and Beyond for $19.99.

Best wishes to you! I'm 2 weeks post-op today and I'm really feeling stronger each day!
Unread 11-26-2002, 09:14 AM
sleeping in bed

Hi Marcia,
Trying to find a comfortable position to sleep in was horrible for me, too, since I normally sleep on my stomach. One thing I found somewhat helpful was to get a body pillow and put the end between my legs (laying on my side) and then kind of wrap my arms around the top. Gave me some support for my belly to lessen that 'pulling' feeling. I think I was able to start sleeping somewhat on my belly at about four weeks. Hope it gets better soon!
Unread 11-26-2002, 09:24 AM
sleeping in the bed

Hey Marcia.

Just wanted you to know that I had the same problem for awhile. I ended up sleeping downstairs in the recliner for about 2 1/2 weeks. Although I did get bored in the recliner, it was the only way I could sleep! I missed sleeping with my DH.

Finally I was able to sleep somewhat comfortably in the bed. Pillows help also, like our sisters suggested.

I am 23 days post-op and I am getting better. I promise you will to.

Hugs,

Kim
Unread 11-26-2002, 09:49 AM
sleeping in bed....help?

I had so many pillows around me that there was hardly enough room in the bed for DH. I'd put one between my knees and one behind my back and then I'd a couple of them to give me support. Pillows seem to help alot in my case. The more the merrier to me. Hope you can find a comfotable position as we all know how important alot of is in our healing process
Unread 11-26-2002, 09:52 AM
sleeping in bed....help?

Hi, pillow definitely help. With all my surgeries I have found that a pillow in front of the tummy laying on your left side to release excess gas trapped inside you and one or two pillows against your back is a good way to fall asleep. I hope you get comfy soon. Take care...Paula
Unread 11-26-2002, 10:10 AM
Sleeping Comfortably...

Marcia ---

I had my TAH 13 days ago, but in the hospital they gave me a 'binder' (like a panti-less girdle)... but I had to ask for one. The nurses said they are usually only given to larger or obese women. I'm average size, but when the nurse brought me one and I put it on (velcro) -- it was 'ah-h-h'. I didn't feel like I was going to 'lose it'... I wore it day and night in the hospital, and same when I got home until about 4 days ago. I was able to sleep on my side, tummy.... sure, I can feel the steri-strips pull, but that added security was great. Try wearing a light weight panti girdle (not long line..) to bed. My sister who had her TAH 9 years ago, swore by them. Also, there is something similar to the binder that is sold at sports stores, for walkers... it is neoprene with velcro on the side so it is totally adjustable.

Good luck, and be comfortable!!
Unread 11-26-2002, 12:39 PM
sleeping in bed....help?

I had the same problem. My DH solved it when he found some cushions from an old couch up in the attic,we put one at the head board of the bed and then my pillows, this way it resembled the elevation of the bed at the castle. Then i found that i could sleep on my side if i put a pillow against my tummy and another one between my legs. Or put one pillow between my tummy and my hubby's back and lean on him. It is frustrating finding ways to get comfy,but it gets better.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register