More about catheter | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

More about catheter More about catheter

Unread 11-26-2002, 07:36 PM
More about catheter

I had a LAVH on 11/12. I still have the catheter. I as supposed to have it removed last week but I have not been able to void. I have the same concerns. I have posted before, but I am still anxiuos that I will not be able to void again. The Dr. told me yesterday not to clamp it for at least three more days.

I have been noticing a very strong smell of urine although I take showers frequentely. I don't think I am leaking. How could I know for sure?

Does the bladder repairs itself after the tube is taken out? Does any urine come out into the abdominal wall?

I have been feeling a stabbing pain in my bladder down below. This pain went away once I stop clamping, although sometimes I still feel it. I also feel the stitches pulling. I have three. Is this normal? There is also some newer blood around the catherer.

My temperature is sometimes 100 degrees. I noticed that my face turns red. Could this just be hot flashes? I am scared of getting a UTI. I had chronic UTI in the past (countless). - I am on vivele.dot.

One last question? What kind of underwear do you wear? I have been cutting my old ones, but I am afraid that I am running out of panties. I guess I could buy some granny panties.

Dear fellow princesses, I will pray for you. Remember me in your prayers. Thank you all of you ladies for your answers. Your dedication to this board amazes me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2002, 09:22 PM
here for you

Dear Sister,
I wish I had any answers for you. The one thing you asked for that I can do is , and I will. Remember, we are all here for you, and you have many shoulders to lean on. I hope someone can give you some information and that the gives you a positve report. I hated having the catheter for the short time that I had it, so I really feel for what you must be going through. :HUGS: Kim
TVH adenomyosis, 10-12 week "ugly boggy" uterus, numerous fibroids, beginning prolapse, kept ovaries.
Unread 11-27-2002, 04:09 AM
More about catheter

Hi La_Magica,

I had a s-p cath for just under 3 weeks post-op. My Dr. had me leave it unclamped for drainage the entire time to allow my bladder the chance to "rest" and heal. The only exceptions were when I was bladder training to test if the cath was ready to come out.

The first time my Dr. allowed me to try bladder training was when I was 9 days post-op (at my insistence, Dr. didn't think I was ready). Well, he was right. I experienced bladder spasms and my bladder just would not empty itself on it's own when I voided. So, back to unclamped until I was 17 days post-op. Tried again and it was a success. The cath was removed in my Drs. office 2 days later...had to wait until he had office hours as I did my bladder training over the weekend.

I also had 2 or 3 stitches, and I experienced that pulling sensation also. Not exactly comfortable Once the cath was removed, the hole closed right up; no leaking urine whatsoever.

I wore granny panties; I had bought them pre-op...2 sizes larger than my normal and they worked great for me.

As far as running a fever and the urine odor, it's best to keep your Dr. informed of those symptoms. I didn't experience either.

Try to be patient in the meantime. I know it's hard; I was also very anxious to have my cath removed.

Best wishes and s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register