Upcoming hysterectomy 6/25: 4 days in hospital with no visitors due to COVID, how did you cope if you went through this? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 6/25: 4 days in hospital with no visitors due to COVID, how did you cope if you went through this? Upcoming hysterectomy 6/25: 4 days in hospital with no visitors due to COVID, how did you cope if you went through this?

Unread 06-13-2020, 01:23 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 6/25: 4 days in hospital with no visitors due to COVID, how did you cope if you went through this?

I was hoping to post in the post-op forum to see how ladies have coped in the hospital without a partner or spouse with them but hopefully some peek in here! Or maybe others are also anticipating a similar situation and can offer advice.

I am scheduled for surgery (total hysterectomy, remaining ovary and fallopian tube removal) 6/25 and it is looking unlikely that visitor restrictions will be lifted any time soon. I will be dropped off and picked up. The doctor is expecting a four-day (at least) hospital stay for me.

I am expected to have a vertical abdominal incision. I am also having a bladder repair. Also, cancer has not been ruled out, so waiting until restrictions are lifted is not something my doctor is terribly comfortable with as it is a real guessing game as to when that window might open close before another possible round of covid could close things down again.

I am having a hard time with this; I had a rso for a football-sized benign ovarian tumor at 23 with an abdominal incision and it was a rough-go in the hospital.

Now, I'm more than twice the age and the thought of not having an advocate checking in *physically* has me afraid. I react poorly to anesthesia, and pain mgt has been an issue where an advocate has come in handy in the past. I know that I can facetime, but I am still a bit worried.

I go for my presurgical appointment on Monday where I will express my concern. I feel like a big baby! I know that people have been dealt much worse and probably aren't as worried.

Ladies, are you facing, or have you faced, a few days in the hospital without someone there physically? Have you btdt and can give reassurance? Advice? I was thinking of printing up a short list I could post bedside so the nurses could see my concerns if I'm not able to express myself eloquently?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2020, 03:44 PM
Re: 4-day hospital stay with no visitor allowed due to covid restrictions

Hi iodine -

You cannot post in the post-op forum until you have had your surgery. The site is designed that way to keep the concerns separate, otherwise it would become a huge mess. BUT, many post-op women do look at the pre-op posts to answer questions and lend support. So hopefully someone show has had recent surgery will see this post and respond.

Definitely go over your concerns at your pre-op. You are not being a big baby - this would make any woman uncomfortable. I have read numerous posts lately on this subject as hospitals start doing procedures again under covid restrictions. Your list sounds like a great idea as well.

Unread 06-13-2020, 08:37 PM
Re: 4-day hospital stay with no visitor allowed due to covid restrictions (how did you cope if you went through this?)

I was recently (a month and half) in the hospital for 5 days with covid protocols and no visitors allowed.

It was absolutely not an issue for me. I was able to communicate my discomfort (IV sites were getting painful, etc. with no problem).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2020, 08:58 PM
Re: 4-day hospital stay with no visitor allowed due to covid restrictions (how did you cope if you went through this?)

Hi! Super new to this forum. I'm in the middle of recovering from a radical Hysterectomy (One month in) and had to have surgery amidst the Covid19 epidemic. The best advice I received was to take a extra long charging cord for your phone and wireless headphones! My phone was my life line to my family and friends. I used Facetime a ton and helped so much just to see their faces. Bring your headphones, so you feel your conversations are private. Mentally prepare yourself to give yourself permission not to worry about anyone else but yourself. The time will go by quickly. I was in the hospital for 4 days! Take it easy and rest as much as possible.
Caroline
Unread 06-13-2020, 09:02 PM

i personally don't want anyone around me when i don't feel well. only you can speak for yourself regarding pain/management. make sure whoever you wanted to be your advocate will be with you at your pre op and available for phone consults during your hospitalization.
Unread 06-14-2020, 09:09 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 6/25: 4 days in hospital with no visitors due to COVID, how did you cope if you went through this?

I’m sorry I totally understand-

I have my surgery scheduled for the 29th and I’m freaking out too. I am having a c cestion with flap cut so he can see and evaluate everything - I will be alone to for the recovery as of now and I am so worried too -

Quote:
Originally Posted by iodine View Post
I was hoping to post in the post-op forum to see how ladies have coped in the hospital without a partner or spouse with them but hopefully some peek in here! Or maybe others are also anticipating a similar situation and can offer advice.

I am scheduled for surgery (total hysterectomy, remaining ovary and fallopian tube removal) 6/25 and it is looking unlikely that visitor restrictions will be lifted any time soon. I will be dropped off and picked up. The doctor is expecting a four-day (at least) hospital stay for me.

I am expected to have a vertical abdominal incision. I am also having a bladder repair. Also, cancer has not been ruled out, so waiting until restrictions are lifted is not something my doctor is terribly comfortable with as it is a real guessing game as to when that window might open close before another possible round of covid could close things down again.

I am having a hard time with this; I had a rso for a football-sized benign ovarian tumor at 23 with an abdominal incision and it was a rough-go in the hospital.

Now, I'm more than twice the age and the thought of not having an advocate checking in *physically* has me afraid. I react poorly to anesthesia, and pain mgt has been an issue where an advocate has come in handy in the past. I know that I can facetime, but I am still a bit worried.

I go for my presurgical appointment on Monday where I will express my concern. I feel like a big baby! I know that people have been dealt much worse and probably aren't as worried.

Ladies, are you facing, or have you faced, a few days in the hospital without someone there physically? Have you btdt and can give reassurance? Advice? I was thinking of printing up a short list I could post bedside so the nurses could see my concerns if I'm not able to express myself eloquently?

Thanks!
Unread 06-14-2020, 09:23 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 6/25: 4 days in hospital with no visitors due to COVID, how did you cope if you went through t

Do not be afraid to push that call button for the nurse. If you can, see if you can get a number to call. The call button fell off the bed once while I was there. Thankfully I didn't need it. Maybe ask if you can bring a clothespin to keep it from falling. Take things to keep yourself occupied-books, puzzle books, etc. You may not use any of them, but trapped in the hospital can be boring. Good luck!
Unread 06-14-2020, 12:43 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 6/25: 4 days in hospital with no visitors due to COVID, how did you cope if you went through t

Marestail, thanks for responding on both of my threads! Yes, it makes sense that the forums prevent presurgical folks from posting on post. I completely understand! I looked for similar questions before posting, but didn't find too many, so I appreciate the responses!

GPMS, I am so glad you had no issue with five days in hospital. Sounds like you had great nurses and pain management. I hope your recovery is going well.

Dressed up in blue, I am like you to a degree. I had some bad experiences with earlier surgeries (previous pelvic and kidney surgeries). I don't do well with anesthesia, and it really helped me to know my husband would be there during the first hours after surgery. After that, I'd probably be fine on my "own!" He won't be allowed in this time around. I will definitely talk to to the anesthesiologist.

Julie, I am so sorry you are scared, too. I keep thinking that it will just be a few days and then I'll be back in the comfort of home. I've had abdominal surgery before, and the hints that I read on this site are really very good. We can do this!!! I will try to update and let you know how it went for me because your surgery is right after mine and maybe I can give you some reassurance afterward.

Caroline, it is heartening to hear that you did just fine. I hope your recovery continues to go well. I will definitely take your advice and get an extra long charging cord and make sure I have earphones! Very good hints! Being able to focus just on myself will be a good thing, so thanks for sharing that. I will miss my husband and kids, but it will be nice to focus on myself a bit.

Harlene, what great advice! I am putting clothespins on my "list" and getting the nursing station phone number is honestly something I would not have considered. Genius!

I will look most forward to the chance to take a shower. I hope I don't have to wait too long for that!
Unread 06-14-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iodine View Post
I will look most forward to the chance to take a shower. I hope I don't have to wait too long for that!
I had a 3 1/2 day stay at the hospital with my TAH BSO. I was able to take a shower on the 2nd day after my surgery. They set up a shower chair and were right there to assist if I needed. It was short by necessity but if felt wonderful.

Unread 06-14-2020, 05:32 PM

Good to know! Thanks Marestail!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register