TAH procedure revealed Ovarian Cancer! What next? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH procedure revealed Ovarian Cancer!  What next? TAH procedure revealed Ovarian Cancer! What next?

Unread 07-02-2020, 05:20 AM
TAH procedure revealed Ovarian Cancer! What next?

At now 4 weeks since my TAH, I was celebrating my overall recovery going mostly as expected, and then the floor fell out from under me! My surgeon received the path report back from Hopkins, which revealed that I minimally had OVARIAN CANCER- and didn't even know it! The ovarian tumor that prompted the urgency for my TAH grew fast (presumably within a year based on MRI comparisons); and likely mimicked so much of my endometriosis and fibroid issues of unexplained pain and bleeding. I now have to undergo further assessments; including, CT of chest, abdomen, pelvis; and an endoscopy & colonoscopy to determine if there is any more cancer in my body and from where else it may have originated if not at the ovary. Not sure how this affects my continued recovery and procedural comfort in the weeks ahead, but everything has to happen quickly enough for the best guidance from here...Still, it's now holiday/vacation time for so many Doctors, so scheduling has been challenging so far.. Think I am still processing all of this new information since hearing the news couple days ago, but my emotions are ranging from sadness, to gratitude, to relief, to fear, to overwhelm to longing for a release from any health issues for a change. I know mindset matters and I am usually a positive person, so I am trying to focus on all of the next steps and remaining hopeful overall. While I wish this on no one, wondering if anyone has received similar news before or had to address the cancer discovery process [especially concurrent to TAH] before? I thought still having endometriosis left behind and a no-estrogen menopause were my biggest challenges ahead, but apparently my next 'test of strength' has introduced another illness for my life journey. This will be a whole new chapter for me... appreciate your support!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2020, 09:18 AM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jun 01-Jun 07,2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayzelle Rhi View Post
At now 4 weeks since my TAH, I was celebrating my overall recovery going mostly as expected, and then the floor fell out from under me! My surgeon received the path report back from Hopkins, which revealed that I minimally had OVARIAN CANCER- and didn't even know it! The ovarian tumor that prompted the urgency for my TAH grew fast (presumably within a year based on MRI comparisons); and likely mimicked so much of my endometriosis and fibroid issues of unexplained pain and bleeding. I now have to undergo further assessments; including, CT of chest, abdomen, pelvis; and an endoscopy & colonoscopy to determine if there is any more cancer in my body and from where else it may have originated if not at the ovary. Not sure how this affects my continued recovery and procedural comfort in the weeks ahead, but everything has to happen quickly enough for the best guidance from here...Still, it's now holiday/vacation time for so many Doctors, so scheduling has been challenging so far.. Think I am still processing all of this new information since hearing the news couple days ago, but my emotions are ranging from sadness, to gratitude, to relief, to fear, to overwhelm to longing for a release from any health issues for a change. I know mindset matters and I am usually a positive person, so I am trying to focus on all of the next steps and remaining hopeful overall. While I wish this on no one, wondering if anyone has received similar news before or had to address the cancer discovery process [especially concurrent to TAH] before? I thought still having endometriosis left behind and a no-estrogen menopause were my biggest challenges ahead, but apparently my next 'test of strength' has introduced another illness for my life journey. This will be a whole new chapter for me... appreciate your support!

(((Hayzelle Rhi)))

I'm so very sorry you've received this diagnosis. It's always a shock to the system but even more so when it's out of the blue. A good piece of advice is to try not to let your mind get too far ahead of things, since it pretty much always races to the darkest side.The additional testing being ordered is pretty much routine protocol and will provide information regarding your treatment from here. You'll actually feel a bit "better" once you have your new team and a plan in place. On that front, be sure to write down any questions or concerns you might have and take someone else with you for appointments, if possible (another set of ears). Oh, and be sure to get copies of all your path reports, scans, etc., so you'll have them for your own reference. As far as your current recovery process, it doesn't differ all that much between those who've had a cancer related surgery or for other issues. So, hopefully, that part of things will continue to go well for you.

You certainly aren't alone in all of this. I know it feels like your world has turned upside down, but you are stronger than you know and absolutely CAN do this. Remember, one step at a time.

Unread 07-07-2020, 09:49 AM
Re: TAH procedure revealed Ovarian Cancer! What next?

I'm not quite in the same boat, but similar. I had an endometrial tumor that pathology showed to be 3C1. I had so hoped the hysterectomy would be all I needed. Instead, I found out that tumor was not detected early, and the cancer had spread to my left fallopian tube, both ovaries--in fact, the right ovary had become nothing but tumor--was travelling to my cervix, was in several lymph nodes, and the pelvic wash had cancer cells.

Kind of a worse case scenario! I am halfway done with chemo (through 3, 3 left). They want to do radiation, both external and brachy, but I'm not doing either.

I share my news and diagnosis to assure you that as the news comes in, it is overwhelming, but it will become part of what you tackle on your journey. It's also a scary time to need such intense healthcare. But keep reminding yourself that the doctors you have are knowledgeable, you have the power to research, be optimistic, surround yourself with a great support team.

Try to breathe. Don't get ahead of the diagnosis. Remember that every person is individual, and stats don't tell you everything about your cancer. I wish you love and light on your healing journey. Prayers for you will be going up!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2020, 10:00 PM

I was having some issues and I went in for a simple procedure and it revealed I had cervical cancer. Like you, the world fell out from under me and I had all the same tests in my future including a radical abdominal hysterectomy. I had 2 small children and went on like I was a robot. Thankfully my cancer was early and did not spread and now, almost 2 years later I am still healthy. Do what u need to do to stay positive and get through the next couple of weeks. You are stronger than u thought you were and will make it through this. Sometimes I feel like the mental aspect of cancer is way worse than the physical. All the love and prayers sent your way! You got this and u have an entire group of women here to support you!
Unread 07-11-2020, 07:18 PM

Hi, I can relate to your surprise, I got one, too - TAH due to fibroids & excessive bleeding, 2 weeks later got word pathology found endometriod carcinoma in uterus, both ovaries & one Fallopian tube. Since the surgeon didn't realize there was cancer, didn't do the washout or exam lymph, etc, so they wanted to do another surgery for that - I stalled a bit, then had the 2nd surgery which didn't find any more cancer. Then they wanted me to do 6 rounds of Taxol & carboplatin, and I stalled some more - got some alternative things like Vitamin C IV's to go along with chemo, got through it pretty well - and broke my toe, and my arm, separate times - crazy year, but I got through it! You will too (((hugs)))
Unread 07-24-2020, 04:08 AM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jun 01-Jun 07,2020

Thanks so much for the sound advice, Monami. Thankfully, the CT scan and Endoscopy & Colonoscopy came back clear, so I am relieved for that. Looks like I will have to do a Laporoscopy though and perhaps chemo next at some point within the next month. All of this is so tough during COVID, and I often have to face appointments, tests and surgery alone due to the current pandemic.

Thanks for reminding me to prepare for each appointment and to pace myself in this new chapter. Will see where this goes.
Unread 07-24-2020, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Wun View Post
I'm not quite in the same boat, but similar. I had an endometrial tumor that pathology showed to be 3C1. I had so hoped the hysterectomy would be all I needed. Instead, I found out that tumor was not detected early, and the cancer had spread to my left fallopian tube, both ovaries--in fact, the right ovary had become nothing but tumor--was travelling to my cervix, was in several lymph nodes, and the pelvic wash had cancer cells.

Kind of a worse case scenario! I am halfway done with chemo (through 3, 3 left). They want to do radiation, both external and brachy, but I'm not doing either.

I share my news and diagnosis to assure you that as the news comes in, it is overwhelming, but it will become part of what you tackle on your journey. It's also a scary time to need such intense healthcare. But keep reminding yourself that the doctors you have are knowledgeable, you have the power to research, be optimistic, surround yourself with a great support team.

Try to breathe. Don't get ahead of the diagnosis. Remember that every person is individual, and stats don't tell you everything about your cancer. I wish you love and light on your healing journey. Prayers for you will be going up!!

Wow, Susie Wun, I am so sorry for your experience as well, yet so inspired by your resilience! It's hard not to get ahead of the diagnosis, especially since the staging period has moved so slowly (partly due to COVID, 4th of July holiday) and I am so anxious to know exactly what I am up against. CHEMO is such a challenging decision to wrap my head around also-- how did you arrive at your decision to do it vs something else? And how are you feeling at the half-way mark (likely finished now as it's taken me some time to respond) or finish line? Thanks for the prayers, well wishes and the reminder to breathe-- so easy to forget under pressure.

Best wishes for your continued improved health.
Unread 07-24-2020, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbprada View Post
I was having some issues and I went in for a simple procedure and it revealed I had cervical cancer. Like you, the world fell out from under me and I had all the same tests in my future including a radical abdominal hysterectomy. I had 2 small children and went on like I was a robot. Thankfully my cancer was early and did not spread and now, almost 2 years later I am still healthy. Do what u need to do to stay positive and get through the next couple of weeks. You are stronger than u thought you were and will make it through this. Sometimes I feel like the mental aspect of cancer is way worse than the physical. All the love and prayers sent your way! You got this and u have an entire group of women here to support you!
Thank you Lbprada! I am thankful too that your cancer was early without spreading and so relieved to hear about your good health years after this nightmare. Indeed the mental aspect takes its toll. The word CANCER is so alarming to me, but I know that we know so much more about it now to promote optimal recovery and better health. Appreciate your prayers and woman warrior encouragement!
Unread 07-24-2020, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodud93 View Post
Hi, I can relate to your surprise, I got one, too - TAH due to fibroids & excessive bleeding, 2 weeks later got word pathology found endometriod carcinoma in uterus, both ovaries & one Fallopian tube. Since the surgeon didn't realize there was cancer, didn't do the washout or exam lymph, etc, so they wanted to do another surgery for that - I stalled a bit, then had the 2nd surgery which didn't find any more cancer. Then they wanted me to do 6 rounds of Taxol & carboplatin, and I stalled some more - got some alternative things like Vitamin C IV's to go along with chemo, got through it pretty well - and broke my toe, and my arm, separate times - crazy year, but I got through it! You will too (((hugs)))
These are the surprises we can do without, right?! On the brighter side, I hope these surprises allowed for early detection and the best options for treatment and care.. I am still in staging phase at almost 7 weeks after my TAH surgery, so quite anxious to understand exactly what I am dealing with, but also praying that all that's been done removed all that was there (so far the CT Scan and Endoscopy & Colonoscopy suggest this, so relieved!). My surgeon also did not observe/assume any cancer (despite an MRI indicating the tumor needed to be assessed for malignancy or benign condition..), so I too now have to do a Laoproscopy sometime in the next 30 days, and perhaps chemo as well. Another surgery is quite deflating after a TAH, especially during the COVID pandemic. Thanks for sharing about the Vit C IV's to support the chemo experience-- will look into this. There's still so much to know, and quickly... I'm encouraged that you got through that crazy year- breaks and all- and may you have continued well wishes in good health going forward.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register