procrit and aspirin? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

procrit  and aspirin? procrit and aspirin?

Unread 12-01-2002, 08:40 AM
procrit and aspirin?

My pre chemo blood test showed I was anemic and I can tell it has worsened a bit. Usually when I run with the dog, he gets breathless before me, but today I went to get out to get the mail, started to walk fast because it was cold and I couldn't believe how out of breath and dizzy I got. I am supposed to have a blood test on Thursday and a procrit injection if my insurance approves it. Has anyone had any experience with procrit? Do most insurance company's approve it? I have had ferrous sulfate iron pills in the cupboard, but don't take them because they cause terrible constipation and I fear they may cause another blockgage. Constipation or diarrea with a colostomy is awful. At least, being a "bag lady" means I don' have to make sudden bathroom trips! And I have learned to pit my hand over my stomach and cough when things get noisy!
While I was having my chemo I flipped thru a cancer magazine and read an article that said studies have shown that aspirin and a medicine called celebrex, in conjunction wirh chemo seems to help the chemo work better. Unfortunately I don't have the magazine to re read it. Has anyone heard this?
My apetite is OK, but my sense of tase is gone. I can tell texture of food, but if blind folded wouldn't know if I was eating Grapents or Friskies! My taste for life is strong and I attribute that to the strenght I am drawing from prayer, friends, especially my sisters on this board. I think prayer and support from others infuses strenght and hope into us, just as the IV infuses drip by drip the drugs that will help us fight the beast. Only prayer and frineds have only wonderful side effects.
My friend buzzed my hair on Thanksgiving and when I looked in the mirror I was brought to tears of joy, because I saw my Father staring back at me.Her went bald in his early 30's and now I look just like him! He died suddenly on Dec 21, 1999 and I miss him terribly. Now I really feel His presence and that wonderful connection that life or death can't break!
In the house I am wearing my ski beanie. The ski season usually lasts thru April in Calif, so I hope to get in some spring skiing. When I go out I a wearing the bandana our group wore for ID purposes when went to Rome in 2000 to see the Pope for World Youth Day. It brings back good memories not just for me, but for the other youth and adults who went on the pilgrimage.

Debbie
Squamos cell cancer pelvic, small intestine, pharynx
pelvic exenteration with temporary colostomy 8/7( so they said )
intestinal resection 9/25
Taxol/ Cisplatin/ ifosfamide begun 11/25
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2002, 11:27 AM
procrit and aspirin?

s Debbie

You sure brought home an interesting point to me in your posting. My dad died suddenly in January of 2001. I was found to have ovarian masses in April of 2001. My dad and I were very close and oh, how much I missed him. I still do. He had a way of sending strength to me with just a few of his words of wisdom. At any rate, my dad went bald in his early 20's. I too like you, had no problem with my baldness and getting my head shaved. I think you just told me why!!! It really brought me closer to my dad.

I just asked my onc about celebrex and aspirin on my last visit the end of November. So much is being written about celebrex and vioxx. They are considered Cox2 inhibitors and apparently Cox2 is over expressed in some cancers including ovarian. Some studies therefore say that taking a Cox2 inhibitors would help with treatment or prevention. My own onc said no to my request to take this medicine. His reason being that the long term effect on kidneys and liver is not known. This doc does tend to be conservative. At the current time I am following his advice. He did recommend an aspirin a day.
Studies have also shown that a daily aspirin can prevent some cancers.
However, in your case being currently on chemo, don't take an aspirin a day.
Aspirin can already reduce a platelet count. And you are most likely having lowered platelets from the chemo.

I did not need procrit myself, but several others here have used it. They'll be along. Ask your doc if you should be taking the iron. You may have to do some trial and error to find out how to ward off constipation. I did use iron supplements throughout chemo. Along with stool softeners and a laxatives around the chemo time. I'm glad to see you finding the upsides of being a bag lady. (not running to the bathroom) YOu are truly precious!!!!!

s karenann
Unread 12-01-2002, 01:19 PM
Procrit and Aspirin

Karenann is right about aspirin and platelets. Do you have a port? If you do, are you taking coumadin? I take 1 mg. a day per my oncologist to help prevent clotting at the port. So I am very careful and only use tylenol for pain. As for Procrit, I didn't have it. Instead, I opted for blood transfusions as needed. I needed them twice last year with taxol/carbo and once already this year with carbo (and anticipate I'll need one this month). I was taking 150 mg. of iron that dissolves in the intestines twice a day last year (I had to take that kind as I take very strong antacids for hiatal hernia and eroded esophagus) and still needed the blood. I did not have a constipation problem with the iron. (Maybe I'd have less intestinal problems this time if I were on the iron.) ARe you staying with bandannas, etc. or getting a wig? For most of the time I had a short style wig (I always have had short hair) in a deeper brown and gray combo that everyone raved over and said I looked younger and couldn't tell. Later I got a black/gray one to match my natural color a bit longer and that one was also non-wiggy. Around the house, went topless or wore scarves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2002, 07:32 PM
procrit and aspirin?

I had Procrit and had no problems at all with it. The insurance (and Medicare) require the blood counts to be a certain level before they pay for it. Mine were low enough, but I wasn't immobile or anything. Just some shortness of breath like you described. I had daily injections for a week and it worked very well for me. I highly recommend it! Best wishes to you for a good recovery.
Unread 12-02-2002, 08:02 PM
procrit and aspirin?

Hiya Debbie!

I wasn't taking either during my treatments but have been taking Celebrex for the last year or so. I remember during the treatments themselves the Dr's asked me not to take anything but Tylenol so this is really interesting.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that all the information I've seen so far says that with the Celebrex you aren't supposed to take aspirin. ??? I'd be curious to hear more on this.

Its strange looking in the mirror and seeing one of your parents, isn't it? When my hair first started growing again and was still fairly short, I looked so much like my mom it was spooky.

It certainly sounds like you've got the right attitude. You go girl!!! Keep up the fight and stay strong!!!

{{hugs}}

Vicki

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register