Excitement, fear, anticapation, anxiety,crying | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Excitement, fear, anticapation, anxiety,crying Excitement, fear, anticapation, anxiety,crying

Unread 12-01-2002, 10:09 AM
Excitement, fear, anticapation, anxiety,crying

Well, that just about covers it. I am excited about my surgery tomorrow but scared as you know what. Anxious about the side effects of the general anethisia - I don't want to throw up. LOL - like that is my big concern right now.

Went to church and gave my name to the prayer group - and lo and behold, I ended up crying about surgery tomorrow. I really haven't done any serious crying or anxiety attacks about this before. and right now I am feeling pretty good about everything.

But I know this is the calm before the storm - I will probably be back on here tonight posting away -with really silly questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2002, 10:16 AM
Right there with you sister

I am having my surgery a week after you, so I really do know what you are going through... I will say a for you.... You will do just fine and all the sisters will be here for you....
Unread 12-01-2002, 10:23 AM

Sandy, I'll be right there with you tomorrow. I have to be at the hospital at 11:15 for my surgery at 1:15. It will be hard getting through the morning. Good luck. See you on the boards soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2002, 10:24 AM

Hi Sandy,

Your post perfectly describes me right now---a whole mess of emotions. I go into the castle the day after you and I don't know what I'm feeling. I'm terrified, but there's a part of me that's looking forward to getting this over with. I anticipate a lot of crying tomorrow when I say goodbye to my coworkers at the end of the day.

I know that we'll get through this, and my prayers will be with you tomorrow. I'll see you on the other side.

Gayle
Unread 12-01-2002, 10:26 AM

Hi Sandy!

It's only normal to feel the way you do. We'll all be

for you! Just think soon it will be all over and you'll be home again.

I'll be ing for you!
Unread 12-01-2002, 01:07 PM

Hi LIW's

Your big day is almost here. I remember only too well how nervous and scared I was those final hours before going to the Castle. I let my surgeon and "A" man know how scared I was and they and the OR support staff were just wonderful.

Just a few little tips that I remember:

They let DH stay with me the entire time in the OR holding area. That helped tremendously. He rubbed my back and said positive, soothing words to me.

Before they insert your IV, ask them to numb the area with a little local anesthestic. Made the IV going in a whole lot easier on me---all I felt was some pressure.

I was so dry-mouthed while I was lying there waiting in the OR holding area. (Nothing to eat or drink after midnight). They gave me a little citrus flavored cotton "lollipop" to suck on.

About the nausea from anesthesia---I was really worried about that too and asked my "A" man about it. He told me he would give me a wonderful anti-nausea drug called Zofran. I had NO nausea whatsoever afterwards. I also told him how nervous and scared I was and he said "Don't worry, I'm going to give you a nice little shot of something in your I.V. and you are going to feel like you've had a few margaritas"! The next thing I knew I was being wheeled into the OR---(they had Bob Seger playing in there on the stereo) I told my Dr. "let's rock and roll" and the next thing I knew after that I was waking up in recovery. It was over and behind me and what a relief! I know we hear and say this over and over---but the waiting truly is the hardest part.

Ladies, you will all be in my thoughts and prayers as you go in for your surgeries. Here's to uneventful surgeries and recoveries. When you get home from the Castle and feel up to it, send a little post and let us know how you are doing. See you on the "better side".

's and Blessings,
Unread 12-01-2002, 02:46 PM

!!!

I am right behind you (by 1 week). I keep thinking I'm fairly under control, then I read your post and my legs turn to jello!!

I'll be for you and all the other LIW. Just think...soon you'll be all over with this waiting! Good luck tomorrow and let us all know how you make out!

Debbie
Unread 12-01-2002, 03:13 PM

Hi, this week's ladies in waiting!
I wish I could take away your anxiety, but believe me when I tell you it is the worst part, the waiting and not knowing and imagining and worrying....
I was exactly where you are last week at this time, I had my LAVH/BSO on Wed (day before Thanksgiving). I came home on Thanksgiving afternoon. Everything has gone so well. I, too, was slightly obsessive about the throwing up part and I did twice, but was completely better afterward. I remember thinking well, the worst thing I worried about has happened and I'm fine! Couldn't wait to lose the catheter the next morning, had gas pains, yes, but it was all managable and no worse than the pain of cramps. Here's hoping and praying that your doctors and nurses are as helpful and caring as mine and that you'll be sitting at your computers next Sunday evening reassuring that week's LIW that they, too, will be fine.

Take good care of yourselves!

Tammy

LAVH/BSO 11/27/02 for simple hyperplasia with atypia, ovarian cyst, 7 weeks of nonstop (in fact, escalating!) bleeding, awaiting path report.
Unread 12-01-2002, 03:24 PM
It will all be alright.....I promise!

I know how it is to be a .....it was scary, exciting, worrisome....and everything else that has been listed before. I am now a newly crowned . I have my good days and then I have my not so good days. I made sure to tell my anesthesiologist about my nausea and vomiting problem after being put out and he gave me the appropriate medicines through iv. I then woke up and told them that I didn't feel well and they kept going with the anti-nausea meds. The last thing they want you to be doing is vomiting. Don't be afraid to tell everyone all of your fears and anxieties. I also told my nurse when my gas pains were painful and she gave me a suppository and it worked like a charm. There is no reason to be in pain in the hospital. They have cool stuff to make you comfortable. I have done pretty well on my recovery....bored a lot, but that's to be expected. I am 16 days post op and am doing great. I am still not lifting. I did go to Walmart with the family yesterday and walked for about an hour...that was a lot. I came home put my feet up and took some ibuprofen. I just had to get out. I have been folding laundry and just started driving again. Time does fly by ladies, so don't worry. Just be sure that your doctor and his staff know your fears. They will do as much for you as they can. Good Luck ladies.....the waiting is the hardest part!!!
I will be for all of you!

Brandi
Unread 12-01-2002, 05:55 PM
Re: Excited, scared...

I can relate to what everyone is feeling. Yesterday I sat in a chair and cried over the lysol commercial.. ya know the one, where the little boy dropped his car into the trash can and dad was "saving" it for him. Youd think that after seeing that commercial OVER and OVER Id get the hint to change the channel but I didnt.

I did call my mom and ask for one antidepressant which worked like a charm. I feel much better today (denial?) and have not cried for hours upon end like yesterday.

Today I was able to workout for 20 minutes and try to visualize the "good stuff" entering and the "bad stuff" being sucked out. LOL I hope it works.

I have my pre op appt on Tues. and I have no idea what to expect nor how long everything will take.

I am scared. I am glad to get this over w/. I wish I could have the kind of care that I know I will need when I return home. I cant ask... SO has the financial burden of supporting us til I return to work ( 2 months from the 4th). I know I will need more than someone coming in to check on me every hour...people do forget or choose otherwise not to help out...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register