gross ..ummm... discharge | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

gross ..ummm... discharge gross ..ummm... discharge

Unread 12-01-2002, 11:42 AM
gross ..ummm... discharge

I am 'uncomfortable' now and am having white cheesy looking discharge . The discomfort is from the vag area and it gets to the point in the evening I can't sit :cry:. It doesn't hurt... it is just very uncomfortable... abnormal feeling. It feels like something needs to come out.. does this make any sense?

I'm going to call my Gyne to see if I should go in and get it checked. He's 1 1/2 hrs away but my family dr is in town.

Anyone else have this?

Bea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2002, 12:42 PM

Maybe it's a yeast infection? I've never had one, but I understand that a cheesy discharge can be a sign of a yeast infection.
Unread 12-01-2002, 12:47 PM

Whatever it may be I would ask your gyn if you need to drive that far or if you can go to your family dr. If it is a certain type of infection they need to do a culture to find out what type of antibitoics will work best. It could be healing to but you never know so it's best to go in and get it checked. Don't go treating it like a yeast infection on your own without gyn's approval since you are early post op and you have stitches up there where the cervix used to be. The rule is nothing in the vagina until dr. ok's it. Feel better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2002, 10:45 AM
just returned from family dr's office

She confirmed I have a yeast infection and another one (I can't recall the name of it). She did swabs for testing to be sure and put me on a vaginal cream antibiotic/anti fungal.

It seems to be one thing after another but I'm here.

Thank you ladies!
Bea
Unread 12-02-2002, 12:19 PM

Hi Bea I'm sorry you have had to add the discomfort of a yeast infection to the usual post op stuff. That cheesy discharge is a dead giveaway, but I'm very glad your DR did a quick culture to make sure. Especially when you're early post op, you don't want to treat yourself for something and think you're getting better only to find out later that you were treating the wrong thing and end up with an even worse problem. I had to take lots of antibiotics during my early post op period and ended up with three yeast infections in a row back then.

Antibiotics are one of the main reasons many post op es get yeast infections. The antibiotics do a great job killing off the "bad" bacteria that are causing other infections, but they are indiscriminate in their action; that is, they also kill of the "good" or "helpful" bacteria that live in both the vagina and intestinal tract. In the vagina, the "good" bacteria normally keep the naturally present yeasts under control. In the intestines, they help with digestion and in particular absorption of water from the stools by the walls of the intestines. When those good bacteria are eliminated, the result is that many of us end up with a yeast infection (since there's now nothing in the vagina to keep the yeastie beasties in check) and watery stools or diarrhea (same deal in the digestive tract).

Antifungal agents are used to treat the yeast infection, and this will cut back the population of the yeasts. There are several types of treatments. Often newly post op ladies are given oral diflucan to avoid having to put anything into the vagina. This is a single dose pill and it can be very effective as long as you don't take it too often. Then there are the creams like the Monistat family. Those are not all alike; if you look at the ingredients the active ingredients vary. When repeated yeast infections are a problem, it's important to vary which active ingredient you use to treat it, otherwise you end up with a raging infection from now-resistant yeasts.

Once the infection has been treated, there are things you can do to reduce the chance of getting another one. One of these is to limit your intake of sugar, which is one of the yeasts' favorite sources of food. This is why the use of sugary foods in or near the vagina as part of lovemaking is NOT a good idea.

Another thing you can do is to replace the "good" bacteria in the vagina and intestinal tract. The easiest way to do this is to take some type of probiotic, such as Probiotica or AZO Yeast (available at regular drug and discount stores) or acidophilus capsules (at health food and drug stores) or any type of probiotic from the health food store (some are capsules, some are liquids that you drink). Eating plenty of yogurt (the kind that says "with live active cultures" on the label) will also work. Both of these things are great as preventives even if you haven't had a yeast infection. Since those three early yeast infections, I have taken some type of probiotic every day, and have not had another outbreak.

If your DR recommends it, it is also possible to put plain (unflavored, unsweeted of course) yogurt in the vagina directly. And some DRs will suggest douching with vinegar and water to restore the proper pH to the vagina, but PLEASE don't do this without your DR's OK.

I hope this helps... many of us get yeast infections post op, and they can be very uncomfortable, but they can also be treated and even prevented.
s,
-Linda
Unread 12-02-2002, 12:30 PM
Thank you Linda!

I have never had a yeast infection before and am very glad about that! hehehe

I'm glad it will be all gone soon

Bea
Unread 12-02-2002, 02:50 PM
Yeast infection

Yep am in the same boat as you - didn't know I had got yeast infection until I had a hematoma and they took some swabs as routine. Doc rang to tell me I had infection. Still have symptoms after treatment and pain in vagina now. Hope you get it cleared up soon and continue to recover, love from mobsy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register