Radiation treatments | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Radiation treatments Radiation treatments

Unread 09-12-2020, 05:31 PM
Radiation treatments

Just wondering if anyone has had radiation after the complete hysterectomy?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2020, 12:19 PM
Radiation treatments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artishayes View Post
Just wondering if anyone has had radiation after the complete hysterectomy?

Thanks.
I had external beam pelvic radiation after hysterectomy and chemo for endometrial cancer. Are you having similar?
Unread 09-15-2020, 12:06 PM
Re: Radiation treatments

I didn't have chemo/rads but do know that ladies often report the experience not to be as "bad" as they'd anticipated. Fingers crossed this is the case for you as well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2020, 12:40 PM
Radiation treatments

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPizza View Post
I had external beam pelvic radiation after hysterectomy and chemo for endometrial cancer. Are you having similar?
HI Lisa,
I’m not supposed to have any chemo, just radiation. How did you do with the radiation?

Artis
Unread 09-15-2020, 12:41 PM
Radiation treatments

Quote:
Originally Posted by monami View Post
I didn't have chemo/rads but do know that ladies often report the experience not to be as "bad" as they'd anticipated. Fingers crossed this is the case for you as well!
Thanks for the encouragement!!
Unread 09-16-2020, 10:12 AM

Artishayes:
I had 25 external radiation treatments (beginning June 29) and 3 brachytherapy treatments after my hysterectomy due to endometrial cancer. There is no pain involved with the external treatments but I did suffer 3 bouts of diarrhea with stomach cramping (kind of like having lower intestinal flu). The first episode took place after about 2 wks of treatments (I attributed it to eating pizza for dinner on Friday night) and didn't eat much the rest of the weekend. The next one was less severe (I started eating a blander diet) and was about a week later. The 3rd one was more of an ongoing situation but not as severe as the first two but it lasted for the next several days. I didn't experience the fatigue that I had heard about but I didn't have a lot of desire to do much. (might be due to covid - not willing to take chances of being exposed at this point in my treatments). I am pretty much back to normal now. Doing yard work and starting my fall house cleaning. Just taking more frequent breaks trying to get my stamina back to what it was before all this happened. Hang in there...best of luck that you have a good outcome.
lkoz
Unread 09-18-2020, 03:22 PM

Hi Artishayes

I had 35 sessions of external radiation, with concurrent low-dose chemo. I found the treatment was hard going, but perhaps if I’d had one treatment at a time it may have been easier.

Many of the people having only radiotherapy seemed to cope very well, in fact some of them went to work every day. But, not everyone was having pelvic radiotherapy which often causes stomach and/or Bowel upsets. If you suffer these, you will be given effective meds to deal with this.

The treatment is very quick, totally painless and just gets tedious after a while.

During the first week I had to insert a rectal liquid immediately prior to the radiotherapy session, and prior to every session I had to drink 3 small bottles of water. This helps to isolate the bladder in an effort to avoid damage.

Once you’ve had a few treatments, they will become just an everyday part of life.

Good luck and keep in touch!

Unread 09-18-2020, 06:59 PM
Radiation treatments

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkoz View Post
Artishayes:
I had 25 external radiation treatments (beginning June 29) and 3 brachytherapy treatments after my hysterectomy due to endometrial cancer. There is no pain involved with the external treatments but I did suffer 3 bouts of diarrhea with stomach cramping (kind of like having lower intestinal flu). The first episode took place after about 2 wks of treatments (I attributed it to eating pizza for dinner on Friday night) and didn't eat much the rest of the weekend. The next one was less severe (I started eating a blander diet) and was about a week later. The 3rd one was more of an ongoing situation but not as severe as the first two but it lasted for the next several days. I didn't experience the fatigue that I had heard about but I didn't have a lot of desire to do much. (might be due to covid - not willing to take chances of being exposed at this point in my treatments). I am pretty much back to normal now. Doing yard work and starting my fall house cleaning. Just taking more frequent breaks trying to get my stamina back to what it was before all this happened. Hang in there...best of luck that you have a good outcome.
lkoz
Thanks for sharing your experience. It helps to know what to ask and what to expect.
Unread 09-18-2020, 07:02 PM
Radiation treatments

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethUK View Post
Hi Artishayes

I had 35 sessions of external radiation, with concurrent low-dose chemo. I found the treatment was hard going, but perhaps if I’d had one treatment at a time it may have been easier.

Many of the people having only radiotherapy seemed to cope very well, in fact some of them went to work every day. But, not everyone was having pelvic radiotherapy which often causes stomach and/or Bowel upsets. If you suffer these, you will be given effective meds to deal with this.

The treatment is very quick, totally painless and just gets tedious after a while.

During the first week I had to insert a rectal liquid immediately prior to the radiotherapy session, and prior to every session I had to drink 3 small bottles of water. This helps to isolate the bladder in an effort to avoid damage.

Once you’ve had a few treatments, they will become just an everyday part of life.

Good luck and keep in touch!

Thanks so much for the info. It really helps to be prepared for what might be coming.
Unread 09-28-2020, 07:00 AM

Hi, there! Just thought I'd add a brief response about my experience. I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer in 2014. Had a radical hysterectomy followed by 3 brachytherapy treatments. Fast forward to 2020, I had a recurrence (mass in my abdomen). More surgery followed by 25 external radiation treatments, which I just finished last week. (Yay!) I had no side effects with the brachytherapy, but external was different. Had several bouts of diarrhea, and nausea. Plus exhaustion. My medical team gave me meds to deal with these issues. Most of the side effects seem to have gone away except for the tiredness. Overall, it wasn't too bad. I'm thankful I didn't need chemo!

God bless you as you face treatment. You will come through it and live to tell the story!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register