Date Set and Now Scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Date Set and Now Scared Date Set and Now Scared

Unread 12-03-2002, 04:54 PM
Date Set and Now Scared

My date got set yesterday .. they are giving me about week to prepare for this .... and now the "omgosh i am soooooo freakin scared's" are settin in.... i am thinking of every possible scenerio .. one of which sounds like not a very big one .. but to someone that has jus recently lost 130lbs ... i am scared to death that this surgery is going to make me gain my weight back.... has anyone gained weight from this surgery?? ...
The other thing that is bothering me .. is the hospital .. nurses and my doc all have "enema" fetishes i swear ..... i think i have heard that word at least 30 times in the last two days ... is this really a necessary procedure? .. i know not much about the procedure i am about to have .. i thought i knew alot .. but the closer it gets .. the more i feel like i DONT Know!!
One minute i am "lets get er done" .. the next i am crying "i dont wanna do this anymore"
I am also having a breast biopsy at the same time .. worry that the one surgery is enuff.. and maybe i need to wait on the other one .....but heck .. do i wanna do the whole go to sleep thing again ... ?
GEESH .. i feel like i am losing it here .. i am sure i am not any different than anyone else that has been thru this .. maybe ya'll have some really helpful suggestions to get me to and thru "THE" day !!!!!!
Anything anyone has to offer would be much much appreciated !!!!!!!

Thank You and God Bless and Take Care !!!!!!!!!!!!

Janelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2002, 05:14 PM
Date Set and Now Scared

you need to relax. I didn't have to much time to prepare, told me wed. that it was set for mon. in pre-op they told me to drink this awful tasting stuff but it totally cleans out your bowels. I was most scared of them putting me under. All I know was the guy was talking to me while wheeling me in and then I am waking up a little sore. been home a week, and hardly need medicine. so just take it easy,
Unread 12-03-2002, 05:18 PM
Date Set and Now Scared

Big Hugs to you, Janelle,

What you are feeling is so normal. I remember that one minute of feeling strong about surgery and the next finding myself in sheer panic. Anticipating surgery is a very anxious time and the mind races with a thousand thoughts. I suggest writing down a list of anything that comes to mind and then running a search on each question. I would be grateful that you only have a week to wait because some of us have had to wait a month or more and it seems the longer you wait the harder it is. I can tell you that I waited a month for surgery and allowed myself to imagine all sorts of scary things. The good news is that it was much easier than I had imagined in my head. Yes, there is pain and recovery is long and a bit boring, but the surgery is very do-able. The pain is managed with meds and most of us didn't the medication that long. I have gained 7 lbs since my surgery 6 months ago and I am not sure if it is due to being on hormone replacement or not. I do believe that sitting around and being a good princess did cause me to gain some and then there was the refrigerator so close by.... I would not expect to gain that much and you can eventually walk etc. when you feel better and get doc's permission. I also think that having the biopsy along with the hyst is a good idea so that you only have one event to face.
Today, Janelle, I have no regrets and am happy to be period free. Please remember sweetie that this is a major surgery and it does take some time to heal. You will need to move through it gently and dig deep for patience, but your freedom day will come.

Please feel free to join us in chat anytime.

Warm Wishes,

Lynn/Cappy in Chat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2002, 05:20 PM
Hello

Hi,

I understand your fear of gaining your weight back. In the last 11 months I have lost 110 pounds. When I first got sick I had to stop all my exercise and sadly I will not be able to restart for at least 12 weeks.

I belong to a weight loss support group on line, that is a big help. They are very supportive and understanding. If you are interested I would be happy to share that with you.

I know that it will be hard to eat right and the thought of exercise is out of the question. I know for me I am going to try to keep in mind what I worked so hard for, and eat when I am hungry and try to avoid the sweets. If that is possible! It will be hard this time of year, and it seems that most people try to be helpful with the notion that sweets make you feel all beter!

I wish you all the best with you surgery and recovery. If it is possible keep in mind that once you are fully back on your feet, you can keep up your weight loss efforts and not have the pain that you had before the surgery!

Best wishes!
Unread 12-03-2002, 05:28 PM
Date Set and Now Scared

Hi,

I can honestly say that waiting was the hardest part for me. I was 11 weeks post op yesterday and have not gained weight, I have lost more. As of my surgery morning I had lost 52 pounds and as of today I have lost a total of 70 pounds. I did not lose weight during my 4 weeks at home but I did not gain either. I walked a mile a day a week after I was home and continued throughout my recuperation at home. Now the weather stinks and I am walking about every other day on my treadmill. Congratulations on losing that much weight girl! That is great. You will be warned at your pre-op testing that you will gain some weight in the castle due to the IV fluids and getting you on the healing track so please do not freak out. I gained about 7 pounds in the castle but had it off the next week at home. You didn't say which type of hyst you are having or if you are keeping your ovaries or not. Be sure and discuss your concerns with your doctor regarding gaining any weight because I am sure s/he is proud of your accomplishment.

I was worried about the enema too but was not all that bad. In fact I forgot all about it. They need your bowels cleaned out so you are not straining for a bm right away to give you some time to heal inside.

Best of luck, you will feel so much better! s
Unread 12-03-2002, 06:15 PM
Date Set and Now Scared

Hi, Janelle! I'm 1 week post-op and suddenly feel great! I had an 8 week wait and was fine until 1 week prior and decided I should be scared of something! I also had a tummy tuck with mine and have had a blood clot in my leg that could have returned and was more fearful of that! To keep the fear at bay, I found out all that I could about each procedure and gave it to the Lord and asked many of my friends to pray for peace for me (as I will gladly do for you)......I was really calm for the rest of the time and did very well!
The best to you! Robyn
Unread 12-03-2002, 06:22 PM
Date Set and Now Scared

Oh my goodness - gaining weight isn't happening for me, thank goodness. ;-)
I have lost 12 to 15 pounds since the surgery 6 weeks ago, my swollen belly is now down to just baby fat (hehehe) and I've lost I don't know how many inches all over. I'm very pleased!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register