Upcoming March hysterectomy: Covid during Hospital Stay? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming March hysterectomy: Covid during Hospital Stay? Upcoming March hysterectomy: Covid during Hospital Stay?

Unread 12-29-2020, 07:56 PM
Upcoming March hysterectomy: Covid during Hospital Stay?

Hi everyone, I'm scheduled for an open abdominal hysterectomy on March 3 of next year due to fibroids. I'm comfortable with my decision, but what I'm uncomfortable with is the rising presence of COVID in the community and in hospitals in SoCal. I'm concerned that even with all the proper precautions taken by hospital staff, I may bring COVID home to immunocompromised husband. I haven't been able to find any information about this. Does anyone have any experience with tracing a COVID case to a hospital stay or similar concerns? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2020, 08:08 PM
Re: Covid during Hospital Stay?

No personal experience but keep in mind right now they're testing people pre surgery (a couple friends have had various procedures recently and each was tested). I'm in Virginia and the hospitals are keeping these wards very separate. Staff are well tested and fingers crossed the hospital staff where you are will have gotten the vaccine doses by March. I understand in SoCal cases are way up and perhaps it will abate or they'll move your surgery? Another friend recently had a hip replacement postponed and they're in Boston. Nothing wrong with postponing yourself if you think a couple extra months provides peace of mind. definitely ask what the hospital is doing to ensure your safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalcedony_82 View Post
Hi everyone, I'm scheduled for an open abdominal hysterectomy on March 3 of next year due to fibroids. I'm comfortable with my decision, but what I'm uncomfortable with is the rising presence of COVID in the community and in hospitals in SoCal. I'm concerned that even with all the proper precautions taken by hospital staff, I may bring COVID home to immunocompromised husband. I haven't been able to find any information about this. Does anyone have any experience with tracing a COVID case to a hospital stay or similar concerns? Thanks!
Unread 12-29-2020, 08:34 PM
Re: Covid during Hospital Stay?

if your surgery isn't an emergency and you are concerned, you might want to postpone it until you are comfortable having it. unfortunately, covid doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2020, 04:11 AM
Upcoming March hysterectomy: Covid during Hospital Stay?

I live with my brother, who is immunocompromised, and on top of that, I'm not able to wear a mask because of sensory issues tied to an autistic spectrum disorder, so I've shifted into hyperdrive on doing what I can to protect him and myself. Our living arrangements allow us to avoid close contact as much as possible, and he always wears a mask when he does need to come close to me. We've restricted our outings to essential activities like work, grocery shopping, and taking walks for exercise, and we're extra-strict about staying at least 6 feet apart from anyone else while were out. We also wash and sanitize our hands frequently, especially after coming home from any outing, and after touching any high-risk surfaces like door handles, plus I use a beach-based cleaner to sanitize these surfaces regularly. As mentioned above, hospitals are taking every precaution to ensure your safety, and by taking simple precautions at home like staying at least 6 feet from your husband as much as possible, wearing a mask when the two of you need to come any closer than that, and regularly sanitizing your hands and commonly touched surfaces, you should be able to keep him safe. Wishing you all the best for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 12-30-2020, 08:50 PM
Re: Upcoming March hysterectomy: Covid during Hospital Stay?

Hi Chalcedony_82 to HysterSisters!

I am so glad you found this site.

I understand your concern. You may wish to discuss your situation with the hospital to see what precautions they are taking. I recently had an outpatient procedure, and I had to get tested to demonstrate that I was negative, and I had to isolate for 14 days before to be allowed in the hospital for the procedure.

We also have had numerous women report that their surgeries have been postponed due to COVID space issues.

Cancelling is an option, if you wish to go down that route, and as long as your health is not impacted. Make the best decision for you and your family.

Unread 12-30-2020, 09:15 PM
Re: Upcoming March hysterectomy: Covid during Hospital Stay?

My whole family quarantined a total of 30 days before I had to get tested. I was tested only 5 days out from surgery. I was given the green light the day before. I went to Mercy Hospital in MD and they had my surgery in an entirely brand new building, away from the main hospital.
No one ever touched me without gloves on and no one ever got close to my face either. The only time I had contact, was when I got myself up from the recovery bed and walked over to my overnight bed. One nurse helped me scoot over to the side and helped move my legs. I was in the recovery room for 7 hrs bc they had to clean my room.
Hopefully you can get any questions you have answered quickly to help you decide
Jules

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register