Upcoming hysterectomy 1/21: Recovering alone after hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 1/21: Recovering alone after hysterectomy Upcoming hysterectomy 1/21: Recovering alone after hysterectomy

Unread 01-03-2021, 05:26 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 1/21: Recovering alone after hysterectomy

Hello my name is Mary Ann. I have a hysterectomy scheduled for 1/21/21. I have a pre op scheduled for 1/11/21. I was wondering if there are any women who have recovered alone at home from a hysterectomy. I was looking at youtube videos but in all the videos the women usually have someone to help take care of them. I unfortunately do no have that option. I live in a small studio so I figure I shouldn't need too much help. Maybe a cane and few items for the bathroom. If there are any women who have done it alone and have suggestions, I would greatly appreciate any advice. I am going to bring this up with my doctor at my pre op but I thought I would try here first. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2021, 06:55 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 1/21: Recovering alone after hysterectomy

Mary Ann

Welcome, glad you found us here.

You are not alone, there are many ladies that recover from surgery with different levels of support. Definitely talking to your doctor about your plan to recover at home alone is a must, this might be a factor if you are release same day or end up staying a day or two in the hospital.

Do you have family, friends or even a neighbor that could call to check in on you or if needed would be willing to run errands or stop over to help?

Between now and your surgery date, you should start making a list of things that you will want to gather to be near you during your recovery. For example leaving water bottles and snacks near your bed and couch/chair at places you think you will spend your time. Stock a variety of healthy meals that are easy to prepare or grab and go.
A tip: set up a medication log (date, time, rx taken) and set an alarm when next dose is needed. Even if this is over the counter meds, good to log it so that you can stay on top of pain and inflammation.

These articles have more helpful hints to help you prepare for your recovery at home:
10 Tips for Recovering from Home Alone
Recovering From Hysterectomy While Living Alone

Remember you might be home alone, but you always have sisters here willing to lend you support and guidance. Make sure you check back after the 21st and join in on your own special “recovery thread” with other ladies that have had surgery the same week as you.

Wishing you all the best
Unread 01-03-2021, 07:18 AM

I live alone and had no trouble recovering from my vaginal hysterectomy. I didn’t need a cane or any equipment. For help, someone brought groceries and took my trash can to the curb. I could have bought ahead or ordered groceries delivered. Now, I took only Aleve for pain so didn’t have strong pain meds to cloud me or make me sleepy so that’s something. I was up and around in my house from day one and had no issues with self care. All the tips above will be helpful to be prepared but except for stocking groceries and supplies, I didn’t do anything. Some ladies do like extra pillows, looser underwear, a reacher—but I didn’t need those items personally. I do think the type procedure, your previous health, and how you feel usually in similar situations will be factors to consider in your planning. But many of us do fine alone. Best wishes for an uneventful recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2021, 02:39 PM

i was married at the time but might as well been alone. i was perfectly fine. not just for my hysterectomy but other surgeries as well. plan ahead for food, make soups and freeze. have easy things like tuna salad, maybe cold cuts for a sandwich. you should be okay.
Unread 01-03-2021, 06:08 PM

I recovered alone from a few surgeries alone, and it was fine!
Enjoyed it having anybody on my back telling I should either rest or should be up!

The key is to be prepared ( reading the section of this site “Hints from members” was beyond helpful.

I organized kitchen and bathroom to have all I needed at counter level and caddy in the shower

The restrictions mostly weight lifting and no core work (think vacuum) were easy to follow.

I wouldn’t do it any differently, I believe that being by yourself helps the recovery as you do more and therefore don’t stay in bed and/or the sofa being waited on!

You may experience pain the first few days, but this surgery is no way disabling!

Good luck
Unread 01-04-2021, 03:42 AM

If you have a smartphone, here are a few suggestions: check your app store for a medication tracker app, which can remind you when it's time for your next dose; look into online delivery services for groceries, meals, and medication, which have proliferated during the pandemic; be sure to buy a long extension cord for plugging in the charger. Other helpful household items include disposable plates and cutlery to minimize clean-up work; a Squatty Potty or small footstool to elevate your feet while you're on the throne, which can help with those post-op bowel movements by properly aligning your rectum so the poop can pass through more smoothly; and a grabber for picking up small objects off the floor. Wishing you all the best for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 01-04-2021, 06:31 AM

Hi, I’m new here and following.
Mine is also the 21st.
I am also alone (the 19 year old will be with me for the first couple of days before going back to school).
Can you be more specific about foods?
What keeps well?
What freezes well?
Thank you!
Unread 01-04-2021, 06:39 AM

I had someone drop in every couple days to take out garbage and do laundry, but the rest of the time was alone. For meals, I stocked up on take and bake from a local restaurant (lasagna, chicken pot pie, chicken enchiladas) and made crock pot soups (beef vegetable) ahead of time and froze it. Bought a nice grabber, a long handled scoop for the litter box, made sure everything was at waist-level for kitchen stuff.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register