Panic Attacks Anyone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Panic Attacks Anyone? Panic Attacks Anyone?

Unread 12-04-2002, 06:57 PM
Panic Attacks Anyone?

Just as I hit my one year mark being cancer free there is a new demon in my life and it has not been diagnosed yet. I woke up one night thinking I had the flu-I felt severe nausea, cold sweats, tightness in my chest and my entire body especially my legs got weak. My husband called 911 who told him to open the window-it helped and I began to feel better. About 10 days later the same thing happenned again. I changed my diet to high protein thinking that my years of carb. addiction was causing hypoglycemia. Yesterday, my MD said that I do indeed have it. What a relief I thought-somthing I can control. Too good to be true though. Last night I had the worst episode yet. I took my blood glucose and it was normal. Now I am back to sqaure 1. Today I went to an endocrinologist-tomorrow the neurologist then the cardiologist. Just want to check all bases. Anyway, there is a history of panic attacks in my family. It just might be that. Just started on Klonopin to see if that helps. My mom takes it for her panic disorder. My life is really going well now though. It seems like an odd time for this to come on. Has anyone else had this experience? Sorry to be so long winded. I am just so debilitated by this. I feel worse than I did after the hyster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2002, 07:50 PM
Panic Attacks Anyone?

s Denise

I am so sorry to hear you are going through this. Your one year anniversary comes and you finally start to breathe deeper and POW!!!!!!
You are wise to explore all physical routes first.
I suffered from some panic attacks when I was about 23 years old. I met a wonderful psychologist at this time. He actually called it a bit of post traumatic stress. My mom died suddenly in a car accident when I was 20. I was a nursing student at the time and my dad was at home with my siblings ages 10 and 12. I carried on just fine for three years and then I seemed to fall apart. The psychologist felt I had been on emotional overload during the previous three years trying to help my dad and brother and sister, and I was also newly married. At any rate, I was temporarily on some medicine and these episodes passed quickly for me.
Your own situation could be likened to a bit of post traumatic stress. One year anniversary, good health, and your subconscious screams: I need a break here too!!!!!
You have my sympathy. I remember how darn scary those attacks could be.
Hopefully yours will pass quickly as well.
Let us know how everything goes.

karenann
Unread 12-04-2002, 08:04 PM
Panic Attacks Anyone?

Hi Denise,

Yes, I started having symptoms such as you described. It started with me a while after I had a heart attack. I was in Cardiac Rehab at the time and had access to a lot of great medical people. I was told at the time that people who may be prone to such things often become symtomatic after a serious illness. They did ask if anyone in the family had such problems and I remembered that my mom had some kind of problem yrs before when she was ready to get on a plane to fly across country alone. My sister had to come with her. It was probably an anxiety attack. She was never dx'd and didn't have the problem again.

When it first happened to me I would get the nausea, dizziness, and my legs would feel like sticks. That was explained as the old "fight or flight" thing.....the blood goes rushing to the places my body thought needed it.

The bad part was that I became afraid it would happen and started avoiding certain circumstances. The good part was that once I understood it I was able to control it under most circumstances. I do have a script for Xanax to be used as needed. I occasionally still get the nausea and light-headed feeling but have not had a "big one" in years.

If you are dx'd with Anxiety Disorder they will probably teach you breathing techniques.....I wouldn't have believed it but they do work.

Good luck with it.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2002, 09:37 AM
Panic Attacks Here

I can't recall just when they started but I have had some major ones, including two in November waiting for/having a CT scan and two earlier waiting for Dr. and having chemo. They are awful! I use lorazepam and that will help but I take it only at night to relax and then I don't get them at night. I wish you relief. I know another cancer survivor who has post traumatic stress disorder from all that's gone on with her. This is an emotional disease. A er and big
Unread 12-05-2002, 04:31 PM
Panic Attacks Anyone?

Congrats on your 1 year :

Talk about panic attacks!! Wow do I know about them. I can still remember my 1st one and that was about 25 years ago.
I am on Xanax and I think I have either become immune to it or I am worst since my hyst. My Dr. raised my dosage and it seems to help somewhat.
I agree with Karen,a phycologist would be great , but my insurance won't cover that. I also have a family history of panic and anxiety attacks.
Talk to your dr , see what he says. There is help out there.

S
Unread 12-05-2002, 04:57 PM
Panic Attacks Anyone?

Hi Denise...
Panic attacks used to be on my agenda all the time. I literally thought i was going nuts, crazy, having a heart attack, or going to die. I had a real good one, one year when i was visiting my parents in Florida. It was New Years Eve and we were supposed to drive back to NY. Well, my parents and my in-laws did not want us to leave that night and everyone started yelling that i got a real bad headache...had to go lie down, heart started pounding,,was very dizzy, and could not stand up. Well my dad and husband took me to the hospital.. I explained my symptoms to the dr. in the ER... he did some tests,,all was good and panic attack was the diagnosis. He gave me some tranquilizers and sent me on my way. When i got home i went to my regular doctor just to be sure and he agreed. He did more tests all was good. However, i do watch my caffine intake and do not drink coffee at all. Tea works better for me. Also, try and keep track of what you eat..sometimes certain foods can be triggers, they were for me.
Be well
Rosalie
Unread 12-05-2002, 06:01 PM
Panic Attacks Anyone?

Thanks for everyone's input. It makes me feel more sane. I do have a family history of panic attacks as well. My mom got addicted to Ativan from them which is my biggest fear. Just started on Klonopin. It worked last night. I have been getting them in the middle of the night so of course I'm afraid to go to sleep. I did have a really good day today so I am hoping this continues. Having this web site and with of the amazing women on it has been such a blessing for me. Thank you all again!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register