Nanny71's Vaginal Hysterectomy Story | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Vaginal Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nanny71's Vaginal Hysterectomy Story Nanny71's Vaginal Hysterectomy Story

Unread 02-02-2021, 04:33 PM
Nanny71's Vaginal Hysterectomy Story

Nanny71's Vaginal Hysterectomy Story

Vaginal Hysterectomy
Age at Surgery 70

I had a grade 3/4 uterine prolapse and grade 2 cystocele, I tried pelvic floor exercises which did not work, saw a urogynacologist consultant in November 2019, I was offered the choice of a pessary or surgery, I decided I would rather have surgery, I was put on a waiting list and had op November 2020, my recovery has gone really well apart from a couple of small niggles, it’s probably just as well as my husband got bored with helping in the house after 2 weeks, so been back to running the house, cooking, cleaning, clothes washing etc since. Glad I had the operation it’s so nice not having my uterus rubbing against underwear

I had my operation in a large London teaching hospital, I had a spinal block with sedation, I was a bit concerned as really did not want to be aware of what was happening, but the sedation knocked me out, woke up in recovery, I stayed in hospital for 2 nights had a catheter which was removed the day I went home, because of COVID restrictions I was not allowed visitors, my hospital experience was very good apart from waiting about 6 hours for medication before I could leave. I am very disappointed that the aftercare from the hospital has been non existent, I was not given a phone number to ring in case of problems, no list of when I could start doing things, I wasn’t even told about wearing the surgical socks at home so left them behind

My recovery is going very well, by week 3 I had to remind myself I was recovering from a hysterectomy and not to overdo things, I have a telephone post op appointment at 3 months, I am concerned about whether I am healing inside as no one is going to check, I presume consultant will tell me if I can return to my normal life. I still have my ovaries although I’m not sure they work due to my age and being on tamoxifen for 5 years

My health has improved since having the hysterectomy, as I no longer have problems with prolapses, I also haven’t had to deal with menopause symptoms

To anyone considering this operation I would say listen to your doctors advice, a lot would depend on the reason a hysterectomy was suggested, for various reasons this may be the only option, perhaps seek a second opinion. For anyone who has problems with anaesthetic ask about a spinal block
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register