Good Pap but 1.Cyst on Ovary & 2.Fibroids | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Good Pap but 1.Cyst on Ovary & 2.Fibroids Good Pap but 1.Cyst on Ovary & 2.Fibroids

Unread 12-05-2002, 04:27 PM
Good Pap but 1.Cyst on Ovary & 2.Fibroids

This forum has empowered me. A pelvic ultrasound (u.s.) in Nov showed 3 small fibroids (3.9, 2.5, & 2.0 cm), advice nurse told me lab report recommended MRI to investigate a 1.5-cm cyst on left ovary, said she'd have my doc call me to discuss further. When doc called she tried to blow me off, said I should have another u.s. in 2-3 mos but did not mention lab report recommendation. I asked her about adenomyosis, endo, adhesions, she said only way to know is to do exploratory surgery. She didn't ask me about my symptoms (pain during intercourse, pressure all the time, distended abdomen, no bleeding problems because had an ablation in '96) or history (Mom's mom died of some kind of female cancer - ovarian? cervical? uterine?- and my sis had endo). So I asked her, "What about an MRI?" She said too expensive for this stage of diagnosis, but when I told her my u.s. had been pelvic rather than vaginal (with a scope, to see ovaries better than a pelvic u.s. allows) she agreed that they should do a vaginal u.s. My last statement to her was that I've been doing a lot of research on Hyster Sisters that tells me women get put off especially by HMO's and I'm NOT gonna be put off. 30 minutes later the nurse practitioner who did my Pap smear in Oct called to say she was ordering an MRI, with a CA-125 test to be done in the meantime. Empower me? Maybe this forum is gonna save my life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2002, 07:39 PM

s to you!!!

Way to go!!!!! You sure sound empowered! Maybe you are even educating your doc a bit about how to go about investigating ovarian abnormalities a little better.
I recently attended an ovarian cancer conference. The early warning blood test for ovarian cancer is coming, but still about three years away. It will become part of the annual exam, like a PAP smear. At this same conference they had T shirts saying: Until There's a Test, Awareness is Best.
Best wishes to you. Let us know how you make out.

karenann
Unread 12-24-2002, 10:51 AM

Hi Karenann,
Just an update for you. The results are back from the vaginal u.s., MRI, and CA-125, and everything looks OK, thank God. This time the doc called me within days of the tests and seemed genuinely concerned. I have many small fibroids (more than have been reported to date) but the uterus is not significantly enlarged. Doc suggested another test in a few months to monitor the growth of the cyst and fibroids. Meanwhile I'm trying to exercise & eat right so that I don't store fat that increases the estrogen that feeds the fibroids, which of course makes them bigger. Advice for anyone who is about to have an ultrasound: Ask your doc if you really need to drink the 32 oz of water stated in the instructions; if your weight is normal you can probably drink just 20 oz and still be OK for the procedure.
God bless all the Hyster Sisters,
cindy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-24-2002, 10:59 AM

s Cindy

I am so glad you went ahead and insisted on further testing. Now you must feel so relieved. I think the advice given to you at this time is very reasonable. You can now feel comfortable waiting to repeat the ultrasound in a few months. And I know you won't forget the followup.
Keep in touch.

karenann

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register