Covid vaccine post hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Covid vaccine post hysterectomy? Covid vaccine post hysterectomy?

Unread 03-25-2021, 07:11 AM
Covid vaccine post hysterectomy?

I had my laparoscopic vaginal full hysterectomy on March 8 and I have an appointment to get my Covid vaccine tomorrow. I ran it by my surgeon and he said to wait three months postop. Wouldn’t it be worse to get Covid? I’m considering still getting it since I seem to be healing rather well… Has anyone received their Covid vaccine post surgery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2021, 07:20 AM
Re: Covid vaccine post surgery?

Do you have a GP or PCP you can run this by? Your family medicine Dr? I can’t advise what someone should do but I can suggest another opinion on this matter. Maybe there is a reason or study we don’t know about, or a rationale. It would be good to know exactly what that might be. I would check into it a bit further, as to the pros, cons, and evidence, and your other Dr who knows you is a good place to start.
Unread 03-25-2021, 08:14 AM
Re: Covid vaccine post surgery?

I had my 2 week post op visit on Tuesday and I asked my doctor about the vaccine. She told me that it was perfectly okay to schedule it at this point in my recovery.

Just adding this here as another data point for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2021, 04:38 AM
Covid vaccine post hysterectomy?

I think that one concern would be the possibility of confusing the side effects of the vaccine, a normal consequence of your body's immune response, with complications from the surgery. Here's one tip for telling the two apart: if symptoms come on within 24 hours of the shot, and go away over the next 48 hours, then they're most likely a normal side effect, and nothing to worry about; if symptoms start or continue outside these timelines, that would suggest that there's something else going on that needs to be checked out. As you've likely already heard umpteen times, COVID19 can be deadly, so it's important that you get the shot as soon as your turn comes up, as I'm planning to get mine as soon as my turn comes up. Best wishes for a trouble-free vaccination experience, and for continued health and healing!
Unread 03-26-2021, 06:53 AM
Re: Covid vaccine post hysterectomy?

It's a valid concern. The majority of people recover from Covid... but none of us know where we're going to land if we contract it, and none of us want to be on the receiving end of an invasive ventilator clinging to life. On the vaccine, some people experience side effects which might seem like an illness; part of the concerns being post-op would be whether we're having vaccine side effects or something more serious like an infection or abscess which could set us back in recovery. I'm two weeks post-op from emergency surgery (intestinal blockage) and am pondering the same thing. I'm in the current phase of vaccine eligibility in my state, and could've scheduled my first shot for today, but I've decided to wait for my surgical follow up and ask about it then. After the vaccine, if I should have fever, chills, headache, nausea, aches, etc., I wouldn't want to dismiss those as side effects from a vaccine when I could have an infection of some sort which could get worse during the time I'm thinking those are side effects.

I'm with Greyown in your situation. I'd probably ask your surgeon why a 3-month wait, and also get a second opinion.

Unread 03-26-2021, 05:30 PM

I just had my hysterectomy yesterday (March 25th) and asked my doctor when I could get the vaccine. She told me to get it as soon as I could. Today, I received an email from the hospital I am associated with telling me i can book my date to receive the vaccine. I picked the latest date they had available, which was April 3rd. I hope this isn't too soon.
I have endometrial cancer and I am 48. I don't know the pathology from the surgery but the FIGO Grade for the adenocarcinoma was 1-2. This was taken from the hysteroscopy d&c.
Now, I am just not sure after reading this thread.
Unread 03-27-2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angtz713 View Post
I just had my hysterectomy yesterday (March 25th) and asked my doctor when I could get the vaccine. She told me to get it as soon as I could. Today, I received an email from the hospital I am associated with telling me i can book my date to receive the vaccine. I picked the latest date they had available, which was April 3rd. I hope this isn't too soon.
I have endometrial cancer and I am 48. I don't know the pathology from the surgery but the FIGO Grade for the adenocarcinoma was 1-2. This was taken from the hysteroscopy d&c.
Now, I am just not sure after reading this thread.
There is no concrete guidance, and we're all really just pondering the situation. One of our Sisters was told to wait 3 months, you were given the go ahead to get the vaccine. I think in your situation, Tiger_Eye's suggestion of being aware of any side effects lasting for more than 48 hours is good common sense which you can follow.

Edited to add something I've found on Mayo's vaccine Q&A page:
Should I delay my COVID-19 vaccine if I am scheduled for surgery?
There is no need to postpone being vaccinated for COVID-19 until after your surgery. Any side effects, such as fever, that may occur from being vaccinated for COVID-19 the vaccine would will resolve within seven days. Most side effects resolve within three days.

Mayo does not recommend that you schedule your vaccination for COVID-19 within a few days of your surgery, especially the second dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech or Moderna vaccines for COVID-19. About 15% of people will experience a fever after the second dose of these vaccines. For the first dose, less than 1% will experience a fever.

If you check in on the day of surgery and you have a fever, you may need to reschedule your surgery. A fever immediately after surgery raises concerns about a surgical wound infection, so it's ideal if you can allow a week between being vaccinated for COVD-19 and surgery, especially for the second dose.

As of a few days ago, there is also a push to prioritize having patients vaccinated before surgery.

After my own emergency surgery, I personally would not want to wait 3 months, but if I'm cleared this Wednesday at 2-1/2 weeks, I hope to be scheduling within days.

Unread 03-29-2021, 12:47 AM

that 's intersting. My surgery was scheduled on 23rd and was supposed to have the vaccin , 1st shot tomorrow, the doctor told me no problem at all. Unfortunately the vaccin got stopped here because of some packaging issue so i lost my appointment. As soon as i can get another one, i ll take it.
Unread 03-30-2021, 03:21 PM

I had my hysterectomy on March 10th and received my vaccine 2 weeks post-op.
Unread 03-30-2021, 05:03 PM

I had my LAVH on 2/24 - at my 3-week post-op, I asked my doctor about the vaccine and was given a green light - I got my first shot the next day and am due for my 2nd on my 6-week post op 4/7. I agree with getting a second opinion, or inquiring as to the reasoning of your surgeon. Just putting this out there
Best wishes,
Anna

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register