Upcoming hysterectomy 4/16: Recovery expectations-Travel 8 days post surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 4/16: Recovery expectations-Travel 8 days post surgery Upcoming hysterectomy 4/16: Recovery expectations-Travel 8 days post surgery

Unread 04-14-2021, 04:28 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 4/16: Recovery expectations-Travel 8 days post surgery

Having my LAH on 4/16. After trying for years to avoid it and it’s not great timing. I’ll need to travel apx 3 hours by car about 8 days after surgery.
I know to get lots of rest and take it slow. But any experience/tips on how to do this successfully
. It’s a special once in a lifetime event and I don’t want to miss it so I’m motivated to make it work. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2021, 05:43 PM
Re: Recovery expectations

Do you know what is once in a lifetime event? A hysterectomy!

While the car ride is not impossible, there’s no telling if you will be up to it, we are all different.

Besides the car ride, attending an event might be even worse, not to mention that it is with other people, we’re still in the middle of a pandemic.

Whether or not you are motivated, your body will be the boss,
Unread 04-14-2021, 05:58 PM
Re: Recovery expectations

everyone recovers differently and you won't know if traveling is possible until after you have surgery. maybe reschedule your surgery until after these dates. not really sure what an LAH is but if youre having your cervix removed, you need to be careful about traveling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2021, 07:41 PM
Re: Recovery expectations-Travel 8 days post surgery

Hi Lolo74 to HysterSisters!

I am so glad you found this site.

Having a hysterectomy is MAJOR SURGERY. You are having an important organ removed from your body. Traveling 3 hours by car and attending this event may be too ambitious just 8 days after surgery. Traveling like this and attending events takes way more energy than you realize. At this point in your recovery, you will be exhausted, sore, perhaps still on pain medication, and may not be in the mood to see anyone. Recovery is different for everyone, but you really need to think in terms of weeks and not days. One weeks time is probably not enough.

I would strongly recommend that you ask your doctor about this trip. You should get his or her approval to do this. And, absolutely you cannot drive yourself.

You may also consider postponing the surgery until after so that you can attend this event and be 100% you with 100% energy.

Unread 04-15-2021, 04:06 AM

I agree with GPMS about avoiding events like this during the pandemic. My region is currently under a Stay At Home order, in response to skyrocketing infection rates driven by the new variants overloading our health care system, where we've been ordered not to leave our homes except for essential outings like essential work that cannot be done from home, grocery shopping, health care needs, and taking walks for exercise, and health officials are urging us to minimize or avoid contact with anyone we don't live with; staff at our hospitals are also being asked to scale back on non-emergency surgeries in response to the current influx, and I've heard from quite a few sisters whose surgeries had had to be cancelled or postponed because of this, so if you're one of the lucky few whose surgery is still on, then I recommend against asking for a postponement, because there's no telling when you might get a new date. Medical appointments, like going to the hospital to have surgery, are considered essential, and hospitals have taken steps to prevent transmission, so I recommend that you prioritize your surgery, and postpone any other events until the pandemic is over. Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 04-16-2021, 04:48 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 4/16: Recovery expectations-Travel 8 days post surgery

Dear Friend,

Well after I posted, I had to edit as I just see your surgery is scheduled for today.

I was going to add my two cents that I’d highly recommend rescheduling your surgery if you really want to travel. The risk of infection with Covid is high....especially for a patient recovering from a hysterectomy. We all heal differently, but traveling so soon after surgery concerns me.

In case you are still planning your trip, please read this article. I’m sure you have consulted with your doctor by now.
Road Trips

Good luck and please let us know what you’ve decided.
Unread 04-17-2021, 03:54 AM

I just wanted to give an update on my last posting, and I seriously hope that you didn't ask to postpone your surgery, and that you cancelled your attendance at this event. Here in Ontario, our COVID19 infection rates are spiralling out of control, and our health care system is approaching the point where we'll have to pick and choose who gets treated and who doesn't, so our government has enhanced our Stay At Home order, giving police the authority to stop people to question why they're out of their homes, and to charge anyone who's not out for a legitimate reason. As much as you may have been looking forward to this event, it's simply not worth jeopardizing your health and facing whatever legal consequences may be in effect where you live. Once this is all over, you can look forward to things returning to some semblance of normal, where you can attend these events worry-free. Wishing you all the best for continued health and healing!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register