Upcoming hysterectomy 5/5, pre-surgery prep advice please! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 5/5, pre-surgery prep advice please! Upcoming hysterectomy 5/5, pre-surgery prep advice please!

Unread 04-28-2021, 04:01 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 5/5, pre-surgery prep advice please!

Hello all, I didn't have a chance to introduce myself before, it's all happened quickly, I was expecting 2 weeks notice for my surgery, but I just had the call that it will be next week on May 5th! Eeek! So soon!
I'm having a transvaginal hysterectomy, for fibroids, keeping my ovaries. I don't know the terms that most of you seem to be using for the types of surgeries, I'm here in Spain and I think they use different ones, or just didn't use those terms with me.
Because of the virus, I'll be sent home from hospital the same day, with a video call with my doctor the next day and a visit from a nurse. I've got lots of pillows. And a lovely partner to look after me. I've been reading lots here so feel fairly well informed, but any additional advice or tips on how to prepare myself or what to stock up on, before next week, would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2021, 05:53 PM
Re: Surgery next week, pre-surgery prep advice please!

Hi and Welcome!

Please check this out: Pre Op Splash Page

In addition to our articles in Pre Op, also check out the HINTS thread with helpful hints from
Members over the years.

Best of luck for an uneventful surgery and good recovery.
Unread 04-28-2021, 05:55 PM
Re: Surgery next week, pre-surgery prep advice please!

Site Abbreviations

And good to know…

Site Tutorial
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2021, 04:16 AM

Here are my top picks for items to have on hand: a good pair of walking shoes; loose fitting clothes; a freezer and pantry filled with easy to prepare meals and snacks; an easy-open water bottle, peppermint tea, fiber-rich frozen blueberries and whole grain cereal like oatmeal or All Bran, magnesium-rich dark chocolate and pumpkin seeds, a fiber supplement like Metamucil or Benefibre, Gas-X, and fennel or coriander seeds to combat post-op constipation and gas; a Squatty Potty or small footstool to elevate your feet while you're on the throne, which can help with those post-op bowel movements by properly aligning your rectum so the poop can pass through more smoothly; activities to occupy your brain while you're recovering; extension cords for plugging in your electronics; a grabber for picking up small objects off the floor. Wishing you all the best for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 04-29-2021, 04:47 AM

I’m now 6 days post op and I’ve found a warm wheat bag a godsend. If you also wrap it in a pillowcase it tends to stay warmer longer. Keep up your pain meds four hourly and you’ll be fine. I didn’t have a bowel movement for 5 days and was really stressed about it. I ended up sending hubby to the chemist to buy suppositories and in 15 minutes I was pooping like a trooper haha Fortunately I didn’t have any gas pain which is something else I worried about beforehand. All in all, it’s not been as bad as I’d imagined. As long as you keep your pain meds up. I set my alarm four hourly so not to sleep through it. All the best with your recovery.
Unread 04-29-2021, 04:24 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 5/5, pre-surgery prep advice please!

Thank you! Great tips!
Tiger Eye, walking shoes for being around the house?
Do you think a bed pan is useful or necessary? Or is it better to get up to go to the loo, as a bit of exercise?
Olivemire, good to know about a warm thing, I don't have a microwave, so I can't heat up a wheat bag, but I do have a hot water bottle, so I'm sure that'll do the trick! Hope your recovery continues to go well.
Unread 04-29-2021, 04:30 PM

You’ve been given great tips and advice.

You’ll need slippers with non-slip soles for matching around the house. They will reduce the odds of slipping

You’ll want to be able to walk to the bathroom. You need to keep your circulation going (and to help the bowels regulate) ….and you can gradually increase the amount you walk depending on how
you feel.

A heating pad would work too or the trusty hot water bottle (just not too hot)

Have plenty of water and easy to eat healthy snacks on hand
Unread 04-29-2021, 05:31 PM

[quote=RobotBcn;1527832033]Thank you! Great tips!
Tiger Eye, walking shoes for being around the house?
Do you think a bed pan is useful or necessary? Or is it better to get up to go to the loo, as a bit of exercise?

Make sure you hear that from your doctor, but most advise against spending recovery in bed, it is not good for you.

Walking regularly, even for a few minutes will help your recovery
Unread 04-29-2021, 05:32 PM

Thanks very much for the clarification Marciamae!

Unread 04-29-2021, 06:02 PM

25 Things to Know

50 Things I Wish I Knew Before Hysterectomy

Hints From Members Read Only Tips

Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register