Should I be here?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I be here?? Should I be here??

Unread 12-08-2002, 09:42 PM
Should I be here??

Hi Ladies, I had a TAH/RSO in June of this year because of chronic left sided pelvic pain...(I know you are all thinking....why TAH...I have the same questions...long story...so I won't go there...completely unfounded!) If I had known then what I know now....water under the bridge.

Anyway....3-4 weeks ago, I finally found a new Dr about STILL having chronic left sided pelvic pain....that my old DR said was all in my head.....turns out that I have a cyst the size of a cantaloupe found on an ultrasound last week that shows signs consistent with malignancy......Dr did a CA-125 which came back "within normal limits" ..spoke with someone at hospital today that says this could still be cancerous, I'm trying not to see the dark side of this.

I have had so little time to prepare for surgey again...seen my dr last monday and I was scheduled for this tuesday....8 days..and thought I would do fine the second time around but find that I am REALLY nervous...just as nervous as the first time.

Just wondering if you gals have any hints as how to get through the 2nd surgery with these things running through your head? My friends seem to be looking at this as if......."no big deal, she's been through this before" and to me it's a whole new thing.

It is late Sunday and I will be so busy trying to tie up loose ends tomorrow that I wont have much time to post tr go into chat before D-day so I was hoing some of you ladies would have some input for me.

Thanks so much. Good luck and blessings to all!!!!
Dawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2002, 10:16 PM
Should I be here??

Hi Dawn,

You have have had an awful lot to deal with. The fear and the waiting is I thing the hardest part.I also had two surgeries. The first in August was a pelvic exenteration ( TAH plus removal of 6 inches of the colon, for an 8 cm malignant tumor and the second was an intestinal resection where they removed 2 1/2 inches of small intestine because it had twisted into a knot. I am now going thru chemo therapy. This board has helped me a lot, because the sisters understand first hand what we are going thru when often our family and friends don't. Taking things one day at a time, holding on to my faith and lots of prayer keep me are the only way I know to deal with this. I am praying for you. Please keep in touch and post when you can after the surgery.
Debbie

Squamos cell cancer pelvic, small intestine, pharynx
pelvic exenteration with temporary colostomy 8/7( so they said )
intestinal resection 9/25
Taxol/ Cisplatin/ ifosfamide begun 11/25
Unread 12-09-2002, 02:07 AM
Should I be here??

Hi Dawn,
I am so sorry you are facing another surgery so soon after your hyster, but good that the doctor discovered this as the cause of your pain.

There are so many cysts and tumors that can be that size and be totally benign. Is your doctor having a gyn/oncologist attend the surgery? They are the cancer experts and usually do perform or attend surgeries if cancer is suspected.

Its hard not to worry I know, but really Dawn, there are lots of benign things this could be, so try and keep positive thoughts.
I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers that all is fine for you. Please let us know how you are doing when you are home and rested.
Big Hugs
Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2002, 06:37 AM
Hi Maria,

There will be 2 surgeons present for my surgery although neither one of them is an oncologist. My dr did consult with a gyn/onc who felt quite certain that this would NOT turn out to be cancerous. Which was lots of relief to me and my dr. My dr said the only way we will know 100% is after he sends the tissues off to pathology. I feel like I probably shouldnt be on this board but that one little glimmer of doubt has me worried enough that I keep thinking about it. It has changed the way I look at what is important in my life.

Thanks for your help.

Dawn
Unread 12-09-2002, 06:38 AM
Dawn, of course you belong here

I'm hooping that this is benign--remember, that many cysts and tumors are benign. Do have a gyn/onc on hand or doing the surgery just in case it isn't--they're the best. While there can be false positives and negatives, and CA125 is about 80% reliable, I do think that's a good sign. I know it's hard two surgeries so close (I still cringe at the word and it's 20 months almost) but it'll get you on the road to health and you do need to know what this is. A and a er for you. Ellen
Unread 12-09-2002, 08:10 PM
Should I be here??

{{Dawn}}

Its perfectly normal to be feeling the way you do and you bet, you belong here!!! I couldn't imagine NOT being scared on dealing with any possibility of cancer.

I hope all will turn out just fine and hope that growth is benign. Please know we'll all have you in our thoughts and prayers for your surgery tomorrow. Please let us know how things go when you have a chance.

{{Hugs}}

Vicki

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register