where to donate my hair? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

where to donate my hair? where to donate my hair?

Unread 12-09-2002, 12:58 PM
where to donate my hair?

hello to everyone,so many questions and concerns have been laid to rest with the help of all of you . thank you. medical questions can be answered by my great dr. but the fears ... and the emotional struggle the small ... what ifs .. and the why me feelings that go with any medical condition are much less lonely when i know people are going through the same thing.
given the choice of undergoing chemo ... or letting time tell if this cancer cell i had removed through a tah in november could come back ...i opted for 3 rounds of chemo ..taxol i heard being the main componant to losing my hair. greek italian ...my hair is to my butt...my hair is what people say ... ohhhh i always wanted such curly long hair ....ohhhh i'd die for such thick hair ....well ... boy ohhhhh boy ....its the last thing i thought of ever parting with ... even for a short time .... but as life goes im so gracious for every moment...for every time i see my family and for evey time i wake up and welcome a new day that losing my hair is a mall price to pa ... as weve all said~to ourselves in prayer ~but it isssss long.. and it isssss thick and it issss beautiful ...and i would like to find out where i can donate it ..does any one have information ...i know there are hairdressers that work with teen cancer patients ..and others ... id really like my hair to go to a good home its been with me uncut for 20 years ~
:
what a long strange trip its been
than you again
collette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2002, 01:53 PM
Call a hair dresser

If you live near a large city, call a hairdresser in that city and ask them if they know where you can donate you beautiful locks. They sould be able to direct you to a hairdresser that would take your donated locks.... It is so nice of you to think of the teens and children going thru cancer. You might even be able to check out a web site --- search "Locks of Love" I dont know what the actual www address is but that should get you started.

Again you are a brave and courageous woman.

's to you and May the Lord Bless you and keep you thru this trying time.

Love
Unread 12-09-2002, 02:15 PM
Locks of Love

I think if you just type that in, you'll get the site. They make wigs for children. Or else call a few local salons and see if they know of a place that would take it and make a wig for a teen. Best wishes for successful chemo and a cure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2002, 02:43 PM
where to donate my hair?

(((Collette)))
Bless your heart!!! I have always had short hair, and I often thought about what it would be like for the dear women with long lovely hair to have to lose it to chemo. You have a wonderful attitude and you are so right, its a small price to pay for the joys of life everyday.
We have the Locks for Love in Canada as well, and they are so grateful for the human hair contributions they get to help the kids going through chemo. May your generosity come back to you ten-fold in the form of excellent health after undergoing your treatments!

Keep us posted and remember we are all always here for encouragement, support and hugs anytime!!
Big hugs to you,
Maria
Unread 12-09-2002, 06:21 PM
where to donate my hair?

Collette,

I don't have a clue where you could donante your hair, but it seems as if you have gotten some good ideas.

I just want to wish you luck, luck, and more luck on your treatments. Don't forget that everytime you have one , it's killing the bad cells. I just know with your kind heart you'll be fine.

Prayers are with you. keep us updated.
Unread 12-09-2002, 06:42 PM
where to donate my hair?

Hi Collette..
I have heard that "Locks of Love" is a wonderful organization. In fact, last year, a mother and daughter team, from my class, both donated their long hair and they looked just adorable in their new short haircut. They did it right after I had my hysterectomy. I doubt if one thing had anything to do with the other, but I was very proud of them and glad to call them my friend.
MY hair is starting to grow back in and it is very thick now. A few more weeks and i will be able to go without the wig.
What you are going to do is a wonderful, caring idea.
Rosalie
Unread 12-09-2002, 07:46 PM
where to donate my hair?

{{Collette}}

What a wonderful thing to do! I remember when I cut off my hair when it started coming out, it was on the longer side (I thought so anyway) but unfortunately not long enough to donate. I still have the pony tail I cut off before I shave it reeeeally short.

I hope you'll find a good organization to help and hope your treatments will go well with minimal side effects.

{{Hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 12-11-2002, 10:12 AM
locks of love it is ~

hi to eveyone . thank you so much for the locks of love idea..i looked up the site and called to arrange a place to send my braid. it sounds like a wonderful place.
i go in for my chemo consultation this tuesday the 17th. that might be a good day .....to say good bye for now to my hair ... an send it off on a new beginning for someone else.
the circle of life continues .
i love you and wish happiness and health to yu all ~
collette:
Unread 12-27-2002, 12:03 AM
where to donate my hair?

I just wanted to thank you for considering "Locks of Love" as your choice for donating your hair. It's a wonderful cause & imagine the smile it will bring to a childs face when they get their new hair!

In the last 6 months I've personally directed over 50 people to the site & so far 23 have donated their hair.

As I was reading your original post I was thinking about my own hip length & very thick hair. My husband & I have both been growing our hair for "Locks of Love" the past 4 years. We were actually discussing it again today on the way home from my post op check up. I had already planned to cut mine in Spring anyway. Since I was diagnosed with cancer 3 weeks ago I will be sending my hair out a bit sooner now.

Something good always comes from something bad. I see it as a new beginning, a gift for someone else & a start to the healing. Bless you for sharing yours!

http://www.locksoflove.org/
Unread 12-27-2002, 08:17 AM
where to donate my hair?

Dear Witchdust..
I am soo sorry to hear that you were just diagnosed but you were absolutely right..good things do come from bad sometimes. MY own hair is just now really beginning to grow back.
I wish you lots of wonderful results from your treatments. You and your husband sound like very giving people.
Keep in touch
Rosalie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register