Help!! Im losing it!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help!! Im losing it!! Help!! Im losing it!!

Unread 12-10-2002, 08:34 AM
Help!! Im losing it!!

I can't take this hormonal roller coaster anymore! Why didn't they tell me that my life was going to turn up side down? I am full of so much anxiety that I can't even function. Here is my story...

I had a TVH/BSO on Sept 18th. I started on the vivelle patch .05, which worked great for me. Everything was going fine until I went to see my doctor about 3 weeks ago. I told her I needed something for my Libido, so she switched me to Estratest HS and also put me on wellbutrin. About a week ago I started getting really aggitated to where it never stopped. I thought it would pass but it never did, so I decided to switch myself back to the Vivelle patch last Saturday. Saturday night I went xmas shopping with my husband and I thought I was going to loose it in Walmart and riding in the car. I am so scared that something is going to happen. This is such an awful feeling! Im having a hard time driving myself in a car also. I feel like im to jittery and not in control.

Yesterday morning when I woke up I did some breathing exercises and stretches and told myself that I felt good. I was doing good until about 10:00. All of a sudden the anxiety hit me again. I called my Doctors office yesterday in tears and they told me she was out of town. They want to do blood tests to see where my levels are at, but my problem is my insurance is lapsed until February. I decided that this morning I wasnt going to take my wellbutrin thinking that might be the problem, but as soon as I got out of bed, the anxiety was there.

On Sunday I also when to the Health food store and picked up some vitamins they suggested and also some progesterine cream, but so far I still feel like im gonna go crazy.

Im sorry Im rambling on but I just can't take it anymore!! Any suggestions of what I might be able to do, to feel normal again, would be so much appreciated. Has anybody else been feeling like this?? Please Help Me!! I love being pain free, but i would rather live with pain than with hormonal problems!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2002, 08:44 AM
I'm in the same boat

and equally frustrated. I know there is a solution out there but it is going to take some time to arrange appointments, get blood hormone test results interpreted, work with a compounding pharmacist. And I am in a "I hate the holidays" mood since all that does is close doc's offices and make it hard to get in for appointments!

What I am doing to deal with this is arrange hormone testing and make appointments. I started prog cream last night in desparation! The literature says it will help and it the only option until I can get custom blended hormones.

I am also logging all the symptoms so when I do see the doc, they know exactly how I am suffering and how frequently. I refuse to be blown off again!

The title of that book "Screaming to be Heard" is right on target!!! And I am irritable enough right now to be a real thorn in someone's side to get the attention I deserve.
Unread 12-10-2002, 09:56 AM
Help!! Im losing it!!

Bobbie,
Please don't give up. Hormonal balance is possible, but for some of us it takes a bit of tinkering to get there. Estratest is a synthetic estrogen with synthetic testosterone mixed in. I have heard that the synthetic hormones can take awhile to get out of your system.

There's some good information in the pull down menus at www.hormonejungle.com I would like to point out the supplements www.hormonejungle.com/supp.php It wasn't until I added these supplements that I finally found some consistancy to my balance.

In desparation I once tried St John's Wort and that made everything worse for me. I thought I was going to come out of my skin. It made me depressed, anxious, and angry. I also had previously been on Elavil and I now call that the devil drug. It made me a very evil person. What I'm trying to say is that we each have different reactions to different meds. Unfortunately the only way to find one that works is to try it. If it makes things worse than you need to try something else.

A compounding pharmacist is a good place to start. I don't know where I would be without my wonderful caring pharmacist. She helped me so much during the early days of trying to find that happy place called hormonal balance. This site has a pharmacy locator www.iacprx.org

Hang in there Bobbie, things can get better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2002, 09:59 AM
Help!! Im losing it!!

(((Bobbie)))

Can you talk to your doc about going back on the v dot? Maybe the estratest and wellbutrin is just too much ---some ideas

--while some ladies do very well on estratest, both the estrogen and testosterone in it are not bio-identical. You may do better with bio-identical testosterone cream. It is also easier to control the dose -

--were you having symptoms of depression besides loss of libido? While some women find that SSRIs like Wellbutrin do help with surgical menopause, if your only symptom was libido problems, it could be that you don't need the estratest and the wellbutrin? Just my opinion, but I would make one change at a time.

Dorrie
Unread 12-10-2002, 11:37 AM
Help!! Im losing it!!

Bobbie,

I have been crawling out of my skin for months and it keeps getting worse. Have tried several antidepressants and they all seem to up my anxiety level. My gyn put me on Estratest HS following surgery. Wished I had found this site before surgery and knew not to start 2 hormones at once. Read some info on testosterone which said it can cause agitation. Also read that your ovaries produce about .5mg a day which is less than in the EstratestHS. Besides anxiety also developped awful sleep problem which is not yet resolved. When I questioned my gyn he said some women are more sensitive to the testosterone and took me off the Etratest and switched to Estrace. WIsh I could say that solved my problems but maybe the testosterone is related to some of your anxiety. The great thing about the estratest is that it helped sexual response which is gone now. Feel I have to work out the anxiety issue before dealing with that though and fortunately my dh is being kind and patient in all areas. For now I'm not using an anti depressant and have actually seen a psychiatrist to help with meds. Scared me that I had to do that but she was understanding. In fact she had a hysterectomy and thinks it still can be related to my body not using the oral estrogen. She has referred me to a new gyn just don't know how long it will take me to get an appointment since she was booked until March.
Hope you find some relief from the anxiety. I know it is doing awful things to my life. Can't accomplish much or go many places when I feel like that. Hope you find the key sooner. Let me know what works!

Lisee
Unread 12-10-2002, 01:19 PM
Help!! Im losing it!!

I am not an expert on hormones as I am still looking for that right balance myself. But having been on every antidepressant in the world I think, I do know something about those.
I take wellbutrin, and it did take a few weeks for the side effects to go away.
It is an "energizing" antidepressant, and has no sexual side effects as far as killing libido, and some say it does the opposite. It is also considered to be weight neutral. Some of the others have caused lots of weight gain in people. and weight loss in a few. They wanted me to use wellbutrin in addition to prozac, so while I was starting one I was still taking the other. I then decided to get off the prozac just in case it was the culprit in my lack of libido.
I tried several times to start using wellbutrin,but the insomnia made me quit every time. Finally, I decided to bite the bullet and I stayed on. It took a few weeks for the insomnia to go away, but now I do feel better. I kicked the prozac finally after 9 years. Still no sex drive though. So am using natural testosterone to try and help that situation.
I would imagine that synthetic testosterone could agitate you, and also depression will do that as well. Lack of sleep, hot flashes and all the rest of the menopausal stuff doesn't help either.

Best of luck,

Shazz
Unread 12-10-2002, 01:23 PM
Help!! Im losing it!!

I'm new to this site also, but I read your post and had to tell you - I feel your pain! I started my own post titled "multi- questions". If you've read it, you can see the insanity I am going through as well. I'm extremely irritable and would like to hurt something small & helpless (maybe I'll start with my gyno!). I had a TVH July 1st this year so I am still trying to adjust too. I had my surgery so I could be alive to be here with my kids. That's all that keeps me going. I'm going to beat this thing and so will you. Have faith, we're going to find ourselves again! You are not alone, keep coming to this site and draw on the support these great women here offer. Someday you and I will be able to offer support to other women lost in the jungle too! Hang in there and keep us posted.
Unread 12-10-2002, 02:13 PM
Help!! Im losing it!!

Thank you all for responding to my post. I don't know what I'd do without you girls. I have never been so frustrated in all my life. Hormones are not a fun thing to mess with! If I had to diagnose myself, I would say that the estratest w/testosterone is what is making me feel crazy. (I feel like I drank about 10 pots of coffee, all day long). When I first started taking the Wellbutrin I got the jitters for the first 3-4 days or so but they eventually went away, and I thought I was doing OK on it. The reason my doctor put me on it was because I told her I feel like I have no life, because I have no energy to go anywhere. I want to stay home in my safe haven. The world seems pretty scarey when your hormones are whacky.

Do you think that maybe Im not getting enough Estrogen? I was thinking that maybe, after surgery, when they first put me on the patch, that I had some estrogen still stored in my body and now its all gone and I'm not getting enough? Either that or the testosterone is still in my system. Ive lost about 13 pounds since the surgery and I think its because my metabolism isnt slowing down at all. I dont know what to think. I hate trying to diagnose myself, but it seems like thats what im doing all the time. I was having problems sleeping for awhile but I talked to the pharmacist and he suggested Valarium Root, and its working real well for me (really stinks though). Im taking the vitamins that are on the pull down menu and also some supplemental vitamins. Im sure its going to take awhile for me to feel the "good effect" from them since I've only been taking them for 3 days. Lets hope they start working soon or the testosterone disappears because I cant go back to the doctor till my insurance clicks back in, in February. I Pray that all you girls get yourself balanced too. This is no way to live. Especially around the holidays!

Take Care, and thank you so much for your responses!

Bobbie
Unread 12-10-2002, 02:26 PM
Help!! Im losing it!!

Bobby, I am also having hormonal problems. It sounds like the Estratest with synthetic hormones combined with the Wellbutrin was too much of a shock for your body. I took Aygestin, a synthetic progestin, and that was ugly too. Could you stop both of them for now and go back on Vivelle? I am on Estrace and Prometrium but its still not right and my whole sex life is kind of dead. But I'm only willing to try natural testosterone gel at this point. The women on the group that take the compounded natural hormones seem to do very well. It can be hard to find the right doctor and all but worth it. If the anxiety is really out of control, you might need a low-dose Valium for a few days until it passes. Good luck, Joeanne
Unread 12-10-2002, 02:34 PM
Help!! Im losing it!!

Bobbie,

Felt the need to reply again when I read your most recent post. You are the first person who has mentioned weight loss. My doctor said you'll gain weight on the hormones. Well I keep losing and it just adds to my anxiety. I wasn't big to begin with and I feel like I'm melting away. Have wondered if the anxiety is causing the weight loss or could the estrogen not be getting to me? Went through years of infertility treatment and many times my body would respond strangely to hormones. My doctor from those years has unfortunately moved away since he was great. He said he couldn't figure out why I responded the way I did. Wish I had thought that all through before this surgery. Has anyone given you a reason for the weight loss? I try to eat enough although some days it is a struggle. I tried to add some new vitamins to the ones I already use but some seem to really upset my stomach. I've become too much of a homebody too and it's rough on my family.
Hope we can both look forward to smoother sailing soon!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register