Blood when wiping with bowel movement - 8 weeks post hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Blood when wiping with bowel movement - 8 weeks post hysterectomy Blood when wiping with bowel movement - 8 weeks post hysterectomy

Unread 07-17-2021, 09:28 AM
Blood when wiping with bowel movement - 8 weeks post hysterectomy

Hi. This is my first time posting. My surgery went well back on 5/19/21. However, at day 10 I had a gush of blood. It stopped by the end of the day, but remained when wiping. At my 6 weeks post opp I had to get silver nitrate on my vaginal cuff to stop bleeding, That seemed to make it worse for a few days, so I went back 4 days later to get the treatment again. It's been almost 2 weeks and I was continuing to have light red blood, then brown usually only when wiping. I started antibiotics for UTI on Tuesday, I was still having brown blood when wiping then this morning it turned back to light red. It seems like the last few days I was only getting it when I had a bowel movement. I'm not sure if that's due to the antibiotics or what and why this is happening. I haven't been able to get in contact with my doctor yet. I left a message Friday and have emailed him a couple times. Has this happened to anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2021, 02:08 AM
Re: Blood when wiping with bowel movement - 8 weeks post opp

This happened to me. My cuff was healing very slowly. It was exactly as you described. Primarily when I had a BM. I ended up using vaginal estrogen to get things healing. Eventually the spotting stopped. I'd try to talk with your doctor next week. I had silver nitrate for granulation as well as a few polyps removed in office and had the same issues. Don't panic. As long as you aren't experiencing any other symptoms, fever, pain etc. It might be like my experience and just need more time. I was really careful about my bending, lifting and squatting because it moves things around down there. Think about a cut on your finger where you bend it... it needs to be undisturbed for a while. I'm at almost 15 weeks now and it's stopped and I'm doing well. You will get there. Big hug to you. It's hard when it goes slow.
Unread 07-18-2021, 03:50 AM

Your rectum is directly behind your vagina, so it is possible for a bowel movement to disturb your vaginal cuff as it passes through, especially if you're straining to pass a large, hard movement. A few tips to encourage easier BMs: drink enough water so that your urine is clear or pale yellow; fill up on soluble fiber from bananas, blueberries, oatmeal, and psyllium or chia seeds; fill up on insoluble fiber from All Bran cereal and most vegetables, which works by adding bulk to your stool, like squeezing toothpaste out of a full tube versus trying to squeeze out that last little bit; squat whole you're on the throne, with your feet elevated on a small footstool, which properly aligns your rectum so the poop can pass through more smoothly. Wishing you all the best for continued health and healing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2021, 08:49 AM
Re: Blood when wiping with bowel movement - 8 weeks post hysterectomy

Thank you so much for the information. I'll talk to my doctor about it.
Unread 07-18-2021, 12:45 PM

I stayed on stool softeners for 8 weeks to avoid this issue. I had to teach myself to not strain to have a bowel movement. I finally got the hang of it.

A stool for your feet while you are on the toilet helps.
Unread 07-18-2021, 01:13 PM

I'm having regular BM, so I wouldn't think that's the issue. I used magnesium SR vitamin B free and a probiotic that keep me regular, but I'm thinking that the pushing is part of it. I'll try a foot stool to see if that helps.

I also noticed a small amount of blood with sex too. I've only tried a couple times to have sex so far. I've been a bit worried about bleeding to really try and my sex drive has been in the can even before surgery.
Unread 07-18-2021, 09:13 PM

I'm surprised your doctor cleared you for sex. My doctor said no to sex until there was no blood at all.
Unread 07-19-2021, 05:37 AM

Since you've got both the bleeding with wiping AND bleeding with sex going on, it'd be best to get your doctor's take and make an appointment. You could have some granulation going on, scar tissue covering up an unhealed area, and it's not healing properly.

Let us know what your doctor says.

Unread 07-19-2021, 07:40 AM

I have seen my doctor twice, once 6 weeks post opp and about 4 days latter. He said I had granulation and treated it with silver nitrate. He also did an ultrasound to look for active bleeding above the cuff and inside. I've been emailing him and he wants to give it a couple more weeks with treatment of estrogen (as someone suggested in this thread). Then will retreat with the silver nitrate if the bleeding hasn't stopped. It is very minimal the amount of bleeding I'm having.
Unread 07-22-2021, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenf72 View Post
I have seen my doctor twice, once 6 weeks post opp and about 4 days latter. He said I had granulation and treated it with silver nitrate. He also did an ultrasound to look for active bleeding above the cuff and inside. I've been emailing him and he wants to give it a couple more weeks with treatment of estrogen (as someone suggested in this thread). Then will retreat with the silver nitrate if the bleeding hasn't stopped. It is very minimal the amount of bleeding I'm having.
First a question: are you having vag dryness? That can sometimes cause bleeding if there is friction (sex, insides rubbing, being pushed into eachother and becoming irritated…) Lube or a vag cream may help.

I really had little to no blood until 5 days post op, prolly caused by a rough bm on day 4 (an unfortunate choice of Mexican too early after op). I had a hard time convincing the dr that I should come in because i wasn’t saturating a pad. But a week later I pushed them and got an appointment, I went in and 2/3 of my cuff was oozing/not healing. I received silver nitrate and found out what area exactly was oozing.

I think that made all the difference because I was able to lie on the opposite side. Basically the left side was oozing, so I forced myself to lay on my right side so there was no pressure on the under healed side while I waited for the silver nitrate discharge to stop.

In my case, everything finally stopped four days after the treatment - as expected based on the dr’s answer to my question about how long to wait if it doesn’t stop (other than saturating a pad).

So hang in there and ask what area may be oozing/unhealed so you can find positions to allow more healing. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register