Any experience with Toradol, Versed, Ativan... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any experience with Toradol, Versed, Ativan... Any experience with Toradol, Versed, Ativan...

Unread 12-11-2002, 12:03 AM
Any experience with Toradol, Versed, Ativan...

Hi, my surgery is scheduled for the 17th, HUGE YIKES! And even though I'm a nurse and know a great deal about meds, I'd still like to hear some personal experiences.

I'm having my surgery with an epidural, no way am I having a general! (Just a personal thing, no offense to those who prefer it.) My "A" lady wants to also give me a mild sedative...she mentioned Versed...but I'm not keen on the idea of drug-induced amnesia, kinda creeps me out! The other benzodiazepines are not nearly as likely to produce amnesia, (even though they're longer acting) so I'm gonna talk to her about maybe trying Ativan (lorazepam) instead. Anyone have experience with either of these...in a surgical setting? Many women prefer not to remember, but the huge control freak that I am, I want to remember what went on in there! Not because I'm worried about saying something goofy or anything (many people's concern) but simply because I want to be aware. I'm crazy like that

Also, the epidural is being left in for post-op pain, without a narcotic added, only Marcaine. I am allergic to every narcotic that I've ever tried, so after the epi comes out it's probably IV Toradol for me. I've heard this works great for many people. Any experience? Good or bad. I also plan on asking "A" lady for an anesthetic "block" at the incision site after the epi comes out also. This works great for many women, so why not try it!

Also, how would you best describe the pain afterwards? I know it varies greatly from one to another, but could it best be described as excruciating menstrual type pain (cramps), more of a very sore, tender pain, or worse than either of those? Can ya tell I've never had surgery?

Okay, one more....how about bleeding afterwards? Heavy, medium, light, barely spotting? And how long does the bleeding usually last?

I truly appreciate any insight!! Hystersisters rocks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2002, 06:47 AM

I used versed 10mg po last week for a breast biopsy. I remember every bit of it. I was just a little relaxed. Kinda like vallium. Hope this helps. TAH/BSO 12/31 princess in waiting
Unread 12-11-2002, 07:28 AM

They gave me versed while I waited to go to the OR, (and during my surgery along with the other meds to put me to sleep). It just made me feel calm. I still knew what was happening, but it didn't freak me out any more. I climbed onto the op. table and did some people watching while I waited to be put out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2002, 07:30 AM

Hi Gentry!

I had Versed administered prior to going into the OR. I remember everything about going in until they put the anesthesia mask over my face---I was just very relaxed and "loopy". Of course, everyone is different and some do have the anmesia effect.

When I awoke in recovery I did not have any pain meds on board yet, as my BP was low. The pain was very similar to some of the severe menstrual cramps I had deal with over the years and it was tolerable, I did not feel out of control with pain. In recovery I was given a morphine injection. Four hours later I was given a Demerol injection----after that I was switched to oral Vicodan and Toradol. Toradol is a wonderful drug in my book! My pain level was probably about a 4 in recovery. Never went above 3 after that. I went home the day after surgery (I had LAVH/BSO) and after day two at home, went off the Vicodan and used Ibuprofen only for about a week, after that nothing.

The bleeding was always light. Kind of a light pinkish brown. I only went through 2 pads in the hospital, then switched to mini-pads at home. I had light discharge/spotting for about 3 weeks.

Hope this information helps.

Best Wishes to you!

's
Unread 12-11-2002, 07:51 AM
DRUGS OF CHOICE

Hey there!!! I love to chat about surgery and stuff.....I had a great experience with the whole thing....was given some Versed in the holding area...and don't remember too much of the trip to the OR....Do recall them telling me to lean forward for my spinal....woke up right at the end of surgery and was pretty awake....yacked with the recovery room nurse waiting for my feet to thaw...think I was exhausted by the time I hit the OR so the Versed made me relaxed into a nice sleep....I was on a Demerol pump for pain....my DR does not like morphine...makes too many itchy and the Demeral worked fine.....I did get a IM shot of Toradol for back pain and it worked just great....think my back was hurting from the OR table....They disconnected me from the pump the morning after surgery and I did fine on Tylenol or Advil....
Spinal or epidural is the way to go if you can....did have a tad bit of nausea when I drank a sip of 7up right after surgery....Zofran IV push took care of that and I ate lunch(regular diet) and drank tons of water the rest of the day.....
Don't be afraid of the Versed....I remembered just enough and shall leave it at that....Good luck and let us know how you are doing....

lilly
Unread 12-11-2002, 06:08 PM
drugs

Pass the Versed!!!! I loved it I was so nervous right before surgery and my main concern was nasea. I asked for versed and phenergan and love them!! Was Great did the epidural hated the morphine though it did itch somthin' fierce! Toradol is great but as you know only use it for a very short time. One more drug of choice was the tylox!!!! I had never had that before !!! Just that & phenergan!! The versed though I would truly recomend just discuss how much you want to be alert - I did not want to know what was going on I was more nervous because I did not want to know when I was bein' cut-( they ended up cutting me from hip to hip) so the 4mg of versed was great I slept and told my dr. "how sweet she is and how much I love her" through the procedure.he he he !! best wishes to you! Its the best thing I ever did!!
Unread 12-11-2002, 07:07 PM

Hi,
I am also a nurse and had my surgery Oct 11 of this year. I was really anxious and had 1 mg ativan while waiting - did nothing - so i had another mg and still - nothing. I seldom take any drugs. I have to be talked into tylenol, usually!!!!!! I also had epidural, but just for post-op pain control. No way I wanted to be awake for ANYTHING. Part of that is due to the fact that they had no idea what they would find when they opened me up. They went in to look for an "abdominal mass". No idea it was a huge pedunculated fibroid. Thank God that was all it was - they had me expecting the worst. Anyway, my experience with the epidural was not good, to say the least. I had epidural with my first delivery and it was great. This one also started out great. About 12 hrs post, though, the catheter slipped or something. I got full sensation back to the incisional area, and my left thigh went completely numb. The nurses kept telling me that the anesthetist would come to check me out, but it was our (canadian) Thanksgiving long weekend and no one ever came. I had 2 mg of morphine, which helped a little. I did not get relief for about 7 hrs more. They gave me a morphine pump, which was effective. Only used it overnight and was onto tylenol #3 by the next day. I have to say I sure would not rely on epidural for surgery after that experience. Hope this story helps you make decisions. Best of luck with your surgery.

Maureen

Unread 12-11-2002, 07:39 PM
wow, drugs man...

I had various experiences with versed. In some instances I have had amnesia. With my TAH the versed just caused major preop relaxation. I remember everything until the mask went on my face. As for Toradol-it's my hero! I was having major nausea with morphine-throwing up after abdominal surgery *****. By evening the night of my surgery I had quit using the PCA. After a few hours the nurses figured out I wasn't using anything for pain at all (it was fairly managable, although I don't recommend it. Better than puking though). A very kind heart suggested Toradol. I received IV injections of it along with extra strength Tylenol. I was up the next morning and moving. Yes, I was uncomfortable but it was tolerable. After I went home I just used 800mg ibuprophen. So, it is possible to go without. If you can tolerate them, great! But for those of us who don't do so well there is hope.
And that is my two cents...
Sheryl

as for bleeding-very little. Until I really messed up at 8 weeks-but that's another story.
Unread 12-11-2002, 07:40 PM

Not sure about Versed, but IV Toradol is right up there on my favorite things list with CHOCOLATE! Good stuff!
Unread 12-11-2002, 08:08 PM

I had 10 mg of Valium in pre-op. I was stressing BIG TIME and it really calmed me down. Remeber them taking me to the OR, giving me the Duramorph spinal and then putting the mask on my face. The spinal was great for post-op pain during the first 24 hours. It did make me itchy, but a dose of Benadryl in my IV took care of that. Had IV Toradol after the first 24 hours AND Percocet PO. There was only a brief period where I thought the pain was unmanagable...that was a few hours after they took the cath out and I was having some major bladder spasms. Ditropan helped that. Once home I took 2 Aleve twice a day and Percocet as needed for the first few weeks. I'd say that if you have a high pain tolerance and are determined, you will probably do okay without narcotic pain meds.

As far as bleeding...I spotted for about 24 hours and that was it!

Whatever you decide, I hope your surgery and recovery go well. Let us know!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register