Returning to Work | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Returning to Work Returning to Work

Unread 12-12-2002, 05:31 AM
Returning to Work

Hi All ,Looking for suggestions. - Am scheduled for TAH - BSO on 12-18-02. Cancelled bladder portion due to recovery time involved. Have taken 3 days off work before 15 off for Christmas break. Planning to return to work then - 18 days off. Have purchased panty girdles to keep tummy held up. DH worried I will have to take days w/o pay, so I'm going back to work. I travel between 3 buildings, so I am gathering resources to "plant" temporarily so I wont' have to carry as much around w/me. Been on Lupron since Aug.'02. DH thinks I need HRT NOW. I was not going to travel that path unless necessary, and now I'm second guessing myself. With going back to work, would HRT hellp???? All suggestions welcome - Pam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2002, 05:40 AM
Dec 3 TAH/BSO

I had my TAH/BSO on December 3, 2002 I do not want to even think about going back to work. YOu will wear yourself out and it will take forever to heel you need rest and lots of it. Remeber this is a major surgery 6-10 inch insision in your stomach all muscles cut and stiches internal and external.

I understand about the money do you have short term disability at your work that would pay part of your pay while you are off. That is what I did I took short term disability.

The ladies here will help you and give you lots of great advise but please do not russ back to work you will only take longer to heal.

TAH/BSO December3, 2002, Endo, Edhesions, Fibroids, PAin, Bleeding
Unread 12-12-2002, 06:56 AM
Returning to Work

Every individual is different when it comes to recovery. It sounds like you have made alot of preparation to go back to work at a little under 3 week post op. I believe with a TAH, it is a recommended 6-8 week recovery because it is major surgery. IMHO, you might want to do some research on this site about going back to work and get some ideas of what other sisters have gone through. It's great to plan ahead, just be prepared that you might have to make exceptions to your plans if necessary. Finances can be a tough thing but from experience you could make things worse in the long run if you don't heal properly. Some other things you might consider depending on your job, is part time an option or some work from home??? I went back at the beginning of my 3 week post op from a LAVH(no large incision) part time, it was very difficult and I still had a few days the following 3 weeks that I had to take off due to exhaustion and pain. Please be careful and take care of yourself.
This is a terrible time of year to struggle with financial decisions, maybe your DH and you could find ways to cut the budget so you could take off some add'l time. You really need to concentrate right now on being healthy for surgery and recovery, try not to stress yourself out(much easier said than done). Things always seem to have a way of working themselves out in the long run, we will keep you in our prayers.

DLK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2002, 08:03 AM
TAH/BSO

Hi Pam,
Please PLEASE, be careful about your recovery. You only have one chance to heal properly. There is no way I could have returned to work after 3 weeks. And I think I recovered pretty well, and thought I was having an easy time. During my 3rd week my DH did have to go out of town for several days and I managed just fine alone. But it's not like work. And my job is not lifting or hard. Just the tiredness really gets to you. I did return part time 6 weeks after surgery. And I'm very glad I went back part time. You don't mention your age, but I'll say mine, I'm 51 and maybe if you're much younger you could return earlier than I did. But don't push yourself too much.
Best wishes
Unread 12-12-2002, 09:45 AM
Returning to Work

Have you talked to your DR to get an idea when you will be cleared to return to work? A lot of companies require a letter from the DR prior returning so they can't be held liable for any complications that may arise from an early return.

I had a TAH/BSO. By 4 weeks I was feeling pretty good, and really bored, but I still got tired easily and needed a nap most afternoons.

HRT - each person is different, but, I was on provera for quite a while before surgery to control the bleeding. I was a total b***c for 10 days every month. My emotions and mood swings were terrible. I am on Estrace 1mg/day and have been since 2 weeks after surgery. DH has commented several times on the change my attitude and one of my employees told me I'm like a different person. I don't give the HRT all the credit - I feel so much better now physically that I also credit that with the improvement!

best wishes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register