Hot flashes still after all these years. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hot flashes still after all these years. Hot flashes still after all these years.

Unread 09-17-2021, 08:06 PM
Hot flashes still after all these years.

So here is a little background information about me. I started having hot flashes when I was 40 years old. Had my hormones tested many times, always came back normatl. I had a hysterectomy at age 46 but I kept my ovaries. (that was in 2003). A couple of years later my doctor tested my hormone level and stated that I was in menopause. I still was having hot flashes. My family doctor didn't believe in HRT due to a big study that had been published. All she would offer me was an antidepressant but I was already on it. Finally around age 55 (so far 15 years of hot flashes) they disappeared. Well now I just turned 65 and guess what, The hot flashes are back. What gives? And what are my options.... from what I have read, it is too many years post menopause to start HRT. I have tried all sorts of herbal formulas, but nothing works. Is there any hope to get rid of these hot flashes? Has this happened to others or am I an abnormality? Is there any options?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2021, 10:47 AM
Re: Hot flashes still after all these years.

Hello Levanah.
My surgery was Oct. 12, 2012. Kept 1 ovary and that was it. Didn't have hot flashes and night sweats until 2016-2017. Tried whatever "natural" was available, i.e. black cohosh, soy, progesterone, cbd and others. Not HRT though. Some were effective, at least mildly or for a while, and other things weren't (for me anyways). But the last year or so the flashes and sweats have been a thorough pain in the ***. I am not interested in HRT mainly due to a fear of breast cancer. Right or wrong, that is my reason. Anyway, in near the end of August of this year my husband and I drove 5 hours to a legal state and bought me some weed to try. Never did it before and I am 57 years old. But those hot flashes can make us desperate. So far I can tell you that smoking a puff or 2 at the most (bought some pre-rolls) stops the hot flashes for me. So does 1/4 of a gummy. I can tell when it is wearing off because the flashes start again. I am WAY too busy to go around being high all the time so the smallest level of cannabis to be effective is as far as I am willing to go. If I get too buzzy I take some cbd tincture to knock it down. I am still experimenting with the dosing and I understand there are different amounts of THC levels to these things but 5 hours one way was enough for me so we bought a variety to try. I realize I could buy it where I live illegally but legal weed is lab tested for purity. I see you are in Canada so it is legal there anyway.
p.s. The first night I took 5 puffs (was also dealing with horrid insomnia). WAYYYY to much. Now it is one or two puffs tops. Gummies are easier. First time took a whole one and again WAYYYY too much. So go small and slow if you are a nubie like me. Also I don't do it everyday, only when it gets to be over the top. So for reference, this is September 26 (been about 5-6 weeks) and I have used about 1 and a half pre-rolls and 2 gummies.
Best of luck and I will be thinking of you.
X

Tags
menopause

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register